Canadian Soccer League 2011

Discussion in 'Canada' started by whyspotsonball, Jun 11, 2011.

1. whyspotsonball

Apr 9, 2007
    midwest
    How many foreign players and from where?

2. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Nobody really keeps track of that.

3. whyspotsonball

Apr 9, 2007
    midwest
    I'm new to watching the CSL but noticed Toronto Croatia and looked them up in wikipedia, they have a long history. Looks like this will be a fun league to follow.

4. bettermirror

bettermirror Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Fraser Valley
    It's a good league. Basically the top tier of amateur soccer and is semi-pro certainly. I suggest amateur because it isn't full-time pro and I don't believe all players get paid. But it has good players certainly. It's above PDL I believe in quality of play. I wish it would be the beginning of a regionalized national league. BC has the PCSL which could be developed further, and this was investigated. A game between Croatia and ACBC was held in BC, which ACBC won. I believe the intent was to compare ability and for "powers that be" to talk. Nothing has come of it yet, so I don't suspect anything will.

I am sure one of the blocks was the fee to join CSL. PCSL is strictly amateur, except maybe some paid coaches.

5. whyspotsonball

Apr 9, 2007
    midwest
    I plan on being in Toronto the week on July 22, what team would the CSL fans recommend for me to see that week?

Also any predictions on the top 3 teams at year end?

6. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    A lot of the clubs in the league are in the Toronto area, so you have a good selection.

Here's some of the games in the area that will take place while you are here:

Fri, Jul 22 SC Toronto vs TFC Academy
    Fri, Jul 22 Toronto Croatia vs Brampton City Utd
    Sun, Jul 24 North York Astros vs Windsor Stars
    Sun, Jul 24 Brampton City Utd vs Brantford Galaxy
    Sun, Jul 24 York Region Shooters vs Toronto Croatia

The last game listed here is a match between the top two clubs in the league so that's probably your best bet.

7. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    There are no import restrictions in the CSL so some teams have a few imports, some have almost none.

By my count there are 126 foreign players from 45 countries. Information on all players is not available though.

There is also one player listed as from Republika Srpska, but since that country doesn't actually exist as an independent entity and definitely isn't recognized by FIFA. So I guess you could count him as Bosnian.

Some of these "foreign" players are also probably foreign-born, but raised in Canada. There is also the case of Diego Maradona's nephew (also named Diego Maradona) that plays for North York Astros (on loan from a team in Argentina). He was born in Canada, but raised in Argentina. Does he count as foreign or not?

Toronto FC Academy is the only CSL team with no Foreign players.

8. whyspotsonball

Apr 9, 2007
    midwest
    I see Toronto Croatia won a global tournament for Croatian teams, pretty cool, probably a fun trip! Do they drink beer or wine in Croatia?

9. bettermirror

bettermirror Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Fraser Valley
    They drink both - plus a local hard alcohol I can pronounce but not spell.....and they drink a lot of it!

10. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Croatian vodka is called "Rou-ka" or at least it's pronounced that way. It kinda tastes like liquorice if you can get over the burning and taste it.

11. whyspotsonball

Apr 9, 2007
    midwest
    I'm coming to Toronto in a week or so , I guess I'll get some Rou-Ka since I plan to go to a Toronto Croatia game.

12. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Toronto Croatia actually play in Mississauga. A city of ~750,000 at the Western fringes of Toronto.

13. bettermirror

bettermirror Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Fraser Valley
    Wasn't referring to Croat Vodka....was referring to schlivovitz...(but that is obviously incorrect spelling)

14. whyspotsonball

Apr 9, 2007
    midwest
    Can someone give me the official address of the toronto croatia home field in Mississauga for my gps thanks

15. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    256 Centennial Park Road , Etobicoke , Ont , M9C5N.

16. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    As Polygong mentiones, they play at Centennnial Park Stadium which is actually in Etobicoke near the intersections of Rathburn and Renforth. If you're driving, it's an easy drive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centennial_Park_Stadium

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Centen...4002,-79.58377&spn=0.007118,0.013078&t=h&z=17

If you are taking the TTC, you will need to catch the #48 bus at the Royal York Subway Station. It will get you to the south end of Centennial Park and then you can stroll north past the parking lots to the stadium.

http://www3.ttc.ca/images/fixedImages/TTCRideGuide_4.pdf

Here's a link to the bus schedule. You'll be travelling almost to the end of the line.

http://www3.ttc.ca/Routes/48/Westbound.jsp

17. whyspotsonball

Apr 9, 2007
    midwest
    Thanks for directions to everyone, the address is going in my GPS thanks again

18. whyspotsonball

Apr 9, 2007
    midwest
    I attended the Croatia - Shooters game, quite enjoyable, didnt get any Rouka though, bummer!!!

19. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Hope you liked it, Shooters and TorCro are perennial favourites in the league!

20. Pavel_S

Pavel_S New Member

Aug 3, 2011
    Hey guys, someone tell me what's wrong with St. Catharines Roma Wolves lately ? Defeat 1-5 against TFC Academy and 2 red cards ? Do they have some problems or what ?

21. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    They melt down midway through every season, it never makes any sense.

22. whyspotsonball

Apr 9, 2007
    midwest
    How does the championship work? Does everyone get in the playoffs?

23. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    top eight teams. Quarter finals are two-legged, semis and final are single match.

24. ottawasportsfan

Mar 18, 2005
    Has anyone heard if ottawa will be back in 2012?

25. bettermirror

bettermirror Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Fraser Valley
    good question! they have NASL in 2012.