Canadian Premier league

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mikehurst21, Feb 3, 2016.

1. waltlantz

waltlantz Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Why is Liga MX the La Liga of Concacaf?

2. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The best league in the region

3. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Atlantic Selects "HFX Wanderers" defeats Fortuna Dusseldorf U team
    CPL HFX Wanderers will have a great pool of players in Atlantic Canada.

Attendance
    Stands were pretty full, HFX Wanderers will succeed

Potential kit deal for the league?

4. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    They are the de-facto Cavalry B team. Great win for the very Canadian Heavy roster!!!

5. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    I expect to see several of those players in CPL next year.

I'd like Musse and Danto to hopefully play for their hometowns of Winnipeg.

crazypete13 repped this.
  6. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I may be in the minority here but I hope it's not Adidas or Nike.

7. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002

8. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports18/18l1o161.htm

above is the link to a sound file of:

My interview with Carmine Isacco on Sunday July 29, 2018 after the League 1 Ontario game played at Vaughan Grove
    between Woodbridge Strikers (the home team) and Vaughan Azzurri. Woodbridge scored a late goal to win
    the game 4-3.

I asked Isacco before the game if he'd give me an interview after the game.

Isacco was just named on Friday as one of the assistant coaches the same press conference that named Jimmy Brennan
    as the head coach of 'York 9 FC' in the new Canadian Premier League starting in April 2019.

The questions were who how he was recruited to the team, how he could fit the time in or would he drop duties
    he has right now coaching the Vaughan Azzurri of League 1 Ontario and the Men's and Women's soccer teams
    at York University. Finally if he thinks any of the players from L1O will be able to make the jump to the
    new league.

Rocket Robin
    robing@eol.ca
    Twitter @RocketRobin01

9. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  10. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Seems like the league still won't talk to them, lol

Good for Vancouver to reach out to Pacific and Cavalry but It's a bit presumptuous to assume that they will accept being treated as affiliates. They might take some loans as long as it a fit for them and they could demand some kind of buying option to be available to some of them.

Whatever happens, it will be a win -win, but Vancouver haven't figure that part yet

11. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    ^ You may be reading a bit much into the statement. Lenarduzzi talks about loaning players, not any sort of affiliation.

A loan can easily be a win win regardless of buying options. It will also be in the interest of both leagues to have a reasonable relationship if they want to sell players. Certainly as a Canadian soccer fan, I want to see Canadian players developed whether they are in the CPL or MLS or spend some time in both.

12. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Congratulations to Calgary Foothills for winning the PDL Championship. The current head coach Tommy Wheeldon has been promoted to head coach and GM of Cavalry. It will be interesting to see which players promotes to CPL

13. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    York 9 are organizing a youth game like HFX Wanderers did
    1027232550110916609 is not a valid tweet id

14. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    The York9 Founding Member numbers are pretty poor compared to the other CPL numbers, so I can see them taking a bath on this. I'm still thinking they will be the first to fail.

15. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still curious as to why they are including York9 in their inaugural season... If the plan is for them to start playing in Toronto proper, then move out to the York region in 2 years, why not just wait the 2 years and start fresh? They are basically going to be squandering the next 2 years and come into York bruised and battered...

If interest is as strong as the CPL/CSA says, surely there are better options that could have been picked?

16. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    too soon to tell and very premature. That ownership has lots of money behind it. They are in this for the long haul.

17. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Anyone know how much the pop-up stadium cost at Wanderers Ground? I see a lot about it, even how much SEA has to pay per event, but nothing about what it cost to put up or even what amenities are 'temporary'.

...asking for a friend.

18. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The ownership is very wealthy. They had an existing facility in York Region. They were pretty much ready to go for 2019. They haven't started to promote in North York so too soon to tell. I think North York will support the team while they are there.

It's not a bad idea to start in North York and build a fanbase there. Once they move to York Region, that fanbase could very well keep supporting them. They will move 2 subway stations north of York University stadium and I'm sure shuttles will get fans from the station. They would still be closer than TFC playing at BMO Field.

19. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #1994 Robert Borden, Aug 8, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Expansion Franchise repped this.
  20. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Yeah, that $1200 seems to be for the actual... ground to place the stadium upon. This does give a good background of what SEA would need to provide in the temporary stadium, though: there is clearly no lighting or appropriate restroom facilities or locker rooms, etc. there.

21. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just having money isn't enough. They also need to have a good plan.. Starting out in a different area than where you plan to is not part of a good plan..

Quick question though, are the shuttles for the future home, or the temporary home? Because if the plan is to rely upon shuttles from the station to the stadium (and back) that's not a good plan either. A significant number of people aren't going to take a subway, only to queue up again for a shuttle. Either the stadium needs to be within walkable distance from the station, or the subway can't be relied upon as a mode of transportation to the stadium for a significant number of fans.

22. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I dunno about this logic. Went to a couple of NRL games at Moore Park in Sydney that had a significant number(many thousands) of fans shuttled from Central Station to the stadium on game days. So if the service is done right, I can see this working.

My concern would be that any shuttle service would need to be running enough buses to cover whatever demand from fans arriving on line 1, and I have no idea what that demand looks like.

23. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    If my experience of when the Braves played at Turner Field is anything to go by, taking shuttles to the stadium isn't nearly the problem that leaving the stadium is. People show up at various times, but they all leave at the same time and it's hard to manage that kind of surge capacity.

24. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's soooo early to call them a failure. I don't know their long term marketing strategy but the plan is sound. It was York University Stadium in North York of the field where TFC II played in Vaughan. York Stadium was a no brainer and North York is a fantastic location, far enough from TFC to build a fanbase in both locations.

The York Stadium is at the heart of York University Stadium and is surrounded by 2 new subway stations. The line ends in Vaughan, York Region. I'm speculating the shuttles but normal bus routes could do the job just as well. BMO Field isn't next to a subway station and people have to trek there by streetcars or buses and that hasn't sunk TFC.

25. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's certainly fair, but I haven't seen shuttles work effectively in MLS yet. They can be a rather expensive cost for teams and they can be quickly slashed, or not implemented well enough at the start.