Canadian Premier league

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mikehurst21, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

2. thekorean

thekorean Member

Jan 10, 2017
    Club:
    New York City FC
    I am glad most CPL teams are not rocking with BORING names like CITY FC or CITY UNITED.

Hamilton Bengals FC has a nice ring to it.

Deleted User x repped this.
  3. Coup de boule

Coup de boule Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Ottawa
    You're not from the NCR, are you? Have you ever visited?

4. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I lived there, worked there and born in Quebec.

5. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  6. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

7. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

8. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Those who kept claiming that CPL would be below or at level with USL better reconsider that statement.

AS Blainville, the Quebec Champion of a D3 Canadian league are giving them a tough time despite being down 1-0. Blainville is far from being way in over their heads.

Canadian D3 soccer from Quebec and Ontario is massively being underestimated. Without a doubt that CPL will be way above USL in quality. It was always projected to be between NASL and MLS at launch

9. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    I'm going to the game on Wednesday so I'll hold off on posting my opinion until then.

10. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I've been trying without success to find an actual box score for the game to see which players Ottawa played. Did they play their first team for the opening leg? Or were they like TFC last year who played an entire backup roster for the opening leg in Ottawa? That would make a difference to how much weight to put on the 1-0 result.

11. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Looks like first team to me

12. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    just like the quote from my own article:

June 23, 2018 League 1 Ontario Quarterfinal match

Pro Stars FC 0 Toronto FC III 3

my game report at: http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports18/18l1o117.htm

Dichio said he wants the players that played with TFCA to keep their love for the game

and continue to play. He said he'd love them to play in the new Canadian Premier League

and help the Canadian National team. Wow! Is he ever a contrast to TFC President

Bill Manning and his feelings comparing CanPrem in Toronto to competing pizza restaurants.

crazypete13 repped this.
  13. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
  14. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Rob Friend on what led the British Columbia team to move from Frase Valley to Vancouver Island

The league maintains that a CPL team will be on the mainland in the near future

15. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Metro Vancouver news
    Credit to a fellow Voyageurs

Latest AFTN podcast with Rob Friend has further info on a CPL Metro Vancouver club coming about :

"We've worked a year and a half on the Fraser Valley and we're not just going to walk away and let it die"

"CPL wants a team in the lower mainland (Metro Vancouver)."

"Plenty of talks going on in the lower mainland".

- Langley and Surrey are main identified areas of interest and far enough removed from Vancouver Whitecaps territory.

http://aftn.ca/episode-278-the-aftn-soccer-show/

16. waltlantz

waltlantz Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Yank here. Fascinating stuff. Hope for all the best because a strong Canadian team and league will really help concacaf.

What regions in Quebec would be suitable for a team besides Quebec City?

crazypete13 repped this.
  17. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Outside of Quebec City, Montreal Metropolitain area would be a clear choice. Montreal is big enough for more than one top Tier team. The Montreal Impact aren't located in the most populated area of the city. While Downtown would be fantastic, north of the mountain near Cotes-Des-Neiges on Montreal University grounds would be more than desirable

The league is also very interested in Sherbrooke market.

This league will greatly help Canada soccer and add more depth to the pool. As you pointed out, all of this only helps CONCACAF

18. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Depends what you believe is necessary to support a team with the budget proposed for the CPL and whether you think it is worth competing for a market with an MLS team.

I say Quebec City is the only market this league should look at in Quebec. (Maybe not forever but certainly until the league is well established.)

At the other end of the spectrum are people who say any market with a population over 200 000 is fine. In this case you could have teams in Montreal (competing with the Impact), Quebec City, Gatineau (the Quebec side of the Ottawa region), and Sherbrooke.

19. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm not entirely sure that a CPL team in a market with an MLS team is necessarily competing. Sometimes increased supply can create its own demand.

Robert Borden repped this.
  20. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #1720 Robert Borden, Jun 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    Exactly. And it's also a given CPL and MLS wont be playing at the same time.

As a "North Yorker", having a team in North York would be incredible. BMO field is far for me. Same for Montreal where a downtown or north side team would be surrounded by more population than Impact currently are. There's just enough people for both team and I applaud the league to pointing that out.

Lots of fans would be looking at both teams anyways.

For better, it forces our MLS teams to adjust and change which is good for everyone. CPL will go heavy on local content and that might force the MLS team to do the same. I'm still going to follow MLS teams in CCL and playoffs but I'll go live to CPL... just closer to me

21. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Winnipeg Valour FC
    Rob Gale
    General Manager & Head coach
    Former U18 & U20 coach for Canada

22. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    What are people's thoughts of success for each club?

I'll comment on the cities I'm familiar with.

I was a season ticket holder for FC Edmonton. I loved going to games. However, I'm not sure how suddenly they're going to attract 5000 fans per game. Their stadium situation is still not ideal and many in the city think the Eddies are beneath them.

I grew up in Halifax. I think they have the perfect stadium plan and location. The equivalent of MLS and their mantra of "downtown soccer specific stadiums". I was pessimistic before I learned more about the club, but now, I think they have a great chance of being a success and attracting lots of fans.

I currently live in Manitoba. I don't like Valour's plan to play at IG field. It's a 33,000 seat stadium. I don't understand how there's going to be any atmosphere. I'm a bit pessimistic about Winnipeg but not as pessimistic as I am about Edmonton.

23. waltlantz

waltlantz Member

Jul 6, 2010
    I have heard Sherbrooke scuttlebutt too. I think it would be the stretching point of size though.

I know about York9 and potential Peel Region team in Toronto and Fraser Valley team for Vancouver.

What are some of the major subregions in the Montreal area that have enough of a population base and distinct identity to support a team?

24. Impactsupporter

Impactsupporter New Member

May 18, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact

From Montreal the major subregions are:
    North Shore (Laval with Laurentides and Lanaudiere) close to 1 million
    South Shore (Longueuil but the region stretches to Chambly, Chateauguay, Vercheres)
    West island (Lachine, Dorval, Pointe Claire, DDO, Roxboro)
    East End (Montreal East, Riviere des Prairies, Pointe aux Trambles, St-Leonard, Anjou,)

Hope this helps.

25. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    @Impactsupporter answer is good.

I'm just adding the vision of CPL for the long term.

They want to occupy the top 3 tiers and they don't believe that 1 large metro area should only get 1 team and they don't believe in "territorial rights" like most American leagues do.

Paul Beirne said that the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) could support 10 clubs across divisions like most big European areas currently do. We are more like them than the US who have so many big areas. Montreal Metropolitain fits that too.

CPL seems 200k the minimum to support a CPL club. The bigger the population area, the more clubs it can support.

That's how I see Montreal Metro
    CPL Tier 1
    Montreal - Université de Montreal

• Cotes-des-neiges, NDG=166k
    • Montreal Nord=84k
    • Outremont=25k
    • St-Laurent=100k
    • Villeray-St Michel-Parc Extension=145k
    • Ahuntsic-Cartierville=134k
    • Anjou=45k
    • Cote St-Luc=34k
    • Mont-Royal=20k
    • Hampstead=7k
    • Montreal-Ouest=5k
    Total of nearby population excluding Laval, Rosemont-Petite Patrie and Plateau Mont-Royal
    ~765k living nearby or close to the blue and north parts of the orange Metro lines.

Montreal Impact is located on the eastern side of Montreal on the green line. Calculating the nearby boroughs and areas near the green line, you get a similar figure

Montreal is big enough for 2 top tier teams

CPL II

Montreal West Island
    ~300k (mainly anglophone)

Laval
    (also an Island...Ile-Jesus)
    ~422k

Longueuil-Agglomeration

(Longueuil, Brossard, St-Bruno-Montarville, Boucherville, St-Lambert)
    ~420k

*Longueuil and Laval being link by the metro makes for easy derbies. Soon the West Island will also be linked to the main network

CPL III
    • Existing PLSQ Clubs