Canadian Premier league

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mikehurst21, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Last month's meeting of 12 ownership group in the league's office on King Street East proves that they have indeed evaluated those bids.

If you read the original press release, they have never said that they would make an announcement as soon as the evaluation process was over.

Those meetings in Toronto did happen and even Tom Fath who was in attendance confirmed it. So the answer is that the league have 12 viable ownership, so they do exist.

Hardcore fans are pretty much the ones that are following the league's development. Those fans are what...less than 1% of the population?

Casuals and non-fans don't obsess over it like we do, some heard about it and some didn't. They'll get interested once the league comes out with an official press conference. Once the league does and goes fully mainstream, they need to have ALL the answers, no "maybes or we'll see". Hardcore fans aren't enough to damage the brand, let alone the pessimists within those hardcore.

2. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    For someone willing to give the league a ton of credit of unsaid things you seem irrantionally mad at Bobby. Nowhere did he say that is all he has done. He does not say it was a quick glimpse or that it is the only thing that he has done. He notes that he was looking at page and it made him wonder.

In his reply to me, it is clear he has talked to the Bombers at some point.

You would not see me parting with any money betting on 2019 at this point.

There is an old theory in media releases that you should not leave sentences to be completed by the audience....or if you do, make sure the only way to complete the sentence is the way you would end it. Did they really think the completion of the line:

"....that bids would be evaluated within the following 60-90 days"

Was gonna be " and keep the results of that evaluation a secret" or was the audience more likely thinking it ended with "...and then we will get back to you and tell you which teams are getting in.

I am fully aware who i bought the tShirt from.....but it doesn't change the irony of it shipping today as we discuss this.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  3. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Is that fact or assumptions?

Beirne said they need at least 2 window transfer to build the initial rosters of teams, so I tend to agree

Fair point, not denying it leaves a lot to interpretation

Only today? can't you cancel it? lol

4. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    He is a long standing, well respected, member of the sports journalism proffession....when he attributes thoughts/beliefs to someone I tend to believe he has talked to them.

and the loss of momentum is problematic....no?

I bought it months ago.....there was some delay in shipping it....I like the irony of it, not interested in cancelling it (I would have been upset if I got an email saying "league no launching in 2018 we are refunding your tshirt money" :) )

5. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    And the Bombers went on record saying that they had no clue what they were doing and were only in it to fill stadium dates? That's clearly an opinion, not fact

What momentum? Outside of hardcore fans on social media, there isn't one. If they went full public this year and only launched in 2020 after setbacks, you'd be right. Perhaps you're seeing the logic in waiting to be 100% ready before coming out.

An official announcement will lead to momentum from way more people than just us hardcore fans. You don't want to lose that momentum once you have casuals, MSM and none-fans attentions who are effectively those who will make or break your league.

The risk in staying silent is minimal right now. Status quo is better than bad press

6. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm actually relieved that 2018 isn't happening. A 6 team league is bad optics and there was no way they'd get quality players except accepting paying them a full season for half a season of play.

2019 or 2020 is better when stadiums are ready and you have a quality roster + staff to start

I think I lost that T-Shirt

7. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Clearly an opinion....but based on his history and reputation not one that he would form without talking to them....that is my point.

You see the fundamental difference between you and I on this is that you see the delays as them being in control of their situation and just making sure the ducks are all lined up before going fully public and willing to dismiss their previous going public as, well i really don't know what you think they did in May.

I take the silence as the many groups they met with did not buy into their business plan and they have spent all this time (and likely some future time) as either

a) amending the business plan; or
    b) getting a new bunch of owners/investors; or
    c) sitting in silence waiting for those owners to just magically accept the business plan; or
    d) some combination of the above.

8. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That's fair

Also fair. Whatever causing the silence, they don't want the backstage discussions be made public, which is normal.

The right answer is that nobody knows what's going on.

Also regarding the press release, it was the CSA and not CPL that did it
    http://canpl.ca/article/a-new-era-in-canadian-professional-soccer-begins

It's accurate to say that CPL has not promised a timeline for an announcement. The fact that 12 groups met twice already means that they did go through said evaluations and like you said, they are working out the details. I'll agree with you that it doesn't mean that all his well. I;m sure there's been disagreements and setbacks.

9. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Aside from the fact that CSA is an active partner in CPL......the fact that link is to the CPLs web page suggests that this is splitting the thinnest of hairs and is a distinction no one should be asking the public to make.

10. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We're arguing over details at this point but I do see your point and I'm sure you're seeing mine too even if you disagree with the way the message is being framed

11. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    In one very clever tweet, they are, both, admitting they have been silent for a long time and suggesting stuff is about to happen.

12. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Someone on the V forums saw that some info have been added to the CPL website.

Also Tortera seems to imply that January 2018 will see some CPL news coming out

13. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #1213 Robert Borden, Dec 30, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    Former TFC captain Jimmy Brennan steps down as Aurora FC executive director

https://www.yorkregion.com/sports-s...n-steps-down-as-aurora-fc-executive-director/

Key points

• Jimmy Brennan is stepping away from soccer in Aurora. The former professional player in England and first-ever captain for Toronto FC said last week he is resigning his post as Aurora FC executive director to pursue an option in a soon-to-be-announced Canadian professional league. His resignation is effective Jan. 1.
    • It is anticipated the Canadian Premier League is slated to launch for the 2019 season and Brennan is expected to be involved with a York Region-based entry in the 10-team league.
    So...

-10 teams
    -York Region (Most likely Vaughan)

Looking good

14. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

15. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

16. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

17. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Oh, never mind, the big news was the launch of their Facebook page.

18. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    These people suck at marketing.

crazypete13 repped this.
  19. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    They have sucked me in too many times.

I am ignoring them and their league until I see a “CPL kicks off next week” announcement.

Paulo_PT and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  20. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  21. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  22. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #1222 Robert Borden, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    951119429290614790 is not a valid tweet id

David Clanachan named First Commissioner of CPL

http://canpl.ca/article/david-clanachan-named-first-commissioner-of-Cpl

The Canadian Premier League Board of Governors confirmed today the appointment of David Clanachan as the first Chairman and Commissioner of the Canadian Premier League (CPL). Canada’s highly anticipated professional men’s soccer league is set to debut in spring 2019.

Clanachan will oversee all aspects of the CPL. Clanachan’s first order of business will be to award official CPL clubs in key Canadian communities from coast to coast.

Canada Soccer confirmed membership of the CPL, along with founding cities Hamilton and Winnipeg, at its Annual Meeting of Members in May 2017. Additional CPL communities will be confirmed in the coming weeks. Clanachan will manage the day-to-day operations of the CPL out of the league’s new head office in downtown Toronto.

crazypete13 repped this.
  23. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Actual news!

Does anyone know anything about this new commissioner?

24. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Outside of what the website says, not much:

About David Clanachan

Clanachan is the Chairman of Restaurant Brands International, Canada. Having spent his whole professional career at Tim Hortons, Clanachan was named President and Chief Operating Officer of Tim Hortons Canada in 2014, and has more than 35 years with the brand. Clanachan was a key member of the leadership team that grew Tim Hortons into the iconic Canadian brand that it is today.

The Burlington, Ontario native has also been a champion of Tim Hortons’ popular Timbits Minor Sports Program – a grassroots community program sponsored by Tim Hortons Restaurant Owners across the country, which has provided millions of Canadian children with the opportunity to play house-league sports. This includes more than 300,000 Canadian children who play Timbits Soccer every year.

A passionate soccer enthusiast, Clanachan has played competitive and recreational soccer his entire life. Known for his “aggressive defending”, Clanachan still takes the pitch every week playing in the Burlington Soccer League.

25. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada