Canadian Premier league

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mikehurst21, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *shrug* Take it up with the CSA President. The Fury were notified of their desanctioning in a letter from Steven Reed who claimed it was because CONCACAF didn't think they met the "exceptional circumstances" requirement any longer.

2. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Believe me, I'm no fan of Reed and how he handled the seeding of the Canadian Championship and CONCACAF League qualifiers.

He's a hard one to read. He's not like Montagliani (what you see is what you get), there's a "two-face" element to Reed.

3. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's kind of my point.. The entire freakout started because Reed told the Fury that CONCACAF wasn't going to approve their sanctioning and, yet, you blamed the Fury and used it as an example of why the CPL can't work with OSEG.. I'm sure there are a lot of other issues going on, but that particular issue starts and ends at Reed, not OSEG.

4. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #3029 Robert Borden, Mar 28, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    I blame the Fury public handling of the news. Them staying in USL an extra season or 2 wasn't the problem. It's understandable after escaping NASL.

The problem is that CPL were talking to them the entire time and was willing to give them whatever they wanted. Again, not a problem if they need 1 or 2 seasons to see how it plays out.

1. The issue is not telling CPL and the CSA about their decision prior to going public when both were under the impression a deal was near.
    2. Worse, they doubled down via their mouthpiece on social media throwing rumours about CPL cap being too low, quality being too low, and their GM mocking the league. You see, Fury fans were expecting the move to CPL so they spin this as CPL being inferior as justification so they wouldn't turn off their fans looking forward to the move which would hurt ticket sales.
    3. As if that wasn't enough, no definitive answers on "when" they could join, "what" it would take and just saying "we'll see" & "maybe one day"
    I have a small business with a friend. No businessman in their right minds would want to do business later with such a person. That was unprofessionalism at it's worse.

CPL stayed silent for a week, issued a statement which OSEG hasn't denied and took the high ground by never bringing it up again.

What they should have done was:
    1. Communicate your decision with all parties ahead of time (CPL said they were blindsided)
    2. Come up with a PR plan together before going public. Both parties could have looked better
    3. Give a clear timetable and a clear set of requirements to join. Then CPL would know what to do...wait or move on.
    All of this was before CSA-CONCACAF drama but Rollins said that the CSA was furious as the Fury were told in 2017 that CPL starting meant the end of their sanctioning. For OSEG to come out and play the blindsided victim because of the sanctioning issue is ridiculous, unprofessional and acting in bad faith. They knew the entire time this was coming.

You see, OSEG wanted to force the renewal of their sanction by acting dumb, hence their threat to go to CAS for an injunction because somehow, the president of OSEG somehow forgot or was daydreaming when he was told at the 2017 CSA meeting that they'd be removed from USL. The fool sits on the CSA board.

Lastly, the whole point of being super vague by saying "we'll see", "maybe one day" and "we'll be watching" is a way to force CPL to stay out of Ottawa, preserving their monopoly on the market by creating the hope that they'll come around.

You see, at it's core, CPL is a business. The owners are successful business people (like Bob Young and the Southern Family) and in business that's utterly unacceptable. So they communicate via the commissioner "we're done here".

Wouldn't be the first Ottawa sports group acting like clowns, look at Eugene Melnyk and the Ottawa Senators, a real embarrassment... that city is plagued with laughable sport ownership. Oh and OSEG bleeding money on top of that.

Good on CPL to look elsewhere. In regards to CSA, they aren't blameless in how they acted behind the curtains but OSEG's insubordination provoked them to have CONCACAF step in. I don't like the accountant "Reed" but OSEG are equally a joke

Now, the GM has magically saw the light and is praising CPL after slandering it with passive aggressive comments
    Seems like they might see that CONCACAF will enforce the de-sanction the following year (I wouldn't test Montagliani). Why would you do business with a partner who wants to join you NOW because they'd literally have no choice or they'd fold? CPL is right to be turned off.

5. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're being a little one sided here. The Fury not joining CPL should not have been a surprise to the CPL or the CSA. Yes, they had been in negotiations for the Fury to join, but the fact that after all the concessions the CPL/CSA had made the Fury still weren't agreeing should have been a pretty big indicator that they were still hesitant to join the league.

It's entirely fair that you aren't excited about the Fury's decision, but its a two way street here.. Starting up a league is a very risky proposition and the Fury are just a few years away from the collapse of a newly formed league that they were members of.. It's understandable that the Fury would be hesitant about joining another one when they are already members of a relatively stable league, that offers a certain level of play, and has significantly less risk.

Frankly, there just isn't a point in the Fury joining the CPL right now and the CSA trying to force them into the CPL just looks bad for CSA. Whether the CPL succeeds or fails isn't dependent upon the Fury and it isn't harming the CPL for the Fury to continue to play in the USL. Yeah, it might be unfair for the Fury to stay outside waiting for the CPL to prove themselves, while the CPL teams take all the risks, but thems the breaks when you're starting up a new league.

6. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #3031 Robert Borden, Mar 28, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    CPL said that they were talking the entire time. They were under the impression the deal was about to get sealed, so did the CSA. CPL, in an official statement, said they were blindsided, which OSEG and it's president hasn't denied in a rather vague statement nor publicly.

Despite them being on the fence, it was OSEG responsibility to tell CPL & CSA before going public. That's where they went wrong, not that they wouldn't sign up for the inaugural season. You don't do that in business, that's one of the quickest way to burn your bridges.

This is where we differ, all your points are 100% valid. However, it's no justification for that behavior.

what's worse is an organization that's unable to enforce it's rules and being played by a mediocre D2 team. That's embarrassing for the CSA and there was no way they would ever let that go. If they let this fly, how will you justify forcing the remaining PDL clubs in future provincial D3 leagues? They can't allow that precedent to be created.

No wonder the 3 MLS clubs are watching this closely, CSA not enforcing their powers gives them massive leverage in the future, can't have that. The longer you let the Fury jerk you around the more fight other teams will out up when they ultimately pull all of them.

That isn't the point. They should have said so, not blindside parties that will ultimately have a huge say on your future (CSA sanction and CPL refusing OSEG as owners). Seems they overestimated USL and USSF support on this because I doubt USL President lose much sleep over its players no longer having to go through customs anymore while going back to only Americans being domestics.

Further to your point, them playing in USL is essentially a barrier to CPL entering the market. A Canadian league with its capital playing in a US league is a bad scope. Ottawa being the 5th or 6 market in the country, they can't afford waiting years after them without a clear timeframe and clear conditions. We'll see is the worst way to go at it and I doubt MLS would put up with it.

CPL has only these entities to prove themselves too
    1. Toronto FC
    2. Montreal Impact
    3. Vancouver Whitecaps
    4. Investors-Sponsors etc...Business community
    5. Sanctioning bodies
    6. Fans
    OSEG are being delusional about their status in the greater scheme. There's a reason the 3 MLS teams are left alone for now while the CSA laid down the law on Ontario PDL clubs (join L10 or fold...KW United folded).

Still, they mishandled the whole thing completely and CPL might actually end up having last say on their survival

7. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OSEG's responsibility is to its fans, not the CPL or CSA. They told their fans as soon as they made the decision and, in doing so, they also notified the CPL or CSA. If the CSA and CPL want to have hurt feelings about that decision, that's their prerogative and they are more than welcome to seek an alternate ownership group in Ottawa.

The CSA is under no obligation to force the Fury to join the CPL.. The only reason this is an issue that could be embarrassing for the CSA is because the CSA made it an issue. Seriously, there is absolutely no reason why the Fury have to be in the CPL at this time. They are already doing what the CPL claims is their goal. They are providing a professional environment for Canadians to play in.

I completely understand that you don't appreciate the Fury's decision, but this is an issue because the CSA made it an issue.

8. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Maybe not to CPL, but they do to the CSA who are the ones sanctioning them to play in USL. Sanctioning is a privilege, not a right. When you're told in advance all the rules and conditions prior to sanction and you sign that contract saying "I agree", you must comply. That's a fact of life, not just soccer, that's why the whole "legal spin" is nonsense, they have no ground.

CPL? No but they can't cry foul if the league moves on and leave them in the dust when they lose their sanctioning.

That's not how business works which might end up costing them their team

The Fury, essentially, we're told that CPL starting meant that there would be no justifications under FIFA article to sanction them in USL.

You don't have to like FIFA rules but they exist, they knew beforehand as early as 2017 that it was happening and at the moment they founded the club about FIFA rules. The CSA is enforcing the rules, no more, no less. CONCACAF said they no longer comply with the "Exceptional Clause" under FIFA convention.

The interpretation of the Fury contribution to Canadian soccer is irrelevant. The CSA enforce the rules that it believes is in the best interest of Canadian soccer and came to the conclusion that Ottawa playing in a D2 American league wasn't what's best for the sport in this country.

Sure they provide a pro environment but so does CPL and potentially for the Champion, at a Continental level...which let's agree, is leagues above USL (CONCACAF League).

So, the CSA isn't amused by this, neither is most Soccer fans in this country.

9. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again.. The CSA is under no obligation to enforce those rules and it is on them to blindly hide behind the letter of the law and not allow for exceptions. Seriously, there are teams around the world that are playing in federations other than the one their country's. There is no reason why the Fury MUST be in the CPL other than the CSA feeling like a jilted little brother to the USSF.

10. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    There's a chain of command here. CONCACAF made clear how it works in their statements.

The 3 MLS clubs, Ottawa Fury and the remaining PDL clubs needs all of this to play in the USA.
    • CSA Sanction
    • USSF Sanction
    • CONCACAF Sanction
    • FIFA Sanction
    At the minute one of them says no, it's over.

Let's say the CSA really wanted to renew the Fury, CONCACAF saying no kills it. Even if CONCACAF says yes, FIFA saying no kills it.

Despite what Reed is trying to sell by trying to put in on CONCACAF court, the CSA was clearly against it as early as 2017. Regardless, it's irrelevant because the CSA saying yes isn't good enough, everyone has to say yes.

As for the other clubs playing in other confederation, they fall under the "Exceptional Clause" under FIFA article. Wales clubs do since they've been in EFL since World War 1, some older than that. Does Monaco has a league? Ottawa doesn't fall under it, simple as that.

There will come a day where someone will be looking at the 3 MLS clubs too as the Fury are dragging them into this to justify remaining in USL. Oh yeah, they are arguing that if the 3 MLS can stay, so should they.

Actually, you should wish that they comply or disappear quietly because if they keep this up and go to the CAS, that might end up forcing sanctioning bodies to put an expiry date on the MLS in Canada situation If CPL proves viable

11. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    VAR news
    1111332836165017602 is not a valid tweet id

12. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  13. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And there looks to be plenty room for growth on the other side of the field.

14. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Huge news from Saskatoon!

Businessman Joe Belan leads the ownership group for a Saskatoon team.

He presented today the Saskatchewan Summer Soccer Series or SSSS.

Similar to what York 9 and HFX Wanderers did, they will assemble the Saskatchewan Select with the best soccer soccer players in the province.

The 1st game is May 4th against the the reigning USL 2 Champions, Calgary Foothills. More games will be organized throughout the summer against top amateur clubs and professional clubs.

The main goals are
    1. Testing the Saskatoon market to bring a CPL team to the city
    2. Building the foundations of a soccer culture by presenting the product to the local media, fans and introducing sponsors to potential opportunities
    3. Providing the most often (told you so) overlook Saskatchewan talent an opportunity to be seen and scouted with games in Saskatchewan and out of the province throughout the summer.
    4. Ultimately, completing the Saskatchewan soccer pathway to professional soccer in the province
    Details and audio here
    Joe Belan will be at a Q & A tonight in Saskatoon, I'll report if I hear something

15. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    There is. There's also common sense. When you're someone's boss it is understood that you have the power to remove them from their job. That doesn't mean you formulate every instruction like, "Bob, please prepare that report or you're fired!"

The CSA was content to wait a bit (not forever) to see if the Fury situation would resolve itself naturally. Then CONCACAF stepped in unrequested. I get that the CPL wants an Ottawa team. If it isn't the Fury, they can get someone else. There was no need for anyone to "go nuclear" at this stage. If I was the CSA I'd be pissed at CONCACAF. I'd be saying, "We're monitoring the situation and, behind the scenes, steering things. If we need you, we'll let you know but leave it to us for now." Much like not threatening to fire Bob with every instruction, CONCACF should stick to matters of regional importance, not overstep the CSA about whether one team plays in a certain league for an extra year.

16. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #3041 Robert Borden, Mar 29, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    You're right but if I refuse to comply, violate the terms and conditions of my employment and act in insubordination, I expose myself to be disciplined which could lead to termination

I agree with @Yoshou here, the CSA aren't innocent in this as CONCACAF statement did contradict the CSA's explanation. Rollins had reported how unhappy the CSA was at the Fury's decision and that they were hoping that CONCACAF would do the deed.

Of course they step in, they have no choice as they also have to sanction the Fury playing in a foreign league under the "Exceptional Clause" which goes all the way to FIFA. You're viewing this within the scope of North American sports where Canadian teams routinely plays in American leagues, however within FIFA, these are Exceptional circumstances and of course these are subject to more scrutiny.

You can bet that once provincial D3 leagues starts operating out West, the USL 2 clubs will be moved or forced to fold. You can be certain that CPL progress is being monitored because the 3 MLS clubs status will be re-evaluated over time.*

*Montagliani won his second term yesterday, he's no fan of cross-border leagues, far less in regards to Canadian clubs playing in USSF leagues.

it doesn't matter, even if the CSA supported a renewal of sanction (they didn't as of 2017), CONCACAF and FIFA always had the power to override it, even the USSF can.

You're quick to dismiss that OSEG signed contracts where they were made aware of all the rules and conditions to sanctioning under theses sets of circumstances. They agreed to abide by all of them before being granted a sanction by the CSA which is conditional on abiding to FIFA's regulations. They are in breach of it as of now, they must comply or be de-sanctioned. That's how the world works.

Expansion Franchise repped this.
  17. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can only assume that you’ve never drive even a single mile over the speed limit, never walked in through the out door, and certainly never walked on the grass.

18. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    I think this more along the lines of "selling liquor while waiting on your license approval".

Robert Borden repped this.
  19. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  20. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Haha, yeah, that's crazy.

Our depth
    1. Cavallini
    2. David
    3. Larin
    4. Millar (can play striker)
    5. Ricketts
    6. Akindele
    7. Jackson-Hamel
    8. Hamilton
    He barely makes top 10

22. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah.. The fact that Haber kept getting called into CanMNT camp, even when he was between teams, was a sign of just how bad off they were at the time..

23. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    They do have a choice the same as the police have a choice whether to pull you over for doing 101 in a 100 zone. They could simply have gone along until the CSA requested they step in. That might have let everyone move along to the Fury joining in another year with everyone saving face. But, whatever; let's just get an Ottawa team in the CPL.

It would make sense to rationalize all the D3 leagues. As for the MLS teams, I don't want to say never but it may also be never. At the very least, let's let the CPL play some games and prove it will survive before we even speculate about forcing moves by teams that are worth more than the entire league they'd be moving to.

24. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I like that we have that list. A few years ago the idea of a depth chart extending past two spots was sketchy.

I wonder how long until one or more of those names breaks into the top ten all time CNT scoring list? (Thomas Radzinski and Paul Peschisolido are tied for tenth at 10 goals.)