Canadian Premier league

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mikehurst21, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    1088139447072370689 is not a valid tweet id

2. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    TV deal in the works for CPL.

3. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  4. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Seems like the CPL will be very involved with League 1 Ontario after it's acquisition
    1088276132154261504 is not a valid tweet id

5. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    If this results in large numbers of top L1O players moving easily up into the pro ranks I'm all for it. Too often in the past we've seen affiliation-type deals that looked good in a news release but never actually resulted in anything meaningful.

6. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Great interview
    1088496773616660480 is not a valid tweet id

7. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The article was just updated with the following:

Editors note: In a subsequent email to Sportsnet, the CPL confirmed that in addition to the roster requirements mentioned above by David Clanachan that another rule mandates that a minimum of three domestic players on each team must be under the age of 21 AND those players must play a minimum of 1,000 minutes per season.

8. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really not a fan of forcing teams to play certain types of players... Even if domestic/Canadians include permanent residents, it just seems so forced.

9. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think that's what they do in Liga MX and it's hard to argue against the results. Exposing young player at an earlier age to an pro environment does significantly help their development in most cases.

It's also good for the league if they develop more young guys faster so they can be sold to Europe and seeing more CPL crests attached to Canadian Men's National team.

Unak78 repped this.
  10. waltlantz

waltlantz Member

Jul 6, 2010
    On the broadcast deal, it's hard to tell.

Sportsnet has MLB during the summer and TSN has MLS during the same.

I think the CBC would be a coup, the league would be one of the networks main focus sports wise.

Plus it's not likely to cost them much to buy, not to mention the easy access.

11. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    There's TSN 2 to 5 and Sportsnet Regional channels. They need content.

12. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002

13. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    crazypete13 repped this.
  14. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    I have to disagree. I think the rule is doable. The quality of the league isn't going to be so high that this rule will hurt it. Developing young Canadians with meaningful minutes is exactly what MLS doesn't do for us. I like it.

Unak78 and Robert Borden repped this.
  15. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    1088938173911183360 is not a valid tweet id

16. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    crazypete13 repped this.
  17. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Minutes should be earned, never given. The rule should've been to give under 21 players a total of 1000 minutes over the course of the season, which is already stricter than Liga MX. That way, the under 21's will have to fight for the right to play those minutes.

Everyone who supports this rule seems to want to believe that it will lead to faster development of younger players. No one wants to consider the potential adverse effect - that younger players won't respect the notion of first team minutes as a privilege that has to be earned. This rule essentially hands three players a total of 11 starts each, with little regard to performance. Conversely, if the rule was 1000 minutes total of under 21's, you preserve the ability of coaches to teach consequence.

While I'm glad that we now have a league where the quota is in favour of Canadians, and therefore they will be given more slack, it doesn't mean that we have to support everything unconditionally just because it's "by Canadians, for Canadians." The league must be built on meritocracy, otherwise what you gain in nationalism, you will lose in respect.

crazypete13 repped this.
  18. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    I respect your opinion, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I like the Canadian focus. I also like the fact that a few Canadian kids won't rot on the bench in favour of some older journeymen because the coach is risk adverse and doesn't want to take a chance. You see it in MLS and USL all the time. I dont want that to be an option in the CPL. I think they'll be lots of competition for the u21 minutes beyond just 3 players on each team which will weed of complacency.

Watching teams like the Whitecaps refuse to give many Canadian kids a meaningful chance in favour of old journeymen over the years has sucked the life out me over the years (Aphonso Davies being the exception).

Unak78 and crazypete13 repped this.
  19. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Robert Borden and crazypete13 repped this.
  20. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    1089901094422175744 is not a valid tweet id

21. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tweet deleted. Sad.

22. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  23. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  24. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  25. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #2600 Robert Borden, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019

On Tuesday, Volkswagen Canada and the Canadian Premier League revealed a founding, multi-year partnership that will include national promotional and media assets in addition to an official jersey sponsorship.

“Soccer is more than just a game; it helps make up a community,” said Daniel Weissland, Volkswagen Canada’s President and CEO. “At Volkswagen, we feel this partnership is a perfect way to help connect communities throughout Canada. We could not be prouder to be a part of this exciting new league.”

The partnership was negotiated by the Canadian Soccer Business (CSB) on behalf of the league. The multi-year deal will allow Volkswagen to uniquely connect with Canada’s growing nation of soccer supporters at all levels.

This after a recent ReThink Management survey found nearly 60% of Canadian soccer fans prefer a top-tier, all-Canadian professional league to additional Major League Soccer franchises operating north of the border.

The same survey found a high level of interest in a hypothetical Canadian first division prior to the Canadian Soccer Association officially sanctioning the CPL in 2017.

Inaugural Game will be on April 27, 2019 at 1pm
    (Hamilton) Forge will face (York Region) York 9 at Tim Horton's Field in Hamilton