Canada's Quest For World Cup 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'Canada' started by EvanJ, Dec 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

The man could have multiple bets going, not just an El Salvador win.

2. legendofzola

legendofzola Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Cape Breton
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That is one pile of empty seats. Time for a miracle

3. Cirris

Cirris Member+

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Mexico is playing terrible right now.

4. whitbytfcfan

whitbytfcfan Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Such a shame seeing them play the best they ever have when it likely doesn't mean anything. The finishing is horrible though. Even the goal we did score was blatantly offside.

5. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is always good to play good soccer : )

6. whitbytfcfan

whitbytfcfan Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    On the good side, we can fire Floro now. Our chances are better in the hex under a different manager. Too bad we have to wait four years.

7. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Floro wasn't the difference between us making the Hex and missing it. I've been critical of a lot of his decisions but I think it was pretty clear that we weren't good enough this cycle.

8. whitbytfcfan

whitbytfcfan Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Perhaps - but I'm not convinced our best 11 were out on the pitch so I can't say definitively that we're not good enough when this isn't our best.

9. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Dang this quest ends with another failure... I'm not the biggest fan of Floro and I would hope he does get the boot. Overall in his tenure the team had some positive results, but were average with Floro leading this team. He did not make the best decision, but did light a slim amount of hope of seeing an improved Canadian team possibly making it all the way to WC. However I always felt something was off with this manager even when I first remembered about his hire his credentials were not that impressive. Well on to the next one hopefully CSA will take their time to find a proper manager. Dang wish Marc Dos Santos would of waited for this position we would like to see him lead this team may not be to late right?

10. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    My take on the match

11. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think Floro had the right idea in slow and steady development of a system, or for a while it was looking promising. I think though that his mistake was starting with an "all-defense" approach rather than focusing on possession and control.

12. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First, really tough to see Canada struggle again because it would be great for the US and MLS to have a credible rival to the north to push us the way we've pushed Mexico. That written, Panama and Honduras are extremely difficult teams to play, especially away, even for the US and Honduras is coming off a World Cup birth. I feel like having Mexico in the group made things better for Canada because it should cruise through that group in a fairly dominant way.

I watched just about the entire match in Honduras. Even when Canada was ahead, it didn't look like you were going to win. The GK made some ridiculous saves to keep it close but the goals looked like they would come for Honduras given the way they played and the toll the heat would eventually take. Having only watched Canada against Honduras, the cupcake friendly, a bit in the last Gold Cup, and knowing few English and MLS players, its hard for me to put Canada at the same level as Panama and Honduras right now. Mexico, USA, and Costa Rica are good distance ahead and Panama and Honduras are a bit below. Of the six in the Hex, I can only look at Canada being on par with Trinidad. Jamaica had a rough qualifying cycle but I think they are a bit better than Canada too.

I actually wasn't meaning to dump on Canada there, so please don't take it that way. I think you're getting there and I want to see you get into that group. Its just a more difficult hill to climb in this region than it's given credit. Hopefully the younger players come into their own, the CSA continues to straighten itself out, and the team starts to come together. It has to be agonizing to have to wait another four years.

slaminsams repped this.
  13. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If anything, I think you were too positive in your assessment.

Basically I see us as 8th in CONCACAF right now, behind (in no specific order): Mexico, USA, Costa Rica, Panama, Honduras, Jamaica and Trinidad. We also have El Salvador and Cuba nipping at our heels.

slaminsams and billf repped this.
  14. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    It is disappointing to have come so close to the hex and to not quite make it. (Somewhere there's a post of mine suggesting we'd rue getting the draw in El Salvador instead of the win. :( ). That said, this is about where we expected to finish in this WCQ.

The positive is that the team is still improving rapidly. I stand by my prediction that we make the 2022 World Cup.

15. legendofzola

legendofzola Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Cape Breton
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's never good if you show up and have a number of players unattached. Hoilett struggled mightily in Honduras and our reserve "big" of the bench was Haber and he could not stay with Crewe. Jackson has slid down to League 1 Walsall.

Borjan was very good considering he's not Ludogorets top man. There's good young talent in Henry and James, it's just a matter of them developing. I would prefer to see Henry inside and us develop a right back.

16. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    I don't think we should get rid of Floro. Who in their right mind would want to take on the job of CMNT head coach right now? I don't want the team to wander the wilderness for 18 months while the CSA tries to find a replacement. What respectable international coach would want to taint their resume with losses against nations like Guadeloupe? That said, after the previous domestic managerial hiring debacles, the only Canadian I would want to see run the program would be Marc dos Santos. I'd extend Floro's contract until the end of the next Gold Cup. Hopefully we will get a decent spate of results in that time and attract the interest of decent managers intrigued by our potential.

18. legendofzola

legendofzola Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Cape Breton
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I agree - who will we find that is better? If we find that someone then go ahead but otherwise give Floro another crack.

19. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I often wonder what Holger Osiek would have been able to accomplish with today's talent pool.

legendofzola repped this.
  20. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    We had unattached players, guys who have rarely played for their clubs teams in a year or two etc etc playing in these matches.

How do you increase the talent pool without a pro league?

21. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    One might suggest have more teams playing in existing leagues (since MLS seems to be "closed" to more Canadian teams that would mean more NASL or USL teams) and/or find more ways to get our developing players onto existing teams in North America and beyond.

I will say, however, that the quality of "unattached" players has to be considered......in the past (and we old folks will remember) we used to have unattached players who most of us had never heard of and you really wondered how good they were.......this year it was guys like Jr. H.....a guy that not long ago was playing in the EPL and we should understand that him being unattached at the minute is probably just him trying to find the right club at the right price....he may not be the best player in the world....but he is a guy that will find a club.

22. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We have three markets that have strong potential for NASL: Hamilton, Calgary and Winnipeg. If our attempt at a domestic pro league failed, we could still find ourselves with 8 pro (MLS/NASL) clubs.

23. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    It is also very important to keep in mind the quality of play that a domestic league would operate at.

Right now, we have three MLS teams, two NASL teams, and three USL teams without having a domestic league. The MLS and USL teams aren't involved in the CPL plan so they aren't going anywhere. That's good because they are currently our most productive player development pathway.

What it does mean, however, is that the CPL needs to match or exceed the output of the NASL teams. This means we need the CPL to operate at something like the NASL level. A bunch of "pro" teams operating at the level of the most recent incarnation of the CSL isn't going to help anything.

So a pro Canadian league doesn't automatically solve the problems of low playing time or Unattached FC issues for the guys we want to be seeing on the NT roster.

24. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    People keep forgetting that the problem with the American Leagues is that the USSF states they must have at least 75% american clubs. NASL will not grow to more than 20 teams. One of the teams is Puerto Rico so that leaves space for 4 Canadian clubs max. But this looks like a non-starter as neither Ottawa or Edmonton can afford it. The USL is currently at 24 teams, 3 of them being Canadian. For 8 additional CPL teams to join the USL, there would have to be at least 33 American teams. There is only room in the USL for 4 Canadian clubs right now. I guess Hamilton-Ottawa, and Calgary-Edmonton would make the most sense in that case.

25. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    I keep hearing that Ottawa is dropping out of the NASL next year because of annual losses of 2 million dollars.

Considering those economics, and the fact that FC Edmonton cant seem to average 3,000 fans a game (I was a season ticket holder when I lived there for 2 years) I'm not hopeful of anything NASL related.