Canada WNT 2012

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by bythesea, Jan 2, 2012.

1. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
  2. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    The team beat LA Vikings again 3-0. This is pretty impressive given that the Vikings have had more time together now and the Canadians have not completely tapered from their training. There doesn't seem to be a game report but the Vikings seem to have fielded Christen Press, Ali Riley, Bev Goebel, Jenny Jeffers, Christina DiMartino, Gemma Davison, and Bianca D'Agostino.

Unfortunately, the games between the Vikings and the Mexican NT were cancelled. This might have provided a measuring stick to see how the Mexicans are progressing.

From photos it looks as if Diana Matheson is still not fit to play. Mottershead is in L.A. Maybe they will have to change the roster.

3. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    There's a good brief review of the Canada - Haiti game which began the Olympic Qualifying tournament http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/01/20/molinaro_blog/ by John Molinaro.

Herdman said that they played a 4-4-2 with a diamond midfield and Sinclair as attacking mid. This seemed to work well against Haiti at least. The finishing by players not named Sinclair needs to improve. I still don't think Julien's touch is good enough at this level. Buckland keeps blazing shots just wide.

I thought Scott and Parker were effective distributing the ball. Both of them have always been comfortable on the ball but it's not something we've seen much of from Canadian teams in the past. Stewart had a good game replacing Sesselmann in the 2nd half. Kyle, I thought, was too conservative and kept playing the ball back to defenders when she had options ahead of her.

Herdman said that the team would throw a wide range of attacking tactics at an opponent. They showed a willingness to mix up crosses with ground balls. (It was an odd thing about Morace's tactics that the team would consistently take corner kicks short and on the ground despite having so many tall players available.)

4. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    I think the OQ tournament could be a landmark for Canadian women's soccer. For one thing, the likely financial success of the tournament will encourage the CSA to bid for more such tournaments in the future and more friendlies at home (and also men's tournaments). In contrast to the often cited 2002 U-19 final in Edmonton there wasn't a large number of heavily discounted or free tickets.

Second, there was a major organizational effort on the part of men's supporters groups to make their presence felt at a women's event. Hopefully, this will not be a one time thing but will set a standard.

The audience was widely varied. There was support from the Whitecaps and the event seemed to tap into the MLS audience. This is promising going forward with MLS teams in three major cities.

If the CSA is on top of their marketing they can carry the momentum of this event forward to men's WCQ. The success of all the Canadian teams can be mutually reinforcing. (It's sometimes the fans that compartmentalize the teams and think in terms of fighting for their share of the resources. The CSA needs to overcome this attitude.)

5. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That works against lower level teams but I think Canada's chances suffer when Sinc isn't one of the strikers against top 5 teams. The USA backline would have been even more nervy/tested if Sinc had been the one getting in behind.

6. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    On one of Julien's breakaways Christine was just to her right. A little more awareness by her could easily have resulted in a goal instead of a stuff by Hope.

On that note, a large part of the shutout was Hope and an uncooperative post, so the spread isn't quite what it seems at first look.

And whatever happens in the Olympics, Canada's goal should be to fill the gap before they host the next Cup, and that isn't impossible.

7. Mister Crossbar

Mister Crossbar New Member

Aug 21, 2011
    USA
    Canadian women's soccer coach Herdman thrown curveball with WPS news:

8. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    The U-17s just finished a camp in which they tied Germany 0-0 and beast Florida International 1-0. The lack of scoring could be a concern.

Meanwhile Tiffany Cameron of Ohio St. just tweeted that she's joining the Olympic team in Cyprus. Herdman finally gets a chance to look at some new players.

No news that I've seen on where most of the Olympic players will go in the next few months except that Julien is going to Sweden and Matheson and Wilkinson are both looking for a Swedish team as well.

9. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
  10. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    There's a report http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012...dn. women to face Brazil in pre-Olympic match that Canada will play Brazil in a friendly Mar. 24. womenssoccerunited.com is saying that the site will be Gillette Stadium in Boston.

Meanwhile the players are travelling to Cyprus. Herdman can bring back the OQ roster and look at other players before he has to cut down to the Cyprus Cup tournament roster.

Bry McCarthy of West Viriginia is also joining the team. Unfortunately for her the left back position seems solidly occupied by Sesselman. Maybe she can play left midfield.

11. GambitSWE

GambitSWE Member

Nov 19, 2011
    Landvetter
    Club:
    Göteborg FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Was revealed a week ago by swedish soccer fed. that the canadian team will play against Sweden, on march 31, 14:00 local time (GMT +1) at Malmö Stadion, Sweden.

12. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some thoughts on Canada's Olympic qualifying campaign.

The best change initiated by John Herdman has been giving a bigger role to Desiree Scott. She's the best next to Sinclair at possessing the ball; she really has a sense of when and how to take a little touch to unbalance a defender. Defensively she covers a lot of ground and she's a fine ball-winner, too.

The midfield diamond is very narrow, which requires the the fullbacks to get well forward in order to give the team any width in attack. That demands a prodigious amount of running from the fullbacks, which seemed to have taken a toll on Sesselmann and Gayle by the time Canada reached the final. Since they are playing with a lone defensive midfielder, it also tends to leave the team really unbalanced and exposed to quick counterattacks. If they are going to push both fullbacks up so much, I really think they need a second defensive midfielder. If they don't change the formation, then at the very least they will have to be more conservative with their passes in the attacking third. They especially can't play long, searching crossfield passes in front of the opponent's back line like the one that led to the first goal for the United States.

I don't think Canada can make it to the knock-out rounds with Julien as a first-choice striker. She lacks both the speed and the skill to really threaten the better international defenses. I really like Sinclair in the attacking midfield role, but she needs a more dangerous forward in front of her to make it work. I liked what I saw of Diamond Simpson in the Pan-Am games, and I think she has to get a shot.

13. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
  14. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Canadian WNT well versed in modern technology, according to my sources they used pro-zone and GPS data trackers during games :eek:.

15. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
  16. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
  17. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    Sophie Schmidt has signed with Swedish club Kristianstads DFF.

18. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    I'm impressed with the accommodations the CSA managed to find for the ladies in Vancouver. http://instagr.am/p/JdP3CaDFCz/

With players on club sides in Europe there are open slots for some collegians to join the residency group, including Lexi Marton, Amy Pietrangelo and Bry McCarthy. It's good to finally see Jonelle Filigno and Diana Matheson back.

19. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    A couple of EA Sports intros to Cdn. U-17 players.

20. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
  21. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
  22. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
  23. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
  24. iChristoph

iChristoph New Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I prefer Timko over Julien in probably any position, she covers way more field, and passes better, more mature... etc.. and she cann score.