Canada v Costa Rica (r) pre & post Game comments

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by Jay510, Jul 7, 2005.

1. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Re: Canada v Costa Rica game thread [R]

McKenna given his second yellow so he's gone. Canada is working their asses off but so is Costa Rica. 1-0 Costa Rica todavia.

2. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Pendergast is the ref....no wonder so many cards....that man couldnt control a Koala

3. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001

Amazing chance for Canada, should've tied it there.

95th minute, one last dangerous free kick right outside the box. Off the wall, corner. Cleared, full time.

1-0

4. fcdallas1

fcdallas1 New Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Dallas

Why didn't that score count. He wasn't off sides?

5. pylon

pylon New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Chi-Det corridor

I think it ratteled around the side of the net. It looked in at first (I was yelling)...but it wasn't.

6. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway

Poor Canada. They so deserved a tie, as C.R. did nothing except defend in the second half, but stupid fouls, badly taken corners and badly taken shots seemed to do Canada in. All in all, a fun game to watch for a tournament that most people don't seem to take seriously.

7. Breakwood

Breakwood Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Toronto, Canada

The ball bounced around the 6 yard box, Brennen shot it on net 2 inces wide. Looking at the replay it looke like Braz was taken down in the area, but what can we do this is Concacaf officiated after all.

8. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway

oh god, im pissed. Univision just **********ing spoiled the result for the USA vs. Cuba game. A$$holes.

9. pylon

pylon New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Chi-Det corridor

Canucks had every chance to equalise at the end, they just couldn't put it in the net. They worked hard tonight, but their crossing was useless. The best 'cross' of the night was that throw at the end. Ugh...loosing on a first half pen, captain sent off...another Canada campaign comes off the rails right from the start. :(

10. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA

How did they do that? The game is on live tonight, isn't it? It's just starting now...

11. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway

oh crap, by bad!! It must have been highlights from a previous game they were showing...I thought it was live too.

12. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA

I was going to ask for the result so I could bet some money somewhere :D

13. RedandWhite

RedandWhite Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Canada

I hate when games are won from penalty shots.

Good effort Canada but it was just not enough.

14. stats

stats New Member

Apr 11, 2005

whats the final score? damn that beyonce ad up top is hot.

15. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

congrats Ticos...:)

16. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA

Costa Rica had the game under control until the insertion of Geiner Segura at right back--that guy almost single-handedly blew the game for the Ticos. He belongs in a rec league somewhere, not anywhere near the national team.

17. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck New Member

May 13, 2002

A real shame of a game. Canada essentially took the game over after Pendergrast gifted Costa Rica with a goal but we didn't create enough solid chances for my liking and could have done a bit better with those we did create. We deserved at least a draw though. And no McKenna for the US game again thanks to Pendergrast, making our back-line even more depleted than it needs to be for US purposes.

18. Le Zebre

Le Zebre Member

May 10, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

What game were you watching? Canada not only had most of the possession in that game but were constantly taking the game to the Ticos. If the Canadians actually knew how to properly cross the ball into the box the score would have been much different. They wasted SO many opportunities it's not even funny yet IMO the Ticos had one good chance to score and they hit the cross bar.

What's funny is that i thought Canada played one of their better games in the last couple of years. I actually thought they had some nice through balls, nice give and go's, one touch passes and played well by keeping the ball along the wings but what hurt them was their inability to finish and to PROPERLY GET A CROSS INTO THE BOX. Every cross easily found a Costa Rican player. I actually found they played with quality compared to teams in the past who would resort to sitting back and playing D and then trying to counter attack when the chance would arise. I was pleasantly surprised with the game and with the Impact players who showed some quality even though most of you think the USL is a 2nd rate league.

19. Reycd

Reycd Member

May 6, 2003
    HONK!! HONK!!
    Club:
    Real Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    Tahiti

I missed the game so was not able to watch it, but congratulations to Costa Rica for the win

20. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA

Wrong. Just flat wrong. I posted the following at halftime in this thread and I stand by the post:

"DeRosario, while not listed as a forward, is the only one in the "attack" for Canada, if it can be called that. He's just picking up the ball and running at guys. Gerba is doing little and Simpson--is he even out there? Did he touch a single ball?

Canada used to be a bunch of "hustle" guys who were all on the same page, and therefore tough to break down.

This Canada has some skill players, but nobody is on the same page. They look awful defensively, too, which used to be a hallmark strength."

Canada, with the exception of DeRosario, looked dreadful in the attack in the first half. There is no other interpretation possible unless you want to compare them to St. Vincent's or something.

In the early second half, Canada improved marginally, then in the 56th minute, Costa Rica brought in Geiner Segura, who got a yellow card within a few minutes, should've gotten a second, and nearly succeeded in gifting Canada an own goal on Hume's cross. From then on, Canada looked superior, with waves of attack coming down the near touchline where Segura was.

And for the last 5 minutes, with 10 men, Canada was unfortunate not to equalize, putting a tremendous amount of pressure on Porras' goal.

At most, Canada looked effective for 1/3 of the game. That can hardly be called "taking the game to the Ticos."

21. Le Zebre

Le Zebre Member

May 10, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

De Rosario cut into the box maybe once in that 1st half. Besides that, he kept making runs down the wing trying to cross the ball without success. Gerba did nothing at all, that i agree with but Simpson had some tremendous runs down the flanks as well and Grande has to be more accurate with his set pieces because his corners were god awful. Costa Rica was dominated for most for the match besides maybe the opening minutes of the 1st and 2nd half. Listen, i'm not bias in any way and i'm the one usually shitting on Canada but this time around they did not deserve to lose and i actually thought they played a quality game.

22. narduch

narduch New Member

Apr 14, 2005
    A tie would have been a fair result. But, with CONCACAF reffing, the deserved result doesn't always occur.

Also, I can't wait till FIFA takes a harder stance against diving and time waisting. This will really hurt the latin-american game in CONCACAF and level the playing field. But I guess I'll have to wait a long time for this to happen.

23. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I think Canadians need to set a ground rule. Unless you score, you don't get to complain about bad calls against you. Granted that there seems to be a number of appparently bad calls not going your way. The best way to handle it -- get up and put the ball in the net. That's what the Americans and Mexicans do. Until yoiu start scoring, the officiating's irrelevant.

24. hobbes

hobbes Member

Jul 26, 1999
    regina, saskatchewan
    When we score it doesn't count.

See Oct 9/04 in San Pedro Sula and Sept 4/04 in Edmonton.

They let us have one in each game, but that's as far as it went. ;)

cheers,
    hobbes

25. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    I really think that both teams played horrible....but we won, so i can not complain