"Canada, Mexico and USA selected as hosts of the 2026 FIFA World Cup™"

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jun 13, 2018.

1. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA
    No one has mentioned, other than Brazil and Romania at Buck Shaw Stadium, anything about training facilities. With all of the new soccer specific stadiums around the US, people in cities where WC games are not being played are likely going to have the chance to see some of the world's best teams because those teams will be using the local MLS stadium for training. That is another huge piece of infrastructure that was not even a gleam in someone's eye in 1994.

Personally, my opinion is, if managed correctly, this could be a sporting event unparalleled in history...bigger than any other produced here or elsewhere. The biggest problem in this country is geographic size and moving people around efficiently. Yes, we have airports and highways, but both are becoming increasingly less adequate, so who knows what will happen over the next 8 years with that public infrastructure? That said, could it be possible that an event of this magnitude and stature be a catalyst to generate the kind of support to fix some of those issues? Even the most cynical probably do not want the US to look inadequate on such a grand stage.....then, there is the team itself.

markmcf8 repped this.
  2. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mentioned in one of the threads that the bid documents identify Avaya, Stanford, and SJSU as the local training sites in the event Levi's Stadium is selected as a venue. SJSU is noted as being able to host two teams at the same time. Additionally it listed San Francisco State, the Morgan Hill sports complex, and CSU Monterey Bay as potential base camps.

The base camps would be where teams set up for an extended stay even if they have to travel somewhere else for a game, while training sites would be for the teams that arrive from elsewhere before a game. For example, the US team in 2014 had its base camp in Sao Paolo, even though it had no games in Sao Paolo and had to travel a substantial distance to games in Manaus and Natal.

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #28 falvo, Jun 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    Brazil stayed at Villa Filice above Vasona Park. Sadly, they’ve since closed down but I’m sure other hotels will emerge. If Lew Wolff is still alive, he may house the WC based team at the Fairmont. US women’s national team player (I forgot her name) said on a WC show the other night that she was turned onto soccer by the 1994 World Cup and going to LG every day singing , dancing and playing pick up ball with Brazilian fans. They really showed everyone how to have fun. There was a month long party that was unforgettable.

4. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah, there's also recommended hotel info:

VIP Hotel: Four Seasons San Francisco
    Venue Hotel: Fairmont San Jose

I think "venue hotel" serves as an operational HQ.

A hotel associated with each training site:
    Avaya: Valencia Santana Row
    Stanford: Westin Palo Alto
    SJSU: San Jose Marriott and Hotel de Anza

And the base camps:
    SFSU: Holiday Inn Civic Center
    Monterey: Monterey Plaza Hotel and Spa
    Morgan Hill: Courtyard by Marriott San Jose South/Morgan Hill

A couple of these puzzle me. With all of the hotels in San Francisco, they're picking a Holiday Inn in a not particularly attractive section of town? And I've stayed in plenty of Courtyard locations, and they're perfectly nice for a business or leisure traveler seeking mid-tier accommodations, but they seem not fancy enough for a World Cup team. But maybe some qualified teams will be from poorer countries that won't have the money to spend on something more posh. And how many hotels are there in Morgan Hill?

I'd guess these aren't etched in stone, and that representatives of the qualified countries will make advance trips to scout out the right places for their desires.

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    With the internet boom and all the money coming in from all the tech companies, I’m surprised there aren’t more in Stanford. The opposing teams stayed at Stanford: Westin in Palo Alto during the 1994 tournament. I remember on July 4th , of that year before the USMNT was to play Brazil. I remember wathicng the morning game Netherlands 2–0 Republic of Ireland on TV with defender Cle Kooiman and Bora's brother Milos Milutinovic. Dom Kinnear was there the week before but he refused to watch the US team because Bora had cut him.

Milos was talking to me about all the old time Yugoslavian Quakes. Supposedly , he was an exceptional player but because of the restraints and Iron Curtain, he couldn't play abroad.​

6. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So with the joint bid winning which of the 3 hosts are considered the "hosting" country for automatic entry to the tournament?

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    There will be 48 teams and I believe all three nations will get an automatic birth. At least I think that is how it will be...

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Just heard Rob stone talking about how they will reconstruct the Central Stadium in Yekaterinburg after the 2018 World Cup.

This could happen top some of our ML:S (SSS) or even NFL stadiums. Either expand or downsize temporarily.....

upload_2018-6-24_8-1-13.png