Can we please enter the Copa America....please?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by CbR, Jun 13, 2006.

1. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    We have enough Euro players to do it, at the very lest it allows us to look at guys like Demerit, Casey, Simek, etc and see if they'd be worth consideration when qualifying comes up. I'm sure they wouldn't mind if it meant it gave them a chance to break into the NAT team.

2. PhilipReed

PhilipReed New Member

Jul 12, 1999
    WMass
    See my post about MLS' versus the MNT's best interest - I think it's clear they're not always totally congruent.

That said, I don't think we need to throw the baby out with the bathwater and go to one extreme or the other, either. Perhaps some people are advocating an August-to-May schedule so we can pretend we live in England, but if so such people are shortsighted. Where there's a will there's a way, and there's no reason why MLS can't:

- Move a couple more fixtures into midweek. Savings: 2 weeks
    - Start the season a week before when the suits (or the weather forecasters!) say the optimal time is. Savings: 1 week
    - Overlap the CA semifinals and final. This means that IF, and ONLY IF, the US makes the semifinals then MLS will play one week of games without the NT players. Savings: 1 week

Total savings: 4 weeks, the duration of the Copa America.

Hell, they could even cut two games off the schedule -- which I realize throws MLS economics in disarray, but it's a defensible loss leader. Playing in CA has value as better CA and WC performances make both the USNT and the players' MLS clubs more marketable. In for a penny, in for a pound, and the investors have already sunk so much into soccer, it's hard to believe that two games of revenue is more important than developing a viable USNT.

With creativity it could be done. But simply declaring that the best interests of MLS are paramount -- except of course for that magical time every quadrennium when the world goes crazy for soccer and it becomes acceptable to have weakened MLS sides -- isn't going to get it done. It's a question of how bad the USSF wants to make this happen, and plainly they don't.

3. Riotom9

Riotom9 Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Texas
    We've had plenty of 'MLS based sides'. Can we not send a European based side to the Copa America with 1 or 2 select from MLS?

Seems like a simple solution (which is why USSF will poo-poo it)

4. Boricua

Boricua New Member

Jul 5, 2001
    Reseda, CA
    I heard on the spanish radio that the president of Peru called President Bush himself inviting the US team to play in Copa America 2004. USSF said they will look into it and after a couple of weeks the USSF said "NO". The reason was because security for the US team was not guarantied and what was offered was not strong enough.

5. Samshipn

Samshipn New Member

May 24, 2005
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

6. Samshipn

Samshipn New Member

May 24, 2005
    Good to see people posting in support of the COPA AMERICA. We need to make it happen. For any that think it would not be a big deal: If we won it – it would be the greatest feat in US soccer history. It’s big.. we need to play, IT WILL MAKE US BETTER. Send players, play to win. If it took a blowout game to get people to start realizing that we need to do more then it is worth it. If we are going to be a powerhouse team – we need to go down there and play.
    And it’s not only this – we’re not knocking the Gold Cup, we need to play that too. We need to play much more. Euro games too. Much more. Take on a club team whatever.. just keep playing.. we’ll start winning and looking/being stronger than ever. No excuses. The MLS needs to take a back seat to what is good for the National Team. If the MLS would be holding us back then we need to re-think what it is we’re trying to do with this. If we want to WIN a World Cup u need to sign on to playing more competitive games. Screw the rankings.. it got us no ware. In about a year we need to (somehow?) start pushing for this.
    The way we are headed, is that they may decide to stop inviting us anymore, and what a shame that would be.

Great posts by all that support

If the stars/big dogs can't make it send others.. in due time there will be a changing of the gaurd

7. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    Exactly. The ones who think BA is too good of a coach to EVER be quesitoned are slightly puzzled this week.

Our preparation since January has been absurd.

8. Neville2

Neville2 Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Brasilia, DF Brazil
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't know what some of you expect. When you are preparing a team for the highest competition in the world, The World Cup, it is important to play teams that rarely qualify for the above said competition. What ever you do make sure not to challenge yourself. I shudder to think what would have happened on Monday if we did not get such ideal preparation. As was said by someone in another thread, "Is it too late to go to some secluded chateau."

As for Copa America I am with everyone else in saying absolutely yes. Obviously, it will be important to work around the MLS schedule and not take too many players from one team or another. But I agree with what others have mentioned in that U.S. soccer will be judged not by the MLS, but by the USMNT. In my opinion it will never gain a legitimate foothold in the mainstream until consistent breakthrough at the interanational level.

As for the European base Players involvement and some not wanting to give up there vacation time, I have a simple solution. If you don't want to play for the U.S team when it calls, then consider yourself retired from international soccer. Nobody on this team is good enough to dictate the terms of their involvement.

9. The Wanderer2

The Wanderer2 New Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Start rattling off emails to the Feds. WE MUST START PLAYING IN THIS TOURNEY AGAIN! Send the goddamned U23 team if we have to!

10. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the MLS, but I also agree. We need the copa. Wow we had a good one in 1995, lets continue where we left off. GO USA!

11. PhilipReed

PhilipReed New Member

Jul 12, 1999
    WMass
    In fairness, even playing "name" opponents between the draw and the WCF isn't going to challenge a team too much, given that friendlies are still friendlies. I also grant that Copa America doesn't have the intensity of a WCF, WCQ, or even Euro championship. But it does have more intensity than a WC-year friendly, which is why it's so important.

12. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Several posts on here have blamed MLS for not playing in the CA. The reluctance of Euro-based players to play in it is as or more important. Playing conditions (distinct from quality of play) are far worse than Euro 2008 qualifying and injury potential is higher. Travel is long and tiring.

Besides, the lack of mental toughness shown on Monday was the worst problem with our game. And since it was a mainly Euro-based squad, used to playing in Champion's League qualifiers, promotion-critical games, and the like, it's is unclear that playing in another compeition would help that problem.

13. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I've been against it in the past. That said, I've come to the conclusion that our players will be better off on the wrong end of 5-1 drubbings against Brazil and Argentina in matches that matter than on the right end of a 5-1 drubbing of Martininque.

As a matter of fact, the US should leave CONCACAF and move to CONEMBOL to get more competition than Mexico, Costa Rica and an occasional Caribbean side.

Sachin

14. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    I agree with playing quality sides to prepare for the WC. Most of the players on the field on Monday had never seen a national side which was that good. We did not play a team in 02 which was near that level.

I don't think we should switch to CONEMBOL. I don't think we would qualify out of South America.

We need to stay in CONCACAF so we can consistently make it to the WC. We just need to prepare against the best teams we can. We don't need to play SHITE teams in the last 6 months before the Cup.

Also, developing better players would also be a bonus.

15. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Even better... when we do qualify, we'll know our team is battle tested.

Sachin

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The same that we have to play for if we win the World Cup.

Whom do we send? Do you think guys like Cherundolo and Gooch and Beasley, and even Howard, are going to give up their summers? No. Then what's the point of sending an all-MLS Yanks there to get thrashed?

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, we beat Mexico when it counted in 2002. And in qualifying both in 2001 and 2005. And what did the games against Portugal, SoKo, Mexico, and Germany, in 2002 prove about the importance of Copa America?

Jesus, I can't wait till Saturday. The horrible match Monday is giving everyone ammunition for whatever half-baked pet cause they love to flog.

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was the biggest problem in 2002?

This is gonna be fun.

19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And throw away any chance of being in the 2009 Confederations Cup.

Good thinking there, ace.

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simple, yet dumb.

If countries ACTUALLY IN SOUTH AMERICA have a hard time getting their top players there, how the f*** are we going to?

Let's take a trip down memory lane. Early July, 2001. Almost all of our top attacking players are injured. We have a match scheduled in Azteca, and Ajax is scheduled to have their first day--FIRST DAY!!!!--of practice the next day. JOB is threatened with the loss of his starting role at Ajax if he plays against Mexico. Since we had 13 points out of 5 matches at the time, Bruce let JOB go.

Now, if JOB couldn't play in a GD qualifier, how well do you think we'll fare playing as an invitee?

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How has it differed from our preparation 4 years ago?

22. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. Don't want to ruin the middle of the MLS season. The Rapids vs. Red Bulls game must go on, whether it's the World Cup or the Copa America.

23. jrod69

jrod69 Member

Feb 19, 2005
    NYC
    then we shouldnt play in the gold cup or send a c team to play it who really gives a fuk about the gold cup

24. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Top three from the Gold Cup get bids to Copa America? That would add something to the third-place game.

25. jrod69

jrod69 Member

Feb 19, 2005
    NYC
    ur comparing the mls to copa america??? if the US wants to improve it has to play in Copa America