Can we get positive?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by anotherfan, Jan 9, 2020.

1. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Regarding Loudoun, is there a way to get reasonably priced tickets? I went once and paid way over $20.

2. bigdavestud

bigdavestud Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Ashburn, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I went to three games last season and bought tickets at the walk up box office (it's in a shipping container, which I actually find charming) for $18 each, no service fee. I believe the tickets contained a service fee when I looked to buy them ahead of time. These were for sections 101 and 114, which are in the corners.

Winoman repped this.
  3. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    When there’s a mod who has to shit post every thread, every day about DC United, this forum has no hope.

Thx,

Jay!

John L repped this.
  4. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Thanks. I can live with that price. I had dropped my wife off to buy tickets while I parked the car and she may not have noticed the cheaper seats. I want to say we paid something like $28 for seats around the top of the penalty area.

5. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Curious. Who was the last player who wasn't in the starting 18 at the beginning of United's season, who developed and eventually found consistent playing time? Of our many problems, this is one of the biggest. If I were the owner, I'd be pissed because of our inability to find cheap talent, develop them, and sell high.

6. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Oops. There I go, going low when another was going high.

7. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    -I'm excited to see someone other than Acosta in the midfield.
    -I'm excited to have players that are focused on being here rather than in France or England.
    -I'm excited that the owners are looking to spend money to improve the team and invest in more than just a name player.
    -I'm excited at some of the names being attached to the team, especially the focus on attacking depth and starters.
    -I'm excited to see what some of the younger players do with both DC and Loudoun, especially now that they're signed and not jumping ship to Europe.

dadman, ImNumberTen and John L repped this.
  8. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Is it fair to say they are happy to be here, or focused on being here instead of going to France and England when they, you know, could never play there?

9. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure we'll end the season with more points, but based on our targets and acquisitions, there's a good chance we'll be more consistent.

We dumped fewer players this off-season.

I'm encouraged we're spending something, despite the fact that the finishing touches are still being put on Loudoun, the training center and Audi. One of my big complaints has been not only that there seems to be an inability to walk and chew gum at the same time, but the apparent lack of recognition that there's a need to do so.

I like that we're targeting foreign players that have a large local expat community.

I like the way we're using Loudoun United.

I like that we've signed a few teenagers.

I like that we didn't try to drag on with Flo like a raisin in the sun.

I like that the Ladies are likely to end up playing at Loudoun and Audi. It's a shame for MoCo fans, but the synergy can only help both parties.

I'm glad Ben's apparently been on the hot seat. Pablo reported in the Athletic that he thought this was the first off-season they considered letting him go. That's the kind of thing serious organizations should do.

There are caveats to pretty much all of these, but there are some positives!

dadman, sitruc, ElApacheTevez and 6 others repped this.
  10. The Artist

The Artist Member+

Mar 22, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I enjoyed Acosta but Flores is an upgrade.
    I enjoyed Rooney's moments of brilliance, but I'm tired of seeing United play slow. Whomever we sign to replace him will likely not be as skilled as Rooney, but we'll hopefully look like a modern football team.
    We have an actual striker on the team. Someone will be in the box trying to score goals instead of the entire team drifting outside the 18 on offense or sending crosses to no one.
    Disappointed that Durkin never got much opportunity (thought he was good enough in his few chances) but the academy, by random luck, is spitting out some interesting players.
    Pines could be the real deal. Or he could be another impressive athlete who never takes the final step.
    Olsen might be held accountable for whatever happens this year.
    Bill Hamid is back.
    Arriola is fun.

We have a real stadium that will hopefully look great with a standing section. We have a minor league team. We have young players fighting for spots even if our academy "system" is primitive. We just paid a big transfer fee to acquire a player in his prime from a decent Mexican team. No reason at this point to think we are anything but midtable hopefuls, but we are looking like a real football club now and not just an equity investment. I'm embarrassed by the style of play Ben foists upon us, but in terms of facilities now I'm not shocked when stylish South American players or even pedigreed Europeans are rumored to come here. Watching Marco, Jamie, and Eddie lift trophies was great but it all seemed insulated from the rest of the soccer world. Whatever we are now, at least it is starting to seem like part of the soccer world, which at least gives me hope that with some lucky breaks and some changes in leadership we could get back to the trophies someday.

dadman, anotherfan, GumbyG and 9 others repped this.
  11. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    - we keep bringing in the same South/Central Americans and get very little out of them. They show flashes of brilliance and then go off and pout in the corner

- we ignore Europe for the most part (except Rooney) and once every five years or so sign a big brute of a eastern European to be the Marty McSorley of this team

- we are sold that we have a bright shiny new stadium. Well it is new I will give them that. But it is one of the biggest pains to get to. The food options, if this is even possible, are worse that at RFK. The sight lines that I have seen are not better than RFK. I understand that some people's sight lines have improved but mine have been no better with any ticket I have had at the new stadium.

- the front office continues to chase this younger and hipper crowd. However with no foresight in knowing that they are not loyal and will abandon them the minute a newer shiny toy shows up. With that chase of a younger crowd they continue to alienate their 20+ year loyal fan base and drive them out.

So no I cannot be positive.

Signed Shammy's new Cousin Shawn12011

MattR and GumbyG repped this.
  12. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Audi vs RFK

1) Still no smell of Smoke, Spilt Beer and Urine - but hey, its brand new, give it some time

2) Admittedly, RFK's dishwater hotdogs are the standard, but District Dogs are doing their best

3) The walk from the outer ring in Lot 8 to RFK matches Metro to Audi. And its easier to find Uber outside of Audi than that outer ring.

4) Range of beer selection is about the same. But Audi has roving dispensers of vodka, gin or whisky.

5) Only really good lines of sight at RFK were the Supporter Sections. All others sucked. All lines of sight at Audi are GREAT.

13. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    6) At RFK, I was many years younger. At Audi, I'm many years older.

autogolazzo, dadman, sitruc and 12 others repped this.
  14. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2) Admittedly, RFK's dishwater hotdogs are the standard, but District Dogs are doing their best At RFK I could get a sausage with peppers and onions. I have yet to find that option at Audi. It may be there but I don't know where.

3) The walk from the outer ring in Lot 8 to RFK matches Metro to Audi. And its easier to find Uber outside of Audi than that outer ring. I drive myself or take the train, Uber is for young people who don't own a car, I do

5) Only really good lines of sight at RFK were the Supporter Sections. All others sucked. All lines of sight at Audi are GREAT. I said other might have a better sightline. I sit at field level. My sight line in no better. I like my sight line at RFK and it is the same at Audi.

15. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Watching DC United makes your hair turn grey.

dadman, sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  16. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Certainly has had that effect on Olsen.:)

TowsonDad and Winoman repped this.
  17. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our line of sight at RFK was excellent in the Mezzanine, and was protected from the elements. We also had food/drink delivery.

My seat at Audi has a good view, but it is out in the elements, hardly any vendors come by, and the aisles are way too narrow for competing up/down traffic.

18. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    RFK no longer had Italian Sausage with green peppers and onions the last few years. And when RFK did have it, there was no marinara sauce. RFK did have, however, Jerked Chicken & Ribs with Plaintains.

Need to tell Chef Andre to bring back some classics.

Winoman repped this.
  19. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Yep, the Mezz was nice and the in-stadium delivery was very nice as well. However, I think my seats at AF are better for sightlines because I'm near midfield (and just under the roofline), while at RFK I was up high behind the North goal.

Winoman repped this.
  20. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    There used to be an empenada window when you came in from lot 4 that was excellent.

Winoman repped this.
  21. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My seats halfway up the west side of Audi (just barely under the roof line) have sightlines similar to the mezzanine level at RFK except that they are much closer to the pitch.

ElApacheTevez repped this.
  22. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They sound good, but when we were offered 4-game plans, none of those seats were available.

23. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I got Italian Sausage with green peppers and onions right up until the end at RFK. Mezzanine above the supporters section.

Winoman repped this.
  24. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    You're right, it was part of some Heineken "lounge" at some point. It wasn't in the Mezz, it was on the top ramp around the lower bowl, I used to stop there and grab a sausage and pepper sandwich on the way to the Mezz.

shawn12011 and Winoman repped this.
  25. Alejandro 10

Alejandro 10 Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    We have positively outdone Philly on who can bringing more keepers for once.

Winoman and fatbastard repped this.