Can Brazil leave some points behind ?

Discussion in 'Group A: Brazil, Croatia, Mexico, Cameroon' started by PanchoM, Dec 9, 2013.

1. PanchoM

PanchoM Member

Nov 3, 2001
    PalmsPlace
    There isn't much doubt that Brazil will top the group, but can they stumble and let Croatia/Mexico draw a game ?

I guess the best chance is against Croatia with the nerves of the first game in their World cup and the pressure from all the expectations of the people . It has to be nerve-wrecking no matter how professional these guys are.

2. lucasc

lucasc Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Brazil
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    We haven't been playing well against Mexico this last few years.
    They, however, are at their lowest right now.

3. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #3 Rickdog, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
    I believe that under Menezes (not a bad coach, but maybe not for Brazil at NT level), Brazil fell into an abism not playing well against no one, that was questionable if Brazil was going to come out of it, in time for the WC.

Fortunately Scolari took over at the right time (maybe it would've been better a little bit earlier), and it seems that somehow, he is recovering the Brazil we all know (to our misfortune, :unsure:), and you guys are back in business again.

In any case, to the point of the issue :
    Yes, Brazil can lose points along the way (at group phase against their opponents), although as it is played at their home, with the pressure of their fans where-ever they play in this WC, It`s very hard to imagine them getting satisfied achieving a draw against anyone in this WC, even if they already have achieved their qualification for the next phase.
    I believe that for Brazil in this WC (played at home), they are going to go for the win, from the begining to the end, no matter whom they got in front (to me the question is, how many goals scored will be enough to get them satisfied, at each game they play).

In regards to their opponents at group phase, although they may appear weak on the papers in regards to Brazil, all of them have proved in the past being formidable opponents. Any one of them can get points from Brazil, but with no doubt, it will not be easy.;)

4. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    As the teams currently stand, I'd say no. I think had Croatia been at full strength for the opening match, it wouldnt shock me if the game was a tie, despite it being the opener. Their physical style still will cause us plenty of issues.

Mexico is too much in disarray right now. The key is if the new coach, Herrera, can integrate his players from Club America with those playing abroad. He has about 6 months to do his research.

I don't know enough about the current Cameroon team except to stereotype that Brazil typically has issues with African teams - again, physical, foul-heavy defense. We typically prevail because the African finishing is just not as good as Brazil's. Ghana in 06 and Ivory Coast in 2010 being excellent examples. I guess the key for Cameroon is how much playing time Eto'o continues to get at Chelsea. I think it's pretty likely Chelsea makes a move for a striker in the winter transfer window and that will be pretty bad for him. I guess there's even talk of Eto'o going to MLS this summer. We'll see.

5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    A lot of things can change in 6 months but I think barring major injuries Brazil will be in consistent form for the WC similar to how they've played since the Confed. Cup. The biggest question mark at the moment is how will Fred recover from his injury. Unfortunately Brazil has no great replacement (and Fred is not that great of a striker to begin with for Brazilian standards) and is considering a false 9 setup as a Plan B in case things don't work out with Fred or his replacement (currently Jo).

Another worrying issue is Neymar's goal scoring form. At the CC he hit a good scoring streak but now at Barca he is struggling to finish even the easiest of chances. If his scoring struggles is coupled with our striker issues, I think we can drop points to either Croatia or Mexico. The positive side is that Neymar has been fairly consistent with creating scoring chances for his teammates.

With regards to pressure, I think the fan support will be more of a positive than the pressure of playing at home at least in the group stage.

6. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    everything is possible in a short sprint like the World Cup.

in a long league, Brazil would be the champion. But in 7 matches, or only the 3 matches of the group play? Mistakes happen, bad luck days too.

7. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    If by any chance, Brazil loses one of its 2 first games, how positive do you think they will be, afterwards ?
    :rolleyes:

8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Brazilian fans are pretty brutal in friendly and qualifying games, but I think in the WC I think fans will be more supportive even if we fall behind in a game. If we get close to being knocked out then I could see things turning. That's just my hunch anyways.

9. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I bet that Moacir Barbosa, if he were alive now days, would probably disagree with you.

10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Call me an optimist !!

But honestly I think that the CC performance turnaround / success gave the team some much needed buffer zone as to when they fans will turn against the team if things start going wrong. If we were going into the WC in pre CC form, I could see it happening really quick.

11. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    If brasil win the first two teams and are guaranteed a top spot, than i can see them drawing the last game. Cameroon is loaded with defensive players of top quality, so if brasil isn't highly motivated and the coach sets them up nicely a goalless draw isn't unlikely.

12. PanchoM

PanchoM Member

Nov 3, 2001
    PalmsPlace
    Brazil has never won the cup if they loose a group game . They are as superstitious as anyone else. A loss in group stages would really shake their confidence .

13. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Nor had anyone else until Spain, though a few teams, including Brazil, had been finalists despite losing a group game.

The Uruguay game in the Confed cup was the toughest potential stretch for the crowd. I think celito is right that at the World Cup support will be there the whole way until maybe the frustrating last minutes of a loss if that ever happens.

I don't get the Barbosa example if we are talking about in-game support. His pariah status came after the game. The crowd at the game was shocked silent once we gave up a second goal, I doubt a modern crowd would go silent.

14. lucasc

lucasc Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Brazil
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Just a little example of how people are way over confident here: my university included a June 28th day off on its calendar for next year, describing it as "Brazil game on WC".

June 28th is the day of the round of 16 game for the leader team on group A.

15. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Brazil hasnt finished in 2nd place in a group in ages. I don't think there's anything wrong with assuming we'll finish in first place. The mentality of this team is quite different from what I would say is the last overconfident Brazil team (2006).

16. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    There is no way Brazil is going to drop points in their respective group.Many of us saw how Brazil was in control in the group stages in June of this year at the Confederations Cup.Mexico has been in disarray lately,Cameroon has done very little at the World Cup after 1990 and Croatia has a losing record against teams from the Americas in the groups stages at the World Cup with defeats against Argentina in '98,Mexico and Ecuador in '02 and Brazil in '06...

17. The411

The411 Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Can't really see it happening. Mexico is a shadow of its 2012 form and despite Brazil's recent struggles with Mexico, Mexico will get blown out unless they fix things and fast. Croatia really hit a tail spin in the second half of qualifying and I'm not sure under the current coach they can mount much of a challenge. They have some excellent talent but their morale seems a bit low. Can't speak too much about Cameroon.

Croatia is capable of getting draw especially if Brazil isn't able to find the net because the pressure to look like the best team will be immense. However, if Brazil gets an early goal Croatia could be in big trouble.

18. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Simunic got a 10 game ban, which effectively means he's out of the World Cup. Could hurt Croatia's defence a lot...

19. BlackDiamond

BlackDiamond Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I will be really, really surprise if we manage to lose even a single point. I dont believe in a walk in the park though.

20. lucasc

lucasc Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Brazil
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Doesn't justify making an off-day out of it beforehand. At all. They can't easily change it now if it is needed.

21. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    After seeing the final of the Confederations Cup in June of this year where Brazil crushed Spain with much ease,a Croatian loss is more likely than them getting a point or 3 out of this match.

22. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Can Brazil stumble? Sure. Anything can happen.

Will Brazil stumble? I don't think Brazil will lose or draw either one of the first two matches. Brazil will be on high octane, firing at all cylinders, from the opening whistle against Croatia, who lost one of its players due to Nazi salutes. And Brazil will be at home.

Mexico is not a weak opponent, but as it was the case at the 2013 Confeds, Brazil will have much going for it come the 2nd match. I don't know much about the current Cameroon side, but if Mexico isn't recovered enough by then, they may well enter the match vs. us with a loss against the Africans. That would force them to attack us, and we're good with open spaces.

23. PapaDoc23

PapaDoc23 Member

Apr 9, 2012
    Brooklyn,New York
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    The thing is no matter what from Mexico is they always give up a hard time. If we do win I do not expect a blowout against Mexico. Maybe 1-0 or 2-1 type of match. Croatia is another tough team as well as Cameroon. I do not think this group is easy and to be taken lightly with. However it is a groups that we can handle. Plus the mentality of this team is different in past teams. Scolari was yelling at the players even when we were up 3x0 against Spain. He is a motivator,tough and takes no crap. He is looking for players that are hungry to win. We have alot of youth player and they are playing at home. No one in that team wants to be the team that failed to win the WC at home for the second time.

24. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The Brazilian team is talented but new, unproven and inexpirienced. Can easily see them dropping some points but can't see them not winning their group. They won't win the cup though.

25. BlackDiamond

BlackDiamond Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Almost every Brasil´s starter player plays for a big european team. They´re used to the pressure of playing and winning important matches. I wouldnt call them inexperienced athletes at all. The Confed Cup was a good test on this matter, as any Brazilian fan wasnt expecting nothing less than the trophy, as usual, and we did good. Lack of experience has not been an issue for Brazil all over the years and won´t be once more. If I was a Colombian, a Belgian or a Swiss, I´d be worried about a hypothetical lack of experience being a possible issue preventing my team to do a good job in the WC, but a Brazilian, as well as a German, an Italian, an Argentinian, even a Spaniard, really, that´s not an issue at all.

Although I´m pretty sure group stage wont be a walk in the park, our group is quite acessible and, with good but not top teams, it will serve us as a good preparation camp for the knockout stage, as it´s usual for us in World Cups (it´s rare for us to start a World Cup with a well-rounded team). I will be extremely surprised if we dont win all the three matches.

As for winning the World Cup, it´s a whole other story, once our road to the final tends to be really tough. Maybe we are slightly favorites right now because of home factor plus hot weather. Anyway, to say anything about knockout stage this early is just a futurology exercise.