Can Atl Utd be the most supported team in MLS

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by Eleven Bravo, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thoughts? No one thought we'd be anything more than a drop in the bucket but we have the record for season ticket holders and our team looks like it could compete for the playoffs in year 1.

2. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hate to say it, but the history of sports fandom in Atlanta points toward no. As good as Atlanta has done so far, they're still behind Seattle at this point.

I'd like to be proven wrong. The Falcons this season aside, there isn't a lot of history of success for professional teams in Atlanta. If they can become a winner, that'll go a long way. The fact that it's a new team in a comparatively new league could help as well. Transplants who grew up supporting other teams in other leagues may be more willing to make Atlanta United their team because they didn't have a soccer team growing up (raises hand).

3. AeroNaught

AeroNaught Member+

Atlanta United
    Feb 14, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we're talking about purely season average attendance, we'd have to beat Seattle's all time best of 44,247. From what the club has released on attendance, they'll be capping it at 40k with a few possible exceptions (my bet would be the openers for both stadiums, and maybe a big ticket team like LA or rival like Orlando). Assuming 55k for the first game at Bobby Dowd and 71k for the Benz opener, perfect case scenario of 40k for the other 15 home games we're looking at an average of 42.7k. We'd have to open the full stadium for two more games (let's just assume we get 55k for the NYCFC game and 60k for the LA game) to put us above the all time average at 44,764. Certainly doable, but a lot of things have to go right.

If we're talking about number of fans in general and market penetration, it might be a hard sell like Mach1 said seeing Atlanta's history with current/past teams (especially if they don't start doing so well in the standings).

4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Pragmatic answer is "no," if only because the measuring stick is pretty far. The telling sign will be how many ST holders renew even if the season is a humbling one. Plus I'm pleased with how things have evolved while keeping my expectations modest. All I wanted at the beginning was 20k. Essentially filling the lower bowl. That we're now poised to break 30k... Amazing!

Is the potential there? Possibly. One thing I'd be curious to see is exactly what the capacity will be with the upper deck closed off. Reason being - Once you open up the upper deck it's pretty much all or nothing, and that might dramatically alter the gameday experience. For instance, if the conventional MLS configuration for MBS caps out at about 40k and we (dare to dream!) consistently cap out at 37k, then I'd rather they keep that configuration then risk opening it up too often in a chase for the higher number. Think about that for a second: Even disregarding the naysayers comments about how bad Atlanta has been as a sports market, the mere concept of consistently piling 30k+ into a stadium for MLS should be considered shout-from-the-top-of-Stone-Mtn. awesome! Especially if we provide the atmosphere to go with it. Thus -

My dream is to be a notch better than Orlando attendance-wise and become the eastern counterpart to Seattle with regard to MLS experience. MBS is tailor made to make that happen, and if we get it right this first year we can keep fan enthusiasm high and then there is a great deal of potential to make that happen. If we do then I'd be over the moon. But that means not only being there but truly getting the fans involved. Standing and cheering, singing and chanting, bringing tifos, and, most importantly, doing it EVRY TIME, WIN OR LOSE!

If we make this about us as much as the team, it's possible.

Eleven Bravo and Bisquick_in_da_MGM repped this.
  5. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having been part of the Atlanta sports community for the past thirty years, my feeling is that we need to win a lot of games this first season or interest will melt away. The core will always remain but in order for AU to be a "thing" they'll need to generate actual excitement on the pitch. Looks like they're doing a good job at providing the players to make that come true. We'll see.

6. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    What he said. The most important thing is to win. Win everything. People from all over love the Patriots, the Crimson Tide, the Yankees, and list can go on and on. I don't want to hear it if you don't like one of those teams. Point is simple. If the team wins a lot of games the first few years and it looks and feels like real soccer culture then it will be hugh.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  7. When Saturday Comes

Apr 9, 2012
    Calgary
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I don't think Atlanta is behind Seattle in their respective stages as a MLS club and I think that's the only fair way to look at it. AUFC 27k to 30k STH is above the Sounders in their first season 4 weeks before kick-off.

If the team is exciting and the out of town ST numbers continue to be unbelievably high I think they have a chance to be right at the top of MLS in 5 years.

whiteonrice04 repped this.
  8. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    The fans can do nothing about the product on the field. And, TBH, the organization can only do so much initially.

But the gameday/stadium experience is heavily influenced by these groups.

If the fans and the organization make the game fun to attend no matter the score, that will pay off in keeping fans through the tough stretches.

When Saturday Comes repped this.
  9. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to drop this in here, but didn't see a really good other thread related to fans visiting. I am coming out from LA to hit a game in Orlando on 4/29 and then your game against DC on 4/30 (home I got those dates right). Regardless, flying into ATL mid Sunday morning and have a hotel across from Bobby Dodd. To save money, taking subway up from the airport to Georgia Tech Area- I think it is North Station, then walk across the freeway to stadium/hotel area. Reverse the process on Monday morning to fly back to LA. How long of a walk from the subway to Tech? Got a roller bag also. What is the area like around the subway stop- one map showed kind of shopping/restaurant district? Looking forward to the game at Bobby Dodd, got into the empty stadium years ago (maybe 10 years) . Much changed? How do you think it will play for soccer? Once I hit Atlanta this year and Minnesota and LAFC next year, will have been to every team in the league and 1 or 2 stadiums for each. I try to hit the older or original stadium first, come back to the newer place second. (thats why I am hitting Orlando) Will come back and check your dome maybe when Miami or DC finally get their places...

10. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shouldn't be too bad of a walk if you're pulling a wheeled suitcase. I'm not too familiar with hanging out in that part of Atlanta - there's a shopping/eating area now up the line at a place called Atlantic Station which is very contemporary Outdoor Mall, if you know what I mean. Not great "atmosphere", but it's convenient to where you'll be and full of restaurants, etc.

Bobby Dodd has a reputation among my gridiron friends as having terrible sight-lines. I've only been once, and that was twenty five years ago at least. Who knows how the footie will play out there? The best that can be said is that it will be open air and real grass, so there's that.

Congratulations on hitting all the stadiums in the league!

11. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, most Atlanta teams have historically been God awful.

There's a difference between teams having highs and lows in winning and historically always being a whipping boy in every league.

I believe if we put a winning team out there; we'll have winning attendance. However, if we put a dud that gets stomped on by everyone and ignored by the higher ups, I expect the fanbase to do the same.

12. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    BDS is actually really good for football save for two things:

1) It's very tight, so the gridiron players on the bench restrict near-sideline views. It's possible this may come into play with the wider footie field but hopefully nowhere near as badly.
    2) The atrocious over-reach of the north end zone expansion is not only architecturally clumsy but the configuration means the upper deck of that section has poor acoustics, with the uppermost seats feeling really far away for what is otherwise a smallish stadium. They'd have been far better if they simply made a small two-tier stand that mirrored the east side, IMO.

At the absolute least fans will be really close to the action, which should be great, and, assuming a crowd of about 30k, if they've kept the fans from the upper west and upper north sections it should feel like a raucous setting. I will say this - If you end up in the east side or north side sections be sure to wear sun block, shades and a hat for any day games because Mr. Sun can be quite brutal on those sections. Also, seating in the semi-historic lower west stand will feel very tight because it's old-school bleacher spacing there.

Indeed. Very cool feat.

13. CAllen91

CAllen91 Member

Atlanta United
    Oct 23, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The walk from the North Ave station to the stadium isn't bad at all, maybe a half a mile so ~10 minutes. Its a fairly safe area of Atlanta with Tech right there. I'm guessing you got a room at the Hampton as it's the only hotel on that side of the connector in that part of town. Gunner correct me if I'm wrong but there's not to much in the immediate area right there. Personally I'd take an Uber to the Centennial Park area, the Colony Square area at 14th and Peachtree, or Atlantic Square like the good Dr. said up on 17th.

14. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I heard that about 20 more people joined TL after the game. That brings total membership to around 500 with 6 local chapters in 3 States.

15. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I asked earlier about taking MARTA to the games. I will be coming from Alabama. What should I do?

16. CAllen91

CAllen91 Member

Atlanta United
    Oct 23, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My south and west side knowledge of the Marta lines are limited. I'd either park at the airport (the park and ride lot is $9) or if you want free parking go to either the College Park station which is just north of the airport or the Holmes station on the East-West line out near the 285-20 intersection. They both have free parking but I'm not sure of the safety of your car in either. I'd imagine the College Park would be a little safer than Holmes due to it's proximity to the airport.

Or you could drive up to the Dunwoody or North Springs stations on the north side and ride in with us! :laugh::laugh:

17. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Cross the State border, then never go back.

Andy Bulldog and CAllen91 repped this.
  18. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Why would I never want to go back to Georgia? I wouldn't be able to see the Club play.

19. Andy Bulldog

Andy Bulldog Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Alabama
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Gunner meant never go back to Alabumer. If he didnt, then I will say it. lol.

CAllen91 repped this.
  20. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I intend to take MARTA to nearly all the games. I'll pay to park there rather than downtown.

21. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Yeah. I got the joke. Sorry that I didn't use the sarcasm font.

22. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Ok, let's not start all that. You at least want us to go back as missionaries, right?

23. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Speaking of which, I'm interested in seeing that new movie The Great Wall.

24. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Won't be done until later this summer. In the meantime you can go see the Mediocre Wall in Tulsa, Oklahoma

25. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States