Camp Cupcake: Jan 2019 Edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by keller4president, Oct 12, 2018.

1. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You look at all 10 goals individually. Because I'd rather have a guy that scored 10 goals in the MLS playoffs than someone who scored 10 goals beating up on Bundesliga relegation fodder.

You watch the games. You watch the goals. That's the only way you can make the decision.

2. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He would say that, wouldn't he. It's boilerplate.

But did he say that he would not call up Sarge in the event he is not getting minutes with the first team? I'm speculating that he did not say that.

Personally, my own view of the matter is that international call ups assist young players who are not realizing their full value at club and are therefore not getting exposure to higher/different level of play.

Some colleges - state schools especially who must respect impartiality - tend to accept students according to test scores, i.e., are you a first team player. Hwvr, very elite schools are much more interested in breadth of experience across the student body. My guess is that Sarge is a more effective player at Bremen because he played for USA vs. Italy. If you agree, then why would you not want him to play? If he is a better player he is more likely to play on the first team and you say that is your paramount concern.

Patrick167 repped this.
  3. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A developmental prospect who is getting showcases in youth internationals like Mendez is a false equivalent to a 24 year old who spent 4 years in college and 2 in MLS proving himself before he was prepared for a move to a quality overseas' league. Or even someone who graduated high school before going from academy to 1st team to proving one's self after becoming a regular in an MLS system that leads to bias against them on most teams. At that point quality European leagues are not interested in you unless you're an international, have that shine, and are displaying your ability against better players in either perception or reality. You also have to deal w/ MLS' single entity system if you haven't made it thru your contract yet.

Do you have examples of players well into their 20's making moves overseas without being internationals first? There are plenty who seemingly have quality or reinforced it once they finally did get the opportunity, with the national team being the cue for clubs.

You're revising history when it comes to Donovan and Besler. Donovan only spent a few months here or there in Europe. Not really enough time to get better or worse. As for Besler, he was never the reason the team lost, and was always more reliable than the alternative cd's. The question would be could he have been even better for the national team if he went overseas. He was already virtually maximizing his average talent-level, and it obviously is not required for everybody given the aforementioned samples. You can be self-motivated and trained to be good anywhere. Europe is just the blueprint.

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think everyone would want Sargent called up, if he's getting minutes with Werder Bremen. He's supposed to be in the 18 this weekend. Hopefully he gets his first minutes this weekend.

5. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, you didn't want him called up when he got called up, which has been for ~8 months now, and you don't want him called up if he isn't playing for Bremen? Because saying "everyone wants Sargent getting minutes with Bremen" says nothing. His callups to this point have been while he's barely made the bench, let alone played a single minute for WB.

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Berhalter didn't mention Sargent or any player by name.

7. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think in Lalas' interview he did mention Sargent and how he hasn't played any minutes professionally. He didn't say he wouldn't call him up, but did say that players need to be playing with some regularity.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  8. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Really? I would agree that usually players should be playing regularly. But with the current state of the talent pool, I don't think that should be the case right now.

9. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did a mashup of ASN's top 100 (vet heavy) and whoscored (what have you done for me lately in statistical hell) for
    1) MLS based players
    2) who aren't likely to move abroad (Zimmerman, Adams, etc)
    3) were born in 87 or after

and ended up with this mix, FWIW:

GK: Bill Hamid (28), Luis Robles, Stefan Frei
    CD: Tim Parker(25), Aaron Long (26), Matt Hedges, Steve Birnbaum, Matt Besler
    FB: Keegan Rosenberry(24), Fafa Picault(27), Reggie Cannon, Nick Lima, Ben Sweat
    CM: Christian Roldan(23), Russel Canouse(23), Sean Davis, Sebastian Lletget (26), Jakori Hayes, Michael Bradley wearing sunglasses and a hat, Kelyn Acosta, Will "Itsa" Trapp
    Wings: Paul Arriola(23), Darlington Nagbe, Chris Pontius(31), Alex Muyl, Luis Silva
    Forwards: Gyasi Zardes(27), Jozy Altidore, Dom Dwyer

10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Adams has been the best senior team's best player. But even the new manager has stated the Gold Cup isn't the be all, end all. Winning a first world title would be huge for this program.

11. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I think USSF has clearly been in a holding pattern since hiring Earnie Stewart. Thus, I think Sarachan was generally given free rein until the last few months, when I'm betting his September, October, and November were influenced by circumstances.

Ignoring Adams and Steffen, I count 20 U.S.- or Scandinavian-based players called up in the last 3 months:

Guzan, Bono
    Parker, Long, Zimmerman
    Cannon, Villafana, Sweat
    Trapp, Acosta, Lletget, Delgado, Roldan, Voldemort
    Nagbe, Arriola, Picault, Amon, Gall
    Zardes

Throw in 5-10 more players - a mix of surprising youngsters and whichever other veterans that Berhalter likes best, and I think this will be our Camp Cupcake.

GumbyG repped this.
  12. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Every MLS player, that is. For those players who are seeking moves to Europe in this window, or have just been bought by European sides, they're going to stay with their clubs for obvious reasons...

13. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Of course, as I said, every MLS team. No European teams will probably release players unless they are working on a move back to MLS.

Marko72 repped this.
  14. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Back line: Lima, please, instead of Brooks Lennon or Rosenberry. Otherwise, Austen Trusty? There has to be somebody better out there.

MIds: Can't we just please retire Bradley so we can get on with creating responsibility in mid and why not leave poor Nagbe alone for once? Also, Amon and Gall are forwards.

Forwards: Looks bleak, apart from Zardes, but I would bring Ramirez. At some stage, Sciaretta has to ask himself how many people really want to spend $100 to watch Sabbi's act in front of the nets. Not me, for one.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  16. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Michael Bradley?:mad:

17. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to move on from Bradley permanently. Just say thanks for your service in the past, but you got old physically, and it's caused you to be very negative/insecure in your passing, leading to lost momentum in the build-up, and the occasional bad turnover. Plus you can't challenge anyone unless they lose the ball first. That's unacceptable. We need ball-winners, especially w/ the pressure system we're trying to play from youth internationals on up.

I'd like to greatly de-emphasize the Kellyn Acosta project for similar reasons. It's gone on a few years and hasn't gone anywhere. Time to move on to better projects.

I'm talking experiments like EPB at the 6. If he's not going to be playing for Breda at this time I'd propose to them that we experiment with him in that spot because he's a destroyer who can empower the cm's in front of him to be more aggressive offensively. That's of value to us, potentially to them, and around the world. The experiment doesn't seem to be happening with any 1st team of EPB's yet.

That's a decent list by Brian. The glaring omissions from that list are Lima, and I'd say Glad. I'd call in Mueller. Just showed too much potential to not. Just needs to be refined to not hesitate like he did later in the year. Fafa? Rowe? Put extra attackers on a side field doing 2 v. 2's and separate wheat from chaff. Need to be creative there. I still also want to see Sapong around the team. He performs every time he is. Ebobisse brings similar target play and pressure, although his ball carriage is poorer. Also would like to see Tyler Miller get a half at keeper. What's the point of Guzan at a camp cupcake?

USSoccerNova and Excellency repped this.
  18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    repped but the hysteria over the 6 position around here is gratuitous. There's too much of a feeling that a) if we let Berhalter play Trapp at the 6 in Jan camp he will be cemented in for Qatar 2022 or b) our big problem is the 6 and we must try anything but Trapp.

At the moment we have to sort out the front three and how to get them support from midfield and fullbacks and cb's. I think our worst games at the 6 were Colombia when Bradley played there and England when the hapless McKennie was paired as a dub 6 with Trapp and left our 18 yd line looking ragged.

The first hurdle to overcome when Berhalter takes over is to avoid misidentifying the problem. The problem, when identified correctly, will be tough enough to solve. Misidentifying the problem will delay us, perhaps fatally.

The reason I like 3 mids is stopping this stuff (shades of LIndgard's goal, first GA v. England)

Another stunner from Junior Hoilett from Cardiff City.

https://streamja.com/OZv6

19. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A US player?

20. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As US as Saskatchewan !

USSoccerNova and yabo repped this.
  21. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As American as moose and mounties.

TOAzer, USSoccerNova and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  22. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    Might have been if the War of 1812 had gone differently.

TOAzer and yabo repped this.
  23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    So who gets the call-up next month?

Steffen or does he rest and focus on preparing for the Crew? Could Hamid get an inclusion? what about the likes of Gonzalez/Bono? Would the likes of Melia or Frei get a surprise call into camp?

24. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Why would anyone in MLS need a rest? I doubt his place is in jeopardy in Columbus. I would expect Steffan and Hamid and Guzan and whoever.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I'd expect Jesse Gonzalez.

Won't be surprised if Guzan sits this one out to be with his family...............................

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.