Camp Cupcake: Jan 2019 Edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by keller4president, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are LigaMX players available?

2. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    First camp in the cycle with the new coach, I would think every MLS team will release players. I would expect every player that can be there after injury recovery to be there.

This isn't last year with a useless camp under Sarachan that should have been cancelled.

Marko72 repped this.
  3. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Absolutely the ******** not. He hustles, sure, but his positional awareness is appalling and he has no real skills.

Patrick167 repped this.
  4. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    With Adams and Steffan leaving MLS, these are the only players left I'd want to see. They will call 23+ players, but imo these are the only interesting looks:

Cannon
    Long
    Amon (if available)
    Mihailovic
    Canouse
    Richards (if available)
    D. Acosta
    Altidore

5. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Not in past camps, they haven't been. Unless they are reserves/second-division players, in which case they are probably not good enough.

6. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    The last Mexican-based player called in for a January camp was Julio Morales (Tepic) in 2015, who was then playing the Mexican second-division. Which proves my point - any players who are able to be called in for a January camp from Mexico are not good enough for the USMNT.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    This isn't a FIFA date. Clubs can choose not to release their players.

The CCL games are in mid-February. So it just depends how long and hard MLS clubs are training in advance of those matches. Will they be scheduling friendlies, etc. in preparation? I remember FCD once went on a trip to Argentina to play some matches in advance of the CCL games. Its possible that they'll release players for the camp, but will pull them in advance of the match against Panama. We'll see.

This is Atlanta, Houston, SKC, Toronto, and the MLS Cup winner (Atlanta or Portland).

IndividualEleven repped this.
  8. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wrong. Jorge Villafana was called up in 2017. He is not that great but decent enough to get several caps with the USMNT.

9. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
  10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Alvarado called in for a friendly then.

11. alslammerz

alslammerz Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Staten Island, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Atlanta wins the MLS Cup, it'll be the NYRB who take the CCL spot.

Patrick167 repped this.
  12. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you transfer that quote from an old thread?

Anyways, at the time, Ebobisse needed time, and he made great use of it. So good on him and I'd call him up now.

Definitely not Vazquez since he didn't make great use of his.

I usually try to be fluid based on the info at the time, not make many predictions how careers will go, promote calling up those players, and stick with them. The latter approach is going to lead to a lot more mistakes, logically, and from what we've seen.

13. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ebobisse just needed to play more. Vasquez needs to be played in the right position.

I think more young players need to be looked at, especially in January camp. I would really like to see Pomykal get a call up.

14. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He has 263 career MLS minutes. What has he done to earn a full national team call-up, and why would that benefit him more than playing exclusively with the U-20s throughout early 2019?

15. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't have that many young American midfielders available for January, so why not? What did Sargent do to earn his call up? His lack of playing time is the coach's fault. He was one of our best players in U20 WC qualifying.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The why not would be that we need to prepare for Gold Cup. Having said that, I wonder if guys like Nagbe, Delgado, Davis will be with their CCL prep camps. Roldan has groin issue (which I believe is a "takes time" issue).

My sense is that 3G's may be going with Trapp(6) + Canouse(8) vs. Panama.

17. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need young attacking players and depth.

18. 70runner

70runner Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Just pleased to see nobody has suggested some sort of veteran, aka Bradley, presence. Let the kids play and learn.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    What have Sargent or Weah done that Pomykal hasn't? They play in the right league?

I'm not advocating to give Pomykal any call-ups. I think he's one of our best AM's (a position we have almost no depth), but I think players need to earn call ups at the club level. Most here don't like that. They approve of the Sargent and Weah call-ups because they are on the USSF hype squad. Pomykal's not on that, so to some fans he needs to earn a call up, while others don't need to.

20. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Caps should be earned, not given.

Won the Silver Boot at the 2017 U-20 World Cup, but I think that calling him up and giving him so many appearances at the senior level is and has been a mistake. Until he starts at least playing regularly for Bremen's first team, he should be featuring exclusively with the youth national teams. Only then should his role with the US be re-assessed.

21. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I just don't see how any kind of blanket rule on this issue makes sense. Sargent, arguably, has been better than MLS strikers with the USMNT and Weah has been better than MLS wingers. If not all, some.

It is a conundrum that Berhalter and Stewart will have to figure out on a case by case basis.

Berhalter sold Steffan to Man. City. So, if he doesn't play there in March he can't be called? If Dortmund sit Pulisic a little more because he won't resign, we can't call him? We can't call Weah but we could call Muyl? It just becomes ridiculous trying to apply an across the board rule here because our players are all over the place and our domestic league is a very strange one to compare to European leagues.

I do like the idea of fielding full strength U20 teams. But our players will not be released for them. Even MLS teams didn't release U20 players that didn't even dress for games.

22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #72 Excellency, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    I'm calling foul. If Sarge was being hyped, maybe it is Werder Bremen of the Bundesliga. He played for our u17's then got called in to the u20's in the same year!!!! Then he signs with Bremen and scores goals and wins the golden boot at a youth tourney in England.

At some point the "have to earn it with minutes for the club with property rights" has to cede to our "lyin' eyes".

We will be playing competitive games in a very short time. We need Sarge to be hooking up with CP. Are you seriously saying that a guy who scored 2 goals in one season with a relegation squad and cant hold the ball longer than a single touch should get starts over Sarge just because he starts for a (different) relegation squad?

Recommended viewing over xmas for US Soccer: "The Bridge on the River Kwai" (Talk about "earning your stripes")

Patrick167 repped this.
  23. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They earn it by being the best prospect.

24. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    They're teenagers. Why rush? Give them a chance to settle in with their clubs and develop leadership skills at youth international level. If their talent demands that they play at the senior international level (which is certainly not yet the case for Sargent or Weah, nor was it for Stanford-era Jordan Morris), then they're almost certainly playing at club level enough that this is all a moot point.

The incentive to play guys at senior level who are playing for their clubs is two-fold: 1) It provides clear goals for players in the pool. Do well at club level, we'll notice you. 2) It means that players will be more up to speed when they get into camps. Look at Miazga in the November friendlies. He hadn't made a matchday squad in over a month, and it showed.

To your examples, Steffen and Pulisic: goalkeepers are different; backups can go months without playing without much impact on their play, and Pulisic has demonstrated that he has to be playing for the US, regardless of club status. No one other than him is at that level.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  25. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I don't think it is at all the case that if they are good enough they will be playing. I do believe it is the case that any player could find a level where he will play. But, for the long term good of the program we need players to challenge themselves and become the best professional they can be.

Tyler Adams is starting for NYRB, he can be called. He moves to a Champions League contending team and if he is not starting right away, he can't be called? He is not the same player? Your "rule" will just have the current generation take the easy route of the last generation and stay in MLS and collect their paychecks and never get better.

Plus, the idea that Sargent can play with the U20s is not going to work. Bremen will not release him for that. They have to release him for the senior team. These problems are unique, almost, to the USA. Mexico mostly has their U23s in Mexico, all the UEFA teams do to. Maybe CONMEBOL countries have this issue? But even in Brazil and Argentina, their 16 and 18 year olds are not incentivized to leave for Europe. They can stay in country and get a move at any time they need one.

Sorry, starting Miguel Ibarra because he "plays" over Weah just doesn't seem logical. I have no doubt that Weah would start for Minnesota United too. Is that what you want, a guy not to try to play at PSG and just play for Minnesota his whole career?

Oh, and was Miazga rusty or just playing for Dave Sarachan? Brad Guzan on the Max & Herc show joined the chorus of guys saying their was not tactical plan in those games and guys had no idea what they were supposed to do.