Rumor: Cabrera fired?

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by zolafan, Aug 13, 2019.

1. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #26 juvechelsea, Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    there is a long history -- like 2 years now -- of us losing most of the close ones. the organizational/payroll situation makes us marginal. the coach then can't win the close ones at that margin. there is no magical past history where he did consistently well. he had 1 season of 4 that went well.

to that end, he is a coach with a 433 gimmick, the frontline is being dismantled, and he has one note. personally i thought it was a GM error to stock up on multiple forwards for the interregnum. but i think it says something about cabrera that we are moderately successful in-system and look useless if a cog is missing or we try to play anything else.

in other words, one reason to can him is he is not a flexible, versatile coach, and we're in a transition.

Ethos repped this.
  2. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cabrera really was handcuffed with the way MLS has boomed these past 5 seasons now. How many teams started to spend, and spend wisely. Our suits did not give him the goalie we needed nor a conductor down the spine of our team. Positions that have been glaring needs for our team since Dom was head man.
    He appears to be a level headed and honest man as personality goes. A veteran of Colombian football from the 80's n 90, so I trusted him to be tactically wise and for sure not a nieve boss of futboleros. A man that can man manage his squad.
    In the end, Cabrera certainly didn't know how to shape his team on many nights and more troubling was all the dropped points from late game cluskerfuc{s of our entire team taking some Andalusian Siesta around the79th minute.
    Then we started to lose at home thia year.
    Then this became routine.
    I thought after the 5-0 beat down we took away to Atlanta was the proper time to let him go.
    Well, here is to some bump in results and good on you Davy Arnaud. Nederland's best footballer!
    Come to think of it, Arnaud will be the very first Texan to coach our great Texas club.

7seven7, DNez2001 and Ethos repped this.
  3. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct!
    Wow. Coulda had Almeyda here as our boss!

4. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    one version of this would be my argument that facing what we are, why did we continue staffing the team to a 433? we have other needs and we don't really have good enough forwards (assuming) for the status quo. a coach with a brain would be going more defensive. a GM with a brain, knowing we were picking up filler, would anticipate that. or would have serious replacements lined up.

maybe we intend to play chicken on selling players. maybe the idea is some of the name brands are still here after the summer. but to me if you are going to sell people, commit, do it. don't sit people out, grow the gap to the red line, and then change your mind. people dispute the willis talk but it's this lopez/ landin/ cubo pattern of not being able to do what we need and execute promptly.

beyond that, i agree, "sequence" things. if you want to sell forwards, line up forwards to buy, same time. if you think the coach may need to go, do it early and get the new guy in giving their opinion. it feels disorganized and flighty to shape the team to him and then sitting over coffee some morning just after, decide he needs to go.

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  5. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Could we offer him a competitive salary? He was coaching at one of the biggest clubs in Mexico.. I doubt his wages were cheap enough for our ownership.

6. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    He went to San Jose. Those guys are in our ballpark in spending. I'm willing to bet he took a cut in pay to come to MLS.

ElNaranja repped this.
  7. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    If the Quakes can pay him, so could we

Varus repped this.
  8. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    amen. if our only no-doubt successes are basically sign the honduran NT (give or take manotas) a trained monkey handed a honduran lineup card and something to throw can do the job. there has been no evident benefit from the reorganization, and in fact it became obvious that x was a cabrera guy but y must have been jordan's, that he didn't want. an executive can handle the formal negotiations and signings, the coach can make the final decisions, and we can spend the money on scouting, which would report to and inform the coach rather than lord over him.

9. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    the survey last year said he was the coach MLS players least wanted to play for.

10. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    if we sell players there will be no "bump." you will get + enthusiasm and tactics but - personnel and talent. the philly loss would be a preview. a more sensible formation, more effort, and blow it in the end. think wade barrett's period. it may make the hustle fans happy but there won't be enough talent left to compete. you start out below the line and subtract key players and no amount of kumbaya can fix that.

re the other part, this speaks to the lack of football men in the leadership, and the reliance/deference to jordan to explain things. legit soccer people would be like the acquisitions are routinely bad, and those 4 people you just picked up are ok at best. there is no elis hiding in the bunch. but to get that message through you have to have soccer people who can get it themselves, or power centers independent of jordan who grasp what is going on. otherwise, i agree, "we are in a swoon, but we got 4 great new players, and we can ride the energy of a new coach, see what happens, and make it even better in the winter." sell. sell. sell. but an average fan would be thinking stick a fork in it.

we need owners who live here and endure what happens and don't have to ask jordan to explain what is going on.

11. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I'm not familiar with their ownership group and their ambition/willingness to spend. Maybe they actually care.

12. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    objectively all we know is they fired the coach. other than that, they appear to be dangling 2-3 of the forwards, and leaving them out of play like they will be sold, but that is not official. and selling doesn't signify spending. this summer with harden around we have done 2 marginal forward trades, signed a RGV player, and signed bizama, who thus far strikes me as probably of no more expense and effort than his predecessors. a "value" guy.

i do think there is a potential for change with cabrera going, but in terms of spending we would not know if the attitude or bankroll changed until the winter. the window is closed. one can hope but we won't know til december or january.

also, while i will not go to the "it's a waste for jordan to have picks, etc." level because that becomes defeatist, i think you would need change in that position to see change on the field. we could spend more but he might just go buy some 32 year old italian player like he used to do in montreal.

13. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I was talking about San Jose's ownership.

I know our ownership doesn't care and won't spend.

14. Dynam0

Dynam0 Member

Arsenal
    Feb 3, 2018
    Houston, Texas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    @ElNaranja

you missed the sarcasm on my comment.

15. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Varaiza does not attribute this Almeyda thought to Almeyda. It sounds like conjecture. Almeyda was not available during late 2016 when you hired Cabrera. Cabrera had not yet earned the privilege of being fired when SJE hired Almeyda.

(I'm not defending the contract extension -- I think that was a mistake because the jury was still out on Cabrera to those who know MLS (not Jordan).)

But I can't connect any dots that suggest the Dynamo ever had a chance at Almeyda.

Now Almeyda walked away from Chivas for SJE. If there is any wisdom to Varaiza's speculation then why would he not walk away from SJE after this season for his "dream scenario?"

16. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boy howdy! Dem San Jose lifers hate us as it is. For AEG lying to them for years and moving their boys to our city. We get blamed for what AEG did.
    Imagine if our FO does pinch their new coach out from under them?!? More so after Almeyda has righted their ship!
    They would LOATHE us!!!

DonJuego repped this.
  17. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    all the better

18. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #43 juvechelsea, Aug 14, 2019
    re the arguments that Almeyda was never possible, meh. settling for cabrera in 2016 does lock in a period, but that's not when it would get done. cabrera had a bad 2018 and yet. and that's when almeyda was hired, by another team that missed the playoffs. deal being they took it more serious than we did. we fell to 9th in conference last year. he could have been fired then. we instead chose to extend Cabrera like we'd won the world cup, because of how usoc went. a sane team would have seen what happened as a failure interrupted by a pleasant blip. fired, almeyda, bingo.

our response was extend the guy, then fire him when we got similar results a year later. we made a PR blitz out of USOC + CCL and bought our own headlines. the league standings give you reality and haven't changed. his 2019 performance is his 2018 performance. this is a lost year owing to let's make a big deal out of any success. worse, not just he gets to stay coach. he gets extended.

i am not sure if we would have had the snap or the cash to make this move, but when we cratered last season on many teams that would have led to.....what is the word of the day......accountability??? i assume some people think doing it a season late counts. this kind of underlines the consequences. you get another losing season. you get the coaching carousel goes around without you and you're being coached by davy arnaud. when you do not engage in real accountability, nothing changes, at least not at a rate meaningful to the fans.

given how we really did last year i don't think pretending there was no chance is quite accurate. maybe on this team it is how it is, but that's an orange kool aid drenched assumption.

19. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    this is your liminal period, like the transfer windows or the drafts. i don't get responding with "but we're cheap," etc. this is the window for hope. if you don't have hope in at least these little nooks and crannies where change happens.....

20. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Always know that the organization is doing great when I see the "Stop complaining or they'll move the team!" comments popping up on the subreddit.

That's the tacit admission that even the most ardent apologists have run out of things to say.

TX Bill and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  21. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...nder-future-club-start-search-next-head-coach

Uh Jordan can't possibly believe the stuff he's saying can he?

Houston are one of the league's lowest spenders in regards to the salary cap, but it's not something Jordan believes hinders the squad or should lessen expectations.

“This is the same team that had the best start in club history," Jordan said. "In the summer transfer window we were one of the most aggressive teams in MLS, trading for Christian Ramirez and Niko Hansen, and the transfer of Jose Bizama. We have a good team."

Also

We’re open to evaluating candidates that have varying degrees of experience," Jordan said. "There have been several coaches to express interest in the position. ... The key to all of this is not necessarily about a big name, it’s about finding the right person that fits the club’s strategic plan. That’s the most important thing to consider.”

So we're going cheap again, probably combination of cheapness and Jordan not wanting a coach that can challenge him.

And lastly:

“It’s important for us to get a candidate who connects with the Houston community and soccer culture here," Jordan said. "That’s something we’re very committed to. Houston is the most diverse city in the United States, it’s something we’re very proud of as a club. If you look at our roster, it’s a reflection of our city.”

A: Why does this matter?

B: How is this even true?

DonJuego, DNez2001, ElNaranja and 2 others repped this.
  22. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #47 Westside Cosmo, Aug 14, 2019
    Jordan toes the company line, says what the owners want to hear/ believe while everyone else on the outside sees how F’n delusional they all are.

Sad day for the club, further validation nothing will change.

And make no mistake, much of this is Jordan trying to justify the job he’s done by putting all of the blame on Cabrera. I go back to Wilmers comments in Seattle the night of the 2017 Western Conference elimination where he spit out not to expect many more players because the team wasn’t going to spend (paraphrasing)

23. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can always move to Oregon and pump gas and support the Timbers?

Ethos repped this.
  24. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Duuuuuude! I actually thought of you the other day when we were reminiscing about the old school Dynamo fans. I said to myself “I hope he ain’t watching this shtshow”.

25. webfoot

webfoot Member

Apr 30, 2007
    Corpse in Houston, spirit in Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    I don't need to move to Oregon to support the Timbers. And if you think that I support the extreme left you would be wrong. I am a moderate. And brother, if you haven't been paying attention, there are a lot more of us than you left and right wing extremists. The moderates helped elect a black president twice, and,while the extreme liberal left was prematurely celebrating hitlary, we went Trump.

I will let you tell me why these election results ended up this way.

And my man, I am giving you a chance to both think and forecast.

And by thinking I don't mean spoon fed agendas or dogmas.

You have no idea what is headed your way. I do. That is why I am grabbing the popcorn and the ammo.

Time to think outside the box, bro.