C-League

Discussion in 'Canada' started by FootySkeptic, Nov 11, 2015.

1. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
  2. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Are they intent on calling it C-League? I like the name, but China already has a league by that name. Maybe CAN-League?

3. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh-League would be really meta

FootySkeptic repped this.
  4. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Canadian Premiership would be cool too. They have options but who knows what they'll pick. Anything but CSL

C-League is just whats been reported so far.

CSL = Chinese Super League or Criminal Soccer League (the Canadian version)

Polygong repped this.
  5. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "If you look at football around the world I mean you have Serie A, Serie B, Serie C, Liga Pro, there’s no reason why we couldn’t have very similar type – obviously not the quantity you have in those countries and we just don’t have the sheer numbers, but in terms of a structure"

Sorry, you shouldn't even be trying to mention the league structure of other countries then say, "we could try that here, too." Especially not four levels.

6. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Truthfully, Australia's league system is the one most suited for us to use as a basis. They have the fully professional nation-wide A-League, which is at a level between MLS and NASL, then each state has its own semi-pro/ameteur league system.

So in our case we would have three MLS teams plus the new D2 league, though it seems likely that FCE will remain in NASL. Combined the pro teams still give us our own domestic competition in the Voyageurs Cup. After that, each provincial association should have its own league system that sits below this, or where it makes sense have neighbouring provinces can share leagues.

Also worth noting is that the Australian State leagues include collegiate teams along with semi-pro teams.

7. Impactsupporter

Impactsupporter New Member

May 18, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    What about Canadian Soccer Championship?

Just a thought.

8. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
  9. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The OSA's PDL decision has nothing to do with the C-league. It's about strengthening the youth development potential of L1O as well as the OPDL, which many teams have been reticent to join.

The argument was that L1O was too low level to compare to PDL, but with the progress they've made in the past 2 years alone, it looks like they are coming close in the near future. It's in everyone's best interests to be in the same system if that ends up being the case.

The OSA is just pushing for it faster than the teams want to on their own. It's a bit of a chicken or the egg situation. Good move, I think.

I mean, geographically London, and K-W and TFC are ideally suited to join L1O (TFC was already being forced to anyways before this).

Thunder bay though. They are in a tough spot either way.

Right now they have to drive 7-15 hours to get to their PDL division games. L1O means 13 hours minimum(to Windsor) or 15hrs plus to the GTA.

Word is they may still get a temporary exemption. Long term seems like it's ideal if they join the prairie league.

Its still in development but when they do they plan to have a number of teams in Winnipeg, which is 7hrs from TB.

The rest of the prairies are all 10-15hrs away, so it's not much worse.

10. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    My bad, I meant to put that in the d3 thread.

11. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    I think the CSA should just bite the bullet and let Canadian teams join the NASL. They've said that they won't go ahead with the league unless they have teams in Toronto and Vancouver and nobody is stepping up to the plate. Let Hamilton, Calgary, Winnipeg, and Quebec City join NASL, stabilize that league, and if they ever manage to get the Canadian league off the ground, at least they'll have some built-in fanbases to provide revenue/buzz.

12. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I agree with you. I also think it is absolutely ridiculous to put teams in any Canadian D2 league in the MLS cities.

The CSA, however, disagrees and they are the ones making the plan.

(As an aside, the NASL also has foreign team limits imposed by the USSF which would make it impossible for very many Canadian cities to join.)

13. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    My solution to that was to coax the MLS clubs to move their USL sides to this league. Yeah I know, USL is a step below NASL and this "D2" league, but let's be realisitic.

14. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    I think that something important is being overlooked: they found a group willing to go in MTL.

If you started a league without Vancouver and Toronto and some success/progress was being made in an MTL experiment with a competing MLS club, then I'm sure the investors would jump on the opportunity in those cities.
    I do realize part of the the plan is a TV contract and that would be hard if those two cities are missing...

I just think its a positive that the holdouts are no longer all three MLS cities.

@Polygong I don't think the MLS would allow those USL B teams to goto a competing league. Not that they would compete with the MLS clubs on the same competitive level, but tv deals/sponsorship and saturation of their markets.

15. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    The thing is, TFC draws poorly on television. I don't see how a D2 team in Toronto, drawing flies at the gate, will somehow be a lucrative TV asset.

I think Polygong's idea is a good one - get representation in the MLS cities by moving the USL teams over. It also gives you three teams that will be stable regardless of attendance. That's not a small thing in a league that's likely to start with just eight teams.

16. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Kingston, the USSF limits leagues to 25% non-american clubs. For NASL, (assuming Puerto Rico counts as an american club, and the 3 new franchises start, and San Antonio doesn't fold) that would allow 2 Canadian teams to join now (probably Hamilton and Calgary for provincial rivalries) to raise NASL to 16 teams. They said they wanted to reach 20 clubs, so once they get another 3 american teams, they could add either Winnipeg or Quebec City to the mix. That would account for the minimum 7 professional clubs that the Easton Report says were the minimum critical mass to develop soccer in Canada. If the Ottawa Fury could convince MLS that they deserve a 29-32 expansion slot (very remote), then one or the other of Winnipeg or Quebec City could then join NASL.

Polygong, the MLS II teams are in a development league with reduced costs for a reason. They exist to support the main team, not compete with it. Why would they join a league that requires more travel and higher transportation costs? And I think there is some reason those teams aren't allowed to join. Not to mention if the CSA tries to force the MLS clubs to join the new league, the clubs may just chose to dissolve their 2nd clubs as unsustainable, setting Canadian soccer development back even further.

In my ideal world, a Div 2 Canadian Soccer League would have 10 clubs (mostly backed by the CFL) in two conferences playing an unbalanced 26-game season from Mid-April to Mid-October - 4 games against each in-conference opponent (with travel by bus) and 2 games against each team from the opposite conference (max 5 round-trip plane rides) to minimize travel costs. Playoffs the last two weeks in October with a play-in game between the top 2 teams in each conference followed by a home-and-home series between the winners of the play-in games. Or just run the playoffs like the CFL for familiarity.

Western Teams would be based in Edmonton (FC), Calgary, Saskatoon (the Whitecaps have a residency program there, but it could be run by the BC Lions), Regina, and Winnipeg. Eastern Teams would play in Hamilton, Toronto, Ottawa (Fury), Montreal, and Quebec City (the NASL lobby group could run this one). We'd have to leave out BC and the Maritimes because transportation costs would bring down the league just to service those outliers.

Salary Cap would be under $1 million (assuming TSN throws in a decent TV deal and crowds average ~5-6ooo per game to make all this viable). Teams could have a maximum of 8 international players on their 26-player roster, the rest would have to be Canadian. That would guarantee 30 Canadian players playing every week with reserve players training hard to win a position on the gameday 18. The Players to fill roster spots would be come from the best players in the regional Div 3 Semi-Pro leagues.

These teams would compete with the MLS clubs for the Voyageur Cup annually.

17. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    ^ Yes, this could work. So could a bunch of similar ideas that have been proposed over time. I don't think it will, however.

What is comes down to is: Which eight Canadian cities are going to consistently bring average crowds of 5000 or more for D2 soccer?

Right now, Ottawa has done it for one single season. That's it in the whole country.

So we're going to hope that seven teams can suddenly spring into being with crowds of 5000 or more so this league can exist. That seems overly optimistic to me. Especially when balanced against the evidence from the history of people actually trying lower tier soccer in Canada from the days of the CSL right up to FC Edmonton today.

18. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Just to clarify what I meant regarding USL reserve teams: they're owned by the MLS as a whole are they not?
    ^- Serious question

I don't think the decision to move them to another league would be based on just their parent club, especially if it's to a competing (or possibly competing) league. For example would TFC, Impact of Whitecaps be able to put their reserve squads in the NASL because they thought it would be better competition? <-unlikely

I don't pretend to know the exact relationship between the the MLS's single-entity structure and the owners operating reserve teams in another league but I somehow do not think it would fly as easily as some might think. From the MLS's perspective they would absolutely want to keep a reserve side in a contested market for the sole purpose to saturate the market. I really doubt they would allow the release of those teams to another league; as a single-entity league.

Like it or not, the best bet for a C-league will be through the CFL and TSN. It will mean the teams are merely an ends to supplanting the CFL owners with other tenants to fill revenue gaps for their stadiums. It will mean the quality of play will not be up to par with NASL (or maybe even USL) but at least its a start.

@Kingston you're absolutely right, soccer in general doesn't draw much TV ratings at all in Canada. Toronto and Vancouver aside I am optimistic that some form of national league with a TV deal could change that. Heck, it could change how soccer ratings draw everywhere in this nation.

Call me crazy, I think a team in the Atlantic (under CFL ownership) could bode well for the initial expansion of a C-league and the CFL at the same time. Place a team in say Moncton or Halifax get a buzz going and get a stadium built for future CFL expansion.

If a C-league based on the model of the precedent we have right now (Fury-Redblacks) cannot work in Canada then we will probably never qualify for any WC without fluke or extenuating circumstances.

Sorry

19. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    The Salary Cap and the league itself isn't going to work. No Canadian League, C-League, CSL, Home-and-Native League is going to work with a $1 million dollar salary cap and competing against MLS (in town) and European football (on TV). It just isn't.

Your points are absolutely correct when quantified with "assuming TSN and 5000-6000 fans a game". However that isn't going to happen unless they have 'free beer and sex' night, which won't get approved.

People in Winnipeg, Quebec and Hamilton are not going to come out and watch a Canadian League if they have the slightest feeling that the league is second rate, which it will be.

The early poster who eluded to the Australian structure was probably closest in a successful vision.

Lets position the MLS teams, some NASL teams, some USL and PDL teams into an overall North American pyramid and back it up with a solid amateur league system.

20. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Of course, that genius was me. ;)

It just seems to me that they're the best country to follow since they are near identical to us in many different ways, culturally, demographically, economically, politically etc. The only real significant difference is the climate. Well, that and they aren't a pack of chronic navel gazers.

Sadly we probably won't be able to have an A-league equivalent, though I have no problem with the CSA trying to get it to go. We have nothing to lose, worst case scenario we end up back where we are now, best case we have a successful domestic league, or mixed result of the league folding with a few surviving clubs moving to cross-border leagues. The only ones with something to lose are the people who invest their money in it.

Failing the C-League idea, we could at least work up to having a total of 10 fully professional clubs, spread between MLS, NASL and USL Pro. We're halfway there already, and would still have a national professional competition in the Voyageur's Cup.

At the semi-pro level and lower we could definitely support our own system, it just has to be very regional to keep travel costs bearable. That's why it makes sense to copy Australia's model at this level and let every province control their own league system, with the option to integrate with neighbouring provinces if so desired. The top level at each league would vary in quality from province to province for certain.

Ontario and Quebec now have such leagues at the semi-pro level, Alberta has long had a top flight amateur league, not sure if PCSL would count for BC.

InsigneForBalonD'or repped this.
  21. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Being in an American League costs Canadian owners a ton of money, especially for travel. But the biggest killer? The Canadian dollar. Right now, you have a club like FC Edmonton, who have been bleeding money at an insane rate since inception, paying many of their costs in American dollars, but getting revenue in Canadian dollars, which is at .75 cents U.S and projected to go down to .70. How the hell do you make that work? You can't.

That's a massive reason to have a Canadian league. To be able to throw in a few bus trips instead of flights, have expenses in Canadian dollars and potentially have t.v exposure (if the Bell rumours are true), puts this league light years ahead of being in the NASL.

Hey Tom Fath, Puerto Rico just joined the league again, have fun shelling out for your team to get there!

Polygong and InsigneForBalonD'or repped this.
  22. InsigneForBalonD'or

Jul 16, 2014
    The 6ix
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  23. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    To me, the relevant (and major) difference is that Australia doesn't border on the US. Australia therefore doesn't have the option of entering teams in a neighbouring country's league. Canada does so, for owners here, they get to choose between trying to start a Canadian league or entering a fully functional US league at whatever level of the pyramid suits them. Thus far, the owners have voted with their money for the US league.

No, the worst case scenario is that we find ourselves in 2025 back where we were in 2015 and realize we've lost another decade. That the hopelessly optimistic C-League teams we tried to start failed and squandered resources and poisoned ownership groups and fans and that now, in 2025, we've got to try to find people still willing to try to get back into the PDL or USL or NASL (whose standards will be ten years higher than they are today).

Very much yes to this. Let Canadian pro teams form at the level their city can support. Don't force teams up to levels they can't sustain or hold back teams that could be higher. Don't force anyone to compete in the same city as MLS. Tie it all together through the Voyageur's Cup. And, by all means, leverage things like CFL teams where it makes sense (Hamilton? Calgary? Pretty sure it's not Regina, though.)

And also yes to this.

InsigneForBalonD'or repped this.
  24. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    #24 Initial B, Dec 8, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
    A whole generation has passed since they last tried it in the 1990s and soccer has made more inroads into Canadian culture. I don't think failure would poison the well, but having the backing of another professional league and TV network who are willing to cover the first 10 years of losses should allow the league to get on its feet. The rivalry aspect is important just to get fans to care. I have to admit as a Fury supporter, there is an extra level of rivalry when FC Edmonton comes to town that's not there with the other NASL teams, save maybe Minnesota and the Cosmos. Maybe it could work, but if there is any time to try this, it's now.
    Cities with populations of over 500K should have no problem supporting a Div 2 team, cities with 200K might need some time to build up their fanbases. But there's a problem - the CSA seems to think that any league has to have teams in the current MLS market cities in order to survive, and that's not happening in Toronto or Vancouver. That said, there is a lot of frustration with TFC fans that might consider supporting another team, but the longer it takes and TFC starts getting their act together, the window of opportunity is closing. I'm not sure about Vancouver. Marketing is important too. TSN had better give good production values, which seems likely given their experience producing MLS games over the past couple of years. And if the CSA could convince EA to add this new league to FIFA18, that would also raise its profile.

I think the key here is for the teams to play an entertaining brand of soccer to keep fans coming back, even if it's at a lower level than MLS. It would still be ours. I think boring 4-4-2 route-one soccer is what would turn a lot of people off. For that, we need quality coaches with good tactical acumen. The only Canadian coaches I know of like that work in MLS already.

25. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Coaches wouldn't necessarily need to be Canadian. Could probably find some good coaches from Central and South America who would bring the right style of football with them.