Bundesliga and the rest: Domestic and European competition discussion

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Epitome990, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    In terms of the biggest flop for the amount spent, I would say it's Cordoba.

Other players I'd add to the overall list are Jorge Mere, Terrazino, Pollersbeck, and Kodro.

Ger90 repped this.
  2. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    those players either don't belong in Germany or are 2BL level at best.

3. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Apart from the big name signings like Thiago and James Rodriguez, there appears to be a high portion of flops from La Liga. Jorge Mere and Kodro already mentioned.

Schalke also brought in Pablo Insua who hasn't even played yet. Last season they signed Coke from Seville, but he got severely injured and no longer has a role even after returning. Can't say that Camacho at Wolfsburg has really been that convincing either.

From last season, Halilovic was a major flop. Not directly from the La Liga, but another former Barcelona dud Bojan Krkic's loan at Mainz was a waste of time as well. Cordoba's previous club was Mainz but he was signed from La Liga before that too.

Ger90 repped this.
  4. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    On the other hand, I think the best signings this season have been: Süle, Tolisso, Rudy, Philipp (pre-injury), Selke, Zakaria, Harit, Marius Wolf, Kohr, Gregoritsch, and Uduokhai.

Karl-Heinz Riedle and Ger90 repped this.
  5. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I honestly feel like all these Spaniards and Englishmen in Germany have not impressed at all. Bartra, Bernat included. The French have done better but a lot of them are decent/OK at best. I find the Bundesliga doesn't suit Spanish/Portuguese/English/majority of French.

The German neighbors excluding France, Scandinavians, Eastern Europeans tend to do better.

Epitome990 repped this.
  6. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I also like that Oczipka signing

Looking back, looks like Leon Bailey (winter signing) was a GREAT deal

This season: Gregortisch, Uduokhai, Diallo, Oczipka, Marius Wolf, Harit and Zakaria are some top transfers

In general , i dont think Tolisso exceeds my expectation. Sule and Rudy are ok.......

My best XI (before winter break)

-----------------------------Pavlenka
    ---Kimmich-----Salif Sane----Abraham-----Philipp Max
    ---Marius Wolf------Harit-----Gregoritsch-------Bailey/Coman
    -----------------------Volland---Lewandowski

Epitome990 repped this.
  7. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Almost forgot about the English players. Yes, that is true. The likes of Reece Oxford, Ryan Kent, and Kaylen Hinds have all been disappointments. Oliver Burke, the Scot is another example who never made sense for Leipzig. In contrast, at least players who joined from Chelsea in the past like De Bruyne and Christensen were much better quality.

Dug back a bit more and Timothee Kolodziejczak was another major flop who came from La Liga.

Ger90 repped this.
  8. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    The XI seems about right although the CB spots are debatable IMO. I think the Bender bros have quietly put together a solid campaign. Tah become more consistent as the season progressed. Maybe even someone like Vestergaard, Ginter, or Kehrer. As Gladbach and Schalke have improved in form defensively. Goretzka if he wasn't injured would be among there too.

9. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I hope Bayern BVB Leipzig and one of Schalke/Leverkusen makes it to the CL next season. We need the bigger teams in Europe

10. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
  11. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Schalke have really fallen, 4 draws in the last 6 games, making it easier for Hoff, Bayer, and RB to catch up or even surpass them. And they were lucky to even draw this game. Even plenty of their wins are barely wins.

in the relegation battle it seems to be between mostly between Hamburg, Bremen, Mainz, Stuttgart. If the season was over Hamburg would be relegated based on GD.

12. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Gündoğan opens the scoring for Man City over Tottenham.

13. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    The new coach effect giving Dortmund a boost, with their 2nd straight win. They move into 3rd place currently. Although RB Leipzig and Leverkusen still have games to play tomorrow.

Ger90 repped this.
  14. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    it will be a crazy fight for those Europe spots, I think Bayern are headed towards another win. So that's likely one spot down. But #2-9 are only separated by 6 pts, any one of them could take those CL spots. Also #10-11 on the table both play tomorrow and could rise up even more and add even more teams on the fight for Europe.

Epitome990 repped this.
  15. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    LOL, so much for Coke, which sounds like a drugs.
    https://schalke04.de/personal/coke-wechselt-auf-leihbasis-zu-levante-ud/

16. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Fortuna Duesseldorf back in the 2BL standings lead after winning a tough match away at Braunschweig. FCN only drew against last place Kaiserslautern. While Holstein Kiel is also unable to make up ground, and appears to be on their way to a loss versus Sandhausen. Ingolstadt have a been a rising team. However, Union Berlin continue to lose momentum and are now in 6th place.

Ger90 repped this.
  17. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Herrlich with a blunder move, keeping Volland and Bailey on the bench, I presume to rest them for the German Cup game vs Gladbach. Instead of moving to 2nd place, Bayer moves to #4 for now.

18. dips82

dips82 Member+

Oct 11, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If he had to bring in Ramalho then there was no point in subbing out Sven Bender...instead he could have bring Volland in place of useless Alario

Ger90 repped this.
  19. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    yeah Alario is not good enough to start any game, He's a better bench option that's for sure.

Bailey should have scored that Brandt pass and Havertz had a good chance to win the game too.

20. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    I think Leverkusen have been under-using Joel Pohjanpalo. He's shown to be an effective bench/rotation player for them before and after his injury last season.

Given the right place and opportunity he could be like Alfred Finnbogason who's been great for Augsburg this season.

Ger90 repped this.
  21. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Meanwhile former Hoffenheimer Roberto Firmino is on his way to having a career best season with Liverpool.

Ger90 repped this.
  22. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    RB have been soooo bad in the last few games. This is the 2nd time this season that they got owned by a 10 men team, lol.

Epitome990 repped this.
  23. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
  24. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    guess who's back. So not wrong that struggling Mainz does need new strikers.
    943511072740429825 is not a valid tweet id

25. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany