Bulgaria-Italy (Saturday: March 28, 2015) (R)

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Sal, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Some people were pissed about Marchisio getting injured and apparently made some threatening comments on the internet. Instead of handling it with the BS modus operandi of giving a yellow, red or close the thread, Conte & Tavecchio have to be drama queens about it. Now he has 24/7 security detail.

2. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Seriously this Italy was half dead. No Buffon, Pirlo, Marchisio, De Rossi, and Giovinco.

Basically the midfield is dead. Also Sirigu did not impress me at all. If Buffon was there both goals would have been saved.

3. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Hopefully the DC game was more entertaining?

4. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #129 Pietro Calcio, Mar 28, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    right...because he scored one f7cking goal he automatically proved he is worthy of the national team

the way he celebrated proves nothing either....passion the azzurri needs...really?...one goal in one game after playing 30 minutes????....If I'm basing off your argument then lets go get Balotelli back since his goals per match average ( .40 ) if one of Italy's highest both all time and especially as of all latest azzurri strikers. Balo celebrates with passion too!!!! He is what Italy needs for sure!

you say some of the dumbest sh1T here because the points you use for your arguments usually hold no water

yeah saying things like " f7ck all you haters who doubted him" usually doesn't resonate well with people

Eder scores one goal in first 30 minutes.....that's it! the jury is out ! Eder is the next José Altafini!!!

5. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Yeah, it made Bulgaria-Italia look like an '82 WC match. Perhaps I should not exaggerate that far but the number of unforced errors when it came to passing the ball was ridiculous. So too comparing goal kicks. Conte insists that we play it short from a goal kick. Play it from the back, which he did at Juve. In principle, I agree withnthe concept. But as was the case with Juve and we saw it today, the keeper gets forced to playing a risky pass. Sometime, he does need to boot it upfield. Contrast to MLS goal kicks. All 20 field players congregate in midfield, usually on the side where the keeper is taking the kick. I just shake my head at this being 21st century soccer.

Calcio Pauly and Sal repped this.
  6. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    fcuk you sal.

Sal repped this.
  7. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Suck my **** Irish ******

8. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Yup

Sal repped this.
  9. Azzurrifan87

Azzurrifan87 Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Hello - I am new here but I have been a fan since 1994. My father is form Italy and I have watched every single international since 94.

I wanted to share my thoughts on the match today. In my opinion, Barzagli, Bonucci, and Chiellini are too slow for this level. And it does not help that our tactics had our central defenders retreating when Bulgaria were dribbling centrally at our defense.

I also think our starting attack was way too static. So many times I noticed that Immobile and Zaza were standing like statues instead of trying to create space. I'm afraid I don't think Zaza has the quality for this level. I am not quite ready to give up on Immobile yet, but he wouldn't be my starter. But we need to compare to a player like Eder who proved he has the touch, vision, and finesse required for this level. Nothing was lucky about Eder's goal. I do not care where players come from. In my opinion, anyone proud to play for Italy is an Italian.

I also thought Soriano added some muscle and touch to the midfield, which was lacking with Bertolacci. In my opinion, I don't think Marchisio can contribute the strength and tactical sense required for this level. I'd much rather try and continue to develop Soriano, as well as others.

I'm ok with Darmian, but Antonelli simply cannot represent at this level anymore. His lack of confidence or ability to beat his man and penetrate was sorely on display. Also, his crossing is about as effective as trying to cross through a brick wall. Darmian is a bit more dynamic and, I think, can still be useful to develop this team.

I'd like for the national team setup to begin a search to cultivate some younger, hungrier, and more coordinated central defenders. Perhaps we can start by monitoring Empoli and perhaps trying out Tonelli-Rugani. I would also like to re-assess Acerbi. He certianly has the character and inner strength required for this level. It's a shame Ogbonna's career has never taken off. He truly could have been one of our more athletic defenders. I'm a bit confused to see Astori out of the fold - I thought he truly shined in the Norway match last year.

I don't associate myself with a single club team, so I hope to contribute healthy discussion to this forum. I am always a fan, and only am interested in the forward progress of the team. I simply want the team to represent themselves well, no matter who is on the field.

Parcae repped this.
  10. Anthony212

Anthony212 Member

Aug 8, 2010
    New York
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Anyone else think Conte needs to stop his obsession with the 3-5-2 formation?

Parcae repped this.
  11. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #136 Pietro Calcio, Mar 29, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    first game ever...first goal...played only 30 minutes.....yet you can see he has the touch, vision and finesse required for this level? that's quite some insight!....you have a crystal ball too?

Hey I have an idea....lets wait a bit to decide what Eder is made of....ya know... besides his first 30 minutes?

anyone proud to play for Italy is an Italian ?...well, that's definitely not true ....and if you are Italian you should care where they come from and what connection they have to Italy

those 2 perspectives actually contradict each other....you don't associate yourself with a single club team and you are only invested in the national team yet you don't care as to who actually represents the national team? I mean with that philosophy about the national team you might as well follow a club football team and club competition instead......ya know it's called national football for a reason...if it doesn't matter who is on the field then what's the point anymore of national football really? .......you sure you're Italian?

where do these people come from?

Deleted User x repped this.
  12. Azzurrifan87

Azzurrifan87 Member

Mar 29, 2015
    I think it bothers you that a Brazilian player scored such a beautiful goal for Italy at the International level. Many times in that game, Zaza was one on one with his back to a defender, but his lack of touch meant he could not create the space for himself to shoot on goal, or even distribute wide. No one is suggesting Eder is the next Baggio, but he warrants time to develop with this team. He has qualities required for the international level. And his play for Sampdoria meshes well with the time he was given in the game.

I said in my opinion, if you qualify legally and want to play for Italy, I consider that player an Italian. You stated this is not true, as a fact. What fact do you possess that makes my opinion a false statement? Does Eder not live in work in Italy legally to become a citizen? Does he not speak Italian? Is he an illegal citizen?

I think you are trying to use my words to force a motive. I never said I do not care who represents the national team. if I did not care, I would have never have shared my opinions of certain players. My intention was just to share that I do not have any club bias in my opinions. For example, some Italian fans I personally know think if players play for Juventus, they should automatically represent Italy. I just find that a bit silly and very shortsighted.

I'm more than certain I'm Italian. B/c of whatever reason that makes you angry, I think you need to calm down a bit. This could be a classic case of someone just trying to jump all over a new member, but I certainly don't see the the point of some of your comments.

Parcae and Rosay repped this.
  13. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #138 Pietro Calcio, Mar 29, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    definitely not true...at all...relief would be the emotion that best describes how I felt when he scored

right you didn't suggest he was the next baggio but you said

"But we need to compare to a player like Eder who proved he has the touch, vision, and finesse required for this level. Nothing was lucky about Eder's goal.."

that's quite a statement about Eder after only playing his first 30 minutes for the Azzurri and International Football....30 minutes is nothing to judge if he is ready for this level

NO you didn't say that originally....you said

"I do not care where players come from. In my opinion, anyone proud to play for Italy is an Italian."

"I simply want the team to represent themselves well, no matter who is on the field."

THAT IS ALL YOU SAID....And that represents a very different attitude/perspective in contrast to what you are saying now. Perhaps if you said everything you are saying now I wouldn't think you don't care at all as to who plays for Italy.

No ...I am not...but perhaps you should chose your words more carefully next time. Go back and read exactly what you said and exactly what you left out and you can see that your post can easily be misconstrued

I am not angry and am more than calm

Nope...not the case at all....again perhaps you should chose your words more carefully and think to include everything you mean to

yeah...well go re read your first post and perhaps you might see the point of them

14. Azzurrifan87

Azzurrifan87 Member

Mar 29, 2015
    It is a bold statement. But that was a bold, move by Conte, and it worked out. Relief is the emotion I felt too. But I also saw a much better tactical effort in the final 1/3 of the match. I noticed that Eder was much more comfortable on the ball, which is very important for the international scene. The occasion didn't cause him to play tense, which I've noticed can happen to players in past games. I am hopeful this can be the case going forward. I maintain he has a certain grace about his game that can fit the international scene well. I will hope that he is consistent. It is possible he will not produce one game and never see the light of day again.

I guess I should have originally said "In my opinion, anyone (legally) proud enough to play for Italy is an Italian." When I say the I want the team to represent themselves well, often times I disagree with the selection of certain players, but I never want the team to be embarrassed. So for example, even though I find Barzagli and Chiellini hard to watch particularly due to their lack of pace and seemingly bad anticipation/coordination, I don't become a bandwagon fan and only root for players I like or ignore the team.

I apologize for suggesting you are angry, and I will do my best to get my thoughts entirely out how I want them to be intended.

Pietro Calcio repped this.
  15. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah seriously. I mean 3-5-2 is not a bad formation, but we need to try others. How about 4-2-3-1?

---------------------------Buffon---------------------------
    ---Darmian----Barzagli-----------Bonucci----Chiellini---
    ------------De Rossi--------------------Pirlo---------------
    -------Candreva--------Marchisio---------Verratti--------
    --------------------------Giovinco--------------------------

16. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I wish! We are leaving Torino today and driving to Genoa for a night then flying home Monday afternoon :( my Italy trip is almost over! I wish the scheduling was different but I did tour the Juventus Stadium yesterday. And my my am I envious! It makes the San Siro look like the "Old lady"

17. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    First off, Azzurrifan87, welcome to the board! Great to have you.

Many of us on this board, if we were skilled enough to play for Italy, would be oriundi. Giuseppe Rossi is an oriundo. He was born in the US and has Italian blood. He was never questioned for the most part. Is it the amount of Italian blood you have? How much is enough...50, 75, 100%? Eder has an Italian grandfather. Under Italian law, he has IMMEDIATE rights to be an Italian citizen at birth. Someone without Italian blood, like Balotelli, must wait til 18 years of age. Italy is a jurisdiction that determines citizenship by bloodline...not place of birth.

If you guys have a problem with Oriundi, then you should take it up with the Italian Constitution.

Parcae, Rosay and Sal repped this.
  18. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Bonucci, Chiellini, and Barzagli are good enough to win high level games when they have the Juve midfield in front of them. They were stellar versus Dortmund for example. But, they do lack pace...and when there is space between the defense and the midfield they can be exposes, as they were yesterday.

There is no doubt that Rugani and Romagnoli have to be accelerated to the National Team. They have the pace and anticipation to be able to make up for some mistakes and holes in front of them. That said, our midfield was lacking in both the Croatia game and again today. Candreva was out of position. Bertolacci actually played well but he doesn't provide the support that Verratti needs to be able to operate more freely. Antonelli was generally bad and Darmian was quite good. What the midfield was missing is some grit. It was missing Gattuso type...and we have missed that for a long time. Marchisio tries to play that role, but only does it partially. I actually am really hoping that Sturaro develops at Juve. He is exactly the type of player that I think would partner well with Verratti.

Up top, I actually have a lot more faith in Zaza and Immobile than most. My problem is that I don't think they are at their best playing together. They play too closely to each other at times and we are missing a seconda punta with dribbling skills and speed. That is why I was really praying SES would get on a roll. At this point, I think we have to look at playing Gabbiadini with one of the two. He's much more mobile and he is a player that never gives the defense a static point of reference. If Eder keeps playing well, he may be worth of a look up top in the future.

Parcae, Rosay and Sal repped this.
  19. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Bonucci, Chiellini, and Barzagli are good enough to win high level games when they have the Juve midfield in front of them. They were stellar versus Dortmund for example. But, they do lack pace...and when there is space between the defense and the midfield they can be exposes, as they were yesterday.

There is no doubt that Rugani and Romagnoli have to be accelerated to the National Team. They have the pace and anticipation to be able to make up for some mistakes and holes in front of them. That said, our midfield was lacking in both the Croatia game and again today. Candreva was out of position. Bertolacci actually played well but he doesn't provide the support that Verratti needs to be able to operate more freely. Antonelli was generally bad and Darmian was quite good. What the midfield was missing is some grit. It was missing Gattuso type...and we have missed that for a long time. Marchisio tries to play that role, but only does it partially. I actually am really hoping that Sturaro develops at Juve. He is exactly the type of player that I think would partner well with Verratti.

Up top, I actually have a lot more faith in Zaza and Immobile than most. My problem is that I don't think they are at their best playing together. They play too closely to each other at times and we are missing a seconda punta with dribbling skills and speed. That is why I was really praying SES would get on a roll. At this point, I think we have to look at playing Gabbiadini with one of the two. He's much more mobile and he is a player that never gives the defense a static point of reference. If Eder keeps playing well, he may be worth of a look up top in the future.

Sal repped this.
  20. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC

Sal repped this.
  21. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC

Sal repped this.
  22. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC

Sal repped this.
  23. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Why repeats, I guess it was an accident. Anyway half our midfield wasn't playing. Pirlo, De Rossi, and Marchisio. All out due to injuries. Which in my opinion Pirlo and De Rossi are out best players. If Buffon was there I think he would have saved both goals, at least one. Did you see them. Sirigu was really off target.

24. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Rosay repped this.
  25. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Does anyone still have hopes that we can top the group? If we have our best team when we play against Croatia and fight hard, I think we will beat them. But we must have Pirlo at least. De Rossi is important as well. We can also beat them if Croatia have injury problems than as well. Also they will be minus Corluka (one of their best defenders) which I thought would help as at first. But after seeing the performances of our strikers against Bulgaria, I'm not sure if that will make much of a difference. For now I am predicting Croatia to top the group. If we beat Croatia I am pretty sure we are safe though. After the Croatia game, we have finished our biggest challenges. All we have after that is Norway and Bulgaria at home which should be easy, and Malta and Azerbaijan which we will beat of course.