Building out of the Back with Possession (Repost)

Discussion in 'Coach' started by Kai Werring, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Kai Werring

Kai Werring New Member

Jul 8, 2016
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    Here is a video I made about building out of the back, and some simple quality drills to assist your team to do so. These drills are crucial in developing confidence and structure in building out of the back. Please comment/subscribe and let me know your thoughts overall.
    Click here:

2. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    Ken, I am probably the wrong person to comment.

I don't like the format. I find it confusing. Maybe because I am used to old school diagrams and plans. It seems to me that the software doesn't let you satisfactorily represent what the players should be doing.

I don't like the tactics. I would be much more aggressive in breaking lines in order to quickly occupy the middle third to be well positioned against a counter. I would expect to break the forward line with 1-3 passes and then be looking for free attackers between the lines. Possession in the defensive third is simply too risky to prolong more than necessary.

Other than #10, I don't like the drills. They are about breaking lines but lack the cues for it. Generally the wide players including the fullbacks are not included in the drills. The way they are laid out reminds me of teams playing WM with man marking instead of zone defenses (especially #9). It looks like a bunch of 1v1 matchups. If this is meant to be functional training for a Spanish style pivot, I think there should be some choices for the DM to make breakout passes. I also don't like the idea of "scoring" by dribbling through gates. My dislike is situational. I like dribbling through gates for entering the final third--I think it is match-like, but not for entering the middle third. I want passing at that point because dribbling is too slow tactically and thus easier to close down. If the point of the drill was to beat someone 1v1 in the defensive third, then okay dribble through a gate. Here, however, I think the objective is to play out of the back with passes. Replace the gates with target players and problem is solved.

I just don't see what the players get out of these drills that they couldn't get from doing Barca style rondos and positional play exercises followed by a full side scrimmage (or shadow play exercise).

From the table of contents I see that breaking lines is chapter 4. I would probably start teaching with Chapter 4 first. Penetration is the point of possession in the defensive and middle thirds. (Finishing is the point of play in the final third.)

3. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I didn't have time to watch most of it but Found your YouTube channel and just watched your final ball segment. Very similar to what I run.

I don't have my audio on, but maybe you can include coaching points and the breakdowns you would look for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk