Buddle arrested for OVI

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by futballpunk, Jul 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gyros and used music?

2. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Yes, because we all know that getting busted for OVI is an indication of needing to attend AA. :rolleyes:

Come on people, get a grip -- he made a stupid decision by getting in his car after he had been drinking -- I know at least 3 friends of mine who were stupid enough to do the same thing in college and get busted, and they sure as hell didn't need to attend AA. They just made a really stupid decision to drive drunk, same with Edson.

He'll pay the price with a hefty fine and possible suspension of his license from the Franklin County Court plus whatever the league/team decides to do in addition.

3. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't agree more that incidents like this tend to get blown up into lurid tales of substance addiction rather than a guy who did something dumb because - well - that's what young guys do.

In Edson's case, the entireity of the public record strongly indicates a lack of maturity. That's what is of concern here, IMO. He's not 18 any more.

4. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, someone on thecrew.com forums posted the Franklin County link in mid-season. I remember it because MK literally disappeared but still made the glossy team picture given out at the end of the year. I think bigsoccer was still soccerboards.com at that time, not sure.

The likelyhood the media runs a story probably depends on how slow their week is going. We can assume most sports folks in town rank the Crew behind the Buckeyes, NFL, the Buckeyes, MLB, the Buckeyes, NASCAR, the Buckeyes, NHL, the Buckeyes, the Buckeyes, and then the Buckeyes and if given the chance to cover something like what a Buckeye football player had for breakfast or a Crew player busted for OVI they would probably ask "was it just Wheaties again?" before deciding.

Still, there is a controversy afoot - something local media really drools over. I bet it gets mentioned somewhere.

5. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At which point the issue becomes will anyone actually read it.

Your post reminds me of what an old sportswriter said years ago about Cincinnati being a baseball town, regardless of what the Bengals might do. He wrote that if the Bengals won the Superbowl on the same day that the Reds signed a utility infielder, that the Bengals would have to settle for page two.

6. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if the local media doesn't pick it up I bet it gets an honorable mention on ESPN2 Soccer Saturday. In which case MLS and the Crew are going to have to deal with this head on. Either way he should be fined and suspended, and like Sandon said, we market to families and parents typically don't want their kids' role models being drunk drivers and drug addicts.

7. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way. Again - Matt Kmosko. Buddle is a better player than Kmosko was, but he's not Landycakes caliber. Smart money says this probably stays pretty quiet.

Anybody going to the arraignment at 10AM today?

8. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Drugs now being brought in to this? Good lord, pretty soon Edson will have been driving drunk, smoking a doobie, waving a firearm around while running around in womens underwear in the middle of the street.

9. ripman88

ripman88 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Co lum bus
    Hey, atleast he'd be running for a change.

10. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    How did you leave road head out of this scenario?

11. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This is a great way to start out a Monday.

Hey, Edson. In case you didn't notice, the team has been playing their best ball of the season WITHOUT you. And there is a tournamnent game Wed? And Bob, isn't gonna give you a free pass onto the field to lollygag for 85 minutes just because your name is Edson Buddle.

This isn't exactly the way to get back into the team. Get yer sh!t together.

12. 9 Rush

9 Rush Member

Sep 9, 2004
    C'bus
    Is Buddle the most arrested man in the country, or what?

13. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we should trade him to LA so he'll fit right in?

14. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    If you look through them it's mainly traffic tickets. Speeding.

Not really that big of a crime in the grand scheme of "getting arrested" would entail.

15. ACGreen

ACGreen Member

May 12, 2004
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what EB is gonna do.

Unlawful use of the horn AND blowing a 1.0. To top it all off, Jonny Cochran is taking a dirt nap in Edson's moment of need.

I've never seen so many BSers so high on their horses. This is Soccer for fooks sake! Ridiculing a tippler is like baseball fans looking down on cheating on your wife. Just wait until we actually have a high-profile league and the stars start snorting coke off strippers' t!ts. What will we do then?

16. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    SLC to do penance.

17. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Join them?

Hey Bud, we're just having some fun of a Monday morning. If a humorless ass clown like you doesn't get it, it sure isn't our fault.

Piss off.

18. Nonesuch

Nonesuch Member

May 16, 1999
    Old Gridania
    Ask for pix.

19. ACGreen

ACGreen Member

May 12, 2004
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Easy, Tiger.

Pretty cranky for just having fun on Monday morning. Don't let me get in the way of your piling-on.

I will strive to rival your jovial nature and inject some humor into my ass clowning.

Carry on!

20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Nothing in the Dispatch today - at least on line - so it's starting to look like Foosinho might be right and this won't get covered.

If CBC doesn't right about this incident, it will certainly go along way towards justifying the fans comments that he's just a mouthpiece for team management and afriad to piss them off.

21. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There should be a requirement that you have to read the Crew Forum every day for 30 days before being granted posting priveleges. If you don't get it you just end up sounding like a moralizing jerk.

RE: Edson, on reflection, maybe a lot of pubicity would be a GOOD thing. "We've got miscreants too, just like the BIG sorts" might be a great sales pitch.

I wonder if EB would consider getting some thug tats. Maybe even a face one like Tyson.

22. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he hasn't had time to log on to BS yet today.

23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Worked for Quaranta. That guy has more ink than a skinhead at Pelican Bay and he just got called into the national team!

24. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Edson's street name is classic.

I think we're all taking down the Franklin County Courthouse website right now, by the way.

25. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You took my post out of context, I said nothing about Edson being best friends with DCs resident crackhead former mayor Marion Berry.