Buckle Gone!

Discussion in 'Sacramento Republic FC' started by London2Cali, Feb 1, 2018.

1. London2Cali

London2Cali New Member

Jan 31, 2018
    So, just seen the news Buckle has departed the club by "mutual consent".

I was surprised Graham Smith left the club since he was the driving force behind signings and transfers. I don't know what went on with Smith, but maybe he had a slight conflict of interest with his son going to coach Fresno, and it's not surprising Barrera followed Adam Smith to Fresno considering Graham was the one who took him from the Ventura Fusion to Sac.

Little odd to lose both Smith and now Buckle on the first day of training camp. New GM may be has other ideas who knows!

2. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Bad optics to be sure. After the MLS ********up, SRFC desperately needs a good season on the field. Having the coach leave ("by mutual consent" is corporate speak for "ragequit") on the opening day of training camp just plain sucks.

This organization has a bit of a funk to it right now, and that funk comes from the top.

#NagleOut

QuietType repped this.
  3. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow.

Based on previous social media posts, it appears likely that Dunivant has been on board for a while. Therefore, it's possible that Buckle has been gone for a while, too. I wonder if the new coach has already been in place. OTH, that's some awfully good secret-keeping, if true.

BTW, Graham Smith's departure was announced several weeks ago.

4. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Announcement of new coaching staff is imminent...

5. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

6. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the hell! Barely poured myself a cup of coffee this morning, what the hell is going on?? There had to have been some issues behind the scenes, either money or something else, this late, and the announcement of new GM yesterday.

This is so weird.. I hated Elliot when he was on the Quakes because he was always backpass.. backpass... backpass...

I hope his coaching strategy is a little less conservative.. Please God what is going on with this Republic organization?

7. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now I'll contradict my post above. Simon's hiring does smack of, "oh, sh!t, who can we get on such short notice?"

8. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    make sense - new GM & he wants his guy - I will be sad to see Buckle go - now Sac-town won't get the love with Rebecca Lowe's Hubbies as the Gaffer - no more Men In Blazer mentions - we will slide back down to mediocrity :p

9. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It might be Dunivant's strategy, not Simon's.

"In his role with Republic FC, Dunivant will lead the establishment and maintenance of the club’s playing philosophy and culture, overseeing its implementation across all levels of the club’s Football Operations..."

http://www.sacrepublicfc.com/news_article/show/882405?referrer_id=2875415

10. Preki the cat

Preki the cat New Member

sac rep
    North Korea
    Jul 19, 2017
    ********ing Ziegler assistant? Wtf?

Just as well there's no relegation

11. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must say, I'm quite surprised how little discussion there's been on this thread. Does everyone have expansion fatigue?

12. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    I think it's more Nagle fatigue. Damn near everything has turned crap-side-up since he took over.

13. London2Cali

London2Cali New Member

Jan 31, 2018
    I have to admit, and I know this is Buckle's/New Coach thread, but why did Graham Smith leave? I know I mentioned above a possible conflict of interest with his son going to Fresno and maybe he wanted to work with/alongside (unofficially) his son but was there any noise about why he left? Can't help but think that one change is a dramatic change in terms of the way the team is going to be run.

14. jeffdude64

jeffdude64 New Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Sacramento
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, there may be Nagle fatigue now, but I'm very pleased with these moves. I'm glad we have a regular GM, and a guy that made good moves with the SF NASL team. And I'm glad we have a new coach, and someone that did well with the academy, and has a long MLS track record. I'm also pleased with some of the new signings, and getting Iwasa back.

And I'm glad Buckle is out. His substitution patterns were scattered at best, laughable at worse. And tactics were way, way too much kick and chase, or long ball down the corner followed by desperate crosses. Plus there was poor link up midfield play, and poor possession play. And to go along with this, there were too many mental lapses in defense. The overall record was pretty decent, but the quality of play was just unwatchable at times. There were times when they looked like a bad high school team.

And as for Nagle possibly screwing up the MLS bid, could be, but I'm not convinced (yet) it's all on him. Whitman was wishy-washy throughout, and MLS seemed to be continually moving the goalposts. And we're not out of it yet. The investment group could very well strengthen to MLS' requirements.

15. Preki the cat

Preki the cat New Member

sac rep
    North Korea
    Jul 19, 2017
    You'd think we played like Brazil under preki.

Seriously - you take two schoolboy coaches and put them in charge of a professional team at a minutes notice - what kind of nonsense is that?

But it will put my hand up if they succeed.

Oh and g smith being fIred was always on the cards - if what I hear is correct then w smith and the rest of the exec board just had enough - nothing to do with a smith and fresno but you can guess Ventura fusion have ended their relationship with sac - oh no more glamor friendlies - they were crap anyway

16. fortunesfool223

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Dec 26, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinda figured something wss up. Buckle used a local coffee shop as an office for the last few months. Saw him meet (one on one) with several players there too.

Haven't seen him there since the new GM announcement.