BSMX's Official Mexican National Team Random Thoughts Thread vol. II

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by DGreat, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund

2. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund

Hecho en Chivas, sidspaceman and LGRod repped this.
  3. LGRod

LGRod Member+

Mexico
    Aug 14, 2010
    Listenin to Los Bookies
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    You don't want none of this @sidspaceman. Mexico wins both.

4. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    TrDm1n3r and LGRod repped this.
  5. LGRod

LGRod Member+

Mexico
    Aug 14, 2010
    Listenin to Los Bookies
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  6. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    All good options.

Kaney and LGRod repped this.
  7. Alopez

Alopez Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Birmingham
    I hope this doesn't become another Germany/Italy and we end up with Bolivia and Ecuador.

8. Alopez

Alopez Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Birmingham
    One could argue that Vela will be in mid season form while the other three are coming off the back end of a long season.

Also, no Ochoa?!

9. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund

10. Serg33

Serg33 Member+

Jul 11, 2007
    Can we shut up about Vela with the NT forever?

11. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
    Really doe. His on again off again attitude toward the NT should be a disqualifier. I gelt like this about Cuahtemoc also during the Confederations Cup drama. It's a distraction, get over it.

Miguel Myers and Hecho en Chivas repped this.
  12. NCCFBALL

NCCFBALL Member+

Apr 19, 2007
    ITALY
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I agree, but for Olympics I'd be all for Vela going. Considering it's going to be difficult to get our top Euro guys free from their clubs, i'd rather have Vela compared to a Liga MXer overage player

Kaney repped this.
  13. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    If there is one thing Vela has been in regards to his stance with the NT, is consistent.

He said he would not return in the near future after his suspension in 2011 and he followed through.

When Herrera brought him back he said he would return for the cycle and he followed through.

When Martino went to speak to him a year ago, he said he didn't want to be on the NT at the moment, and he followed through.

The only discrepancy comes when fans and media speculate and obfuscate the matter.

14. Genos

Genos Member

Jun 26, 2017
    I'm all about for the GOAT Vela to play for the NT again

Alopez, Kaney and thedragonrik58 repped this.
  15. Miguel Myers

Miguel Myers Member+

Dec 3, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    #9165 Miguel Myers, Feb 17, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    I’m going to have to respectfully disagree on this matter.

he was the best Mexican abroad next to Chicharito in 2014 and he declined. That was the best Mexican effort at a World Cup since 86, even better than the rose-colored glasses memory of 98, and had he been there, it could’ve been significantly better.

I’m all for skipping his presence at 2020 Tokyo just like he picked and chose when to accept a call. At 31 and in MLS, it's not like he will be the best talent at that tournament, most likely not even the Mexican roster.

And the whole “I didn’t want to take someone’s spot” is total BS. Mexico nearly didn’t make 2014 and then Herrera took a domestic side to play NZ and most of them didn’t make the final roster. Once Piojo took over, it was square 1.

also IIRC he played in 2011 even after the suspension. It was the copa America that was declined and it was blamed on arsenal ...

Im not going to pat him on the back because he wasn't in the mood. And if he is so adamant against the FMF, then he should've never returned. I'm sorry but without an actual explanation that actually makes sense, the fans can only go on what they see - and this is coming from someone who thinks our fanbase is getting worse at holding decent memory.

the funny thing is...he's so LAFC-oriented that I don't even see him taking several weeks off to help the national team...especially since he had such a vendetta against them.

16. hausen

hausen Member+

Jun 18, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Not sure if everyone has lost interest in the national team..... or if the amount of news available is very limited. Feel like I haven't watched a game in ages.

Piedraias repped this.
  17. Athazagoraphobia

Jul 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I mean, we seem to be in a bit of a down cycle. Might explain the lesser interest in the NT.

Cheech, Vela, Fabian, Moreno, Ochoa, Gio, Jona, Gudiño and Layun recently came back off the top of my head (probs Araujo too if Celta gets relegated). Lainez, Alvarez and Gutierrez are having trouble acclimating (Guti doesn't even look like he wants to be out there when they play him).

Hirving and Herrera are playing a lot less too.

18. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
    Sports become less important as we age. The forum is aging. But everyone gets excited when a tournament rolls around. Hope springs eternal even though the past has taught us to temper our expectations. Also in the past we had the shock moves of Salcido, Chicharito, along with an established superstar defender at Barcelona. None of that is happening atm.

megadeath, DGreat and Hecho en Chivas repped this.
  19. angelsfan

angelsfan Member+

Jun 4, 2008
    So Cal
    We basically only have two players in top form. Corona and Jimenez. It’s been a rough year

20. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    This

As time has passed I’ve lost more and more interest in the teams I follow

Don’t get me wrong, I still love my clubs and the NT but I don’t follow them as much as before. I remember before I would skip out on events and make plans around game schedules so that way I don’t miss games

My dad was right lol

Neymadres and Sanchito repped this.
  21. TheDude47

TheDude47 Member+

Jun 17, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Age has something to do with it but if you want to make it a priority then you find time, for me it’s because everyone is coming back to Mexico or the States OR they are not playing. I basically watch only Wolves and Porto games right now.

Hecho en Chivas and Saldgotti1991 repped this.
  22. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Herrera but he's injured right now. However it's ok, I'd much rather we have players start picking up steam 6 months - a year prior to the world cup. Many times we've seen the team peak early or be in form at clubs a two years prior to the world cup only to be set up for disappointment.

Hecho en Chivas repped this.
  23. LaMascara

LaMascara Member+

Apr 11, 2013
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    looking forward to the Olympic qualifiers in late March.

Serg33 and LGRod repped this.
  24. megadeath

megadeath Member+

Oct 10, 2009
    Watching sports in general is a wast of time if you really think about it. You are watching others perform, compete, achieve, we are just spectators. I used to follow the NFL (did not even watch a single minute of this years super bowl), now I could care less, I even turn down free tickets when i get offers. Just not interested. Watching my kids grow is more then enough interesting for me. LOL.

25. NCCFBALL

NCCFBALL Member+

Apr 19, 2007
    ITALY
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Agree that spending time with our kids and such should take priority. However, sports is no different than any other form of entertainment. Watching a movie, a show, broadway show, concert, etc etc. So you are saying everything is a waste of time, which for me sounds ignorant. Experiences are not a waste of time, or else why are we even alive and working. We need to enjoy ourselves and the experiences. If sports isn't your thing, then no issues there, but to call it a waste of time is ignorant.