Alert: BS Best Defensive Midfielder of the Year 2010

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by Perú FC, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Please select the 3 best defensive midfielders of the year 2010 in your opinion.

2. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Where is Schweinsteiger? Others? Seriously?

3. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    He's not in the cathegory of defensive midfielders.

4. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    But he played there the whole year.

5. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Not really. He played the whole year in the first line of midfielders but not as defensive midfielder, role played by his teammates Mark van Bommel and Sami Khedira. He's playing as a deep-lying playmaker.

6. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No, he isn't. It's true both of his partners were changing position with him and both also had runs into the box. On paper it was clearly a double 6 behind Özil for Germany and behind Müller/Ribery for Bayern.

7. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    I'm not sure what the meaning of "double 6" but Schweinsteiger's position, despite working with the defensive system, doesn't have as priority the defense if not the organization in terms of attack from a deeper position on paper, as for example played Hernanes in Sao Paulo this year.

8. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Last year it was exactly his priority to strength the defense and if the team possesses the ball to go forward or to back up the other defensive midfielder.

9. willy_svw

willy_svw Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bremen, Germany
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I have to agree with Dage on this one. He definitely belongs into this poll rather than to the offensive midfielders, which he simply was not.

10. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    I can't find how to agree mate, definitely I don't believe that this year (I'm not sure if you're referring as "last year" to the last European season or 2009). During 2010 I'm pretty sure he was a connection to the attack as priority and not at the defense despite his great contribution there.

The solution that comes to my mind is you could vote him as "Other" and I counted him in the final count knowing who is by your comment. The same with whoever you believe isn't in the polls or should be in the cathegory.

11. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    I probably would say Schweinstieger is a deep lying playmaker, but the offensive mid list is so stacked, I will nominate him as an other for this category.

12. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I would definitely include Schweinsteiger in this category. He's be my top pick followed by Cambiasso and Busquets.

13. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Agreed!

14. 007FcBarcelona

Dec 9, 2010
    Club:
    Reading FC
    WE WANT SCHWEINSTEIGER!

All the other are worse - beside Busquets.

[​IMG]

15. Figo_7

Figo_7 Member

Feb 7, 2007
    I don't see how Schweinsteiger is considered a defensive mid, he is more of a box to box mid who equally helps both defense and offense but you would never have him alone as a defensive mid or else a good opponent would dominate which is why he partners Khedira and Van Bommel. I don't know why Alonso is here either as he is the same case, even less defensive than Schweinsteiger, more of a deep lying play maker which is why he always partners Senna/Busquets and Lass/Khedira.

16. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    The final results counting only votes of registered users:

1. BUSQUETS, Sergio (Spain & Barcelona) - 17
    2. CAMBIASSO, Esteban (Argentina & Inter Milan) - 17
    3. VAN BOMMEL, Mark (Netherlands & Bayern Münich) - 11
    4. KHEDIRA, Sami (Germany & Stuttgart, Real Madrid) - 6
    5. XABI ALONSO (Spain & Real Madrid) - 6