Bruce working to expedite Freddy's citizenship

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by dcc134, Aug 4, 2002.

1. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, I reiterate, I was not trying to attack you or FA, and I certainly was not claiming FA was a "fraud". I simply was repeating something said directly to me by someone who claims to be FA's teammate. I did not make a "very serious charge". I simply repeated what was said. And, for the record, as an attorney, I am well aware of what hearsay (not "heresay") is. My original post was indeed hearsay (not "alleged" hearsay). But why does it matter that a post contains hearsay. This is Big Soccer, not the Supreme Court.

Please, please, lighten up. I meant no offense by my original post.

2. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I dont see what the big deal is about where Freddie PLays his soccer. I think the natural progression is for him:
    1. to turn pro for MLS around 15-16 with 2 year contract,
    2. Play for DC United (close to home), learn the ropes of being a pro, get acclaimated to the pro game...
    3. get a drivers license....
    4. Once contract is up let the european offers come rolling in if the demand is there...

I think that if he is really THAT GOOD, he will end up playing starting lienup top-flight european soccer when he is still in his late teens.... If not, U.S is not doomed, there will be many others..

3. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    but there are some VERY RICH people involved in MLS and the USSF. In case you haven't been paying attention, in the U.S., money tends to open doors. Wait, that's everywhere.

4. ripmstr

ripmstr New Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Orlando Fl
    I met Freddy when the U-17 team came to Orlando to play a game against Jacksonville Univ. Unfortunately he was hurt and didn't play but I did get a chance to talk to him.

He was a very gracious and mature kid. He by no means was as big or developed physically as the rest of his teammates.

He took the time to talk with the kids and seemed very comfortable speaking to adults. Regardless of his age 16 or 15 or 14 or 13 I wish him nothing but the best.

He may be a savior someday but right now he is a kid. Cut him some slack - he plays a game he loves better that 100% of the people in his age group and 90% better that anybody else in this country. Let him have fun before we heap the pressure of winning a World Cup upon him.

5. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Really GNK?

What's this teammate's name?
    What team is this?
    Where did he say it?
    When did he say it?
    How did it happen that you were there for him to say it to?
    Why did he say it to you?
    How did the topic come up?
    How did the alleged teammate come across this information?

6. listentobobmarley

Jan 5, 2001
    He will be fine.
    He should turn pro.
    He should receive proper training.
    He should receive a Citzenship.

No worrrys. If he "cracks" No big deal. There are other taleted players that we have.

7. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    put with with bobby, santino, justin mapp and they'd have a good high school team. i mean in age not, you know, in ability.

8. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah, people are just buying citizenship. That's why it took Mastroeni and Cunningham to the front of the line. :rolleyes:

Pu-leeze. USSF can't promote its own product correctly oftentimes, you think they'll pull this off?

9. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    pu-leeze? Are you a teenage girl?

Nowhere did I say that all citizenships are bought. I just said that money is a very influential factor and there is some of that involved in US Soccer.

Promoting a product has to do with things such as marketing, knowing your product, experience, etc... which has NOTHING to do with one rich guy calling in a favor from another.

10. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you really want to know, send me an e-mail and I'll answer your interrogation.

11. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That term was used only to try and get to your level because anyone who thinks citizenships are bought and sold on one's athletic ability quite simply isn't playing with a full deck.

A silly suggestion begets a silly answer.

12. BallStateMiddie

BallStateMiddie New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Nashvegas
    Why does everybody keep saying that we're pinning an entire nations footballing future on this guy? Just because we're excited about a young, outstanding prospect doesn't mean that if he doesn't pan out we're throwing in the proverbial towel. He's a piece of the pie, that's all.

13. drnlm

drnlm New Member

Jun 23, 2002
    135 lbs and 5ft 7 isnt that uncommon
    Some of my brother's classmates (he's thirteen in 2 months) are actually really tall. One of his friends is nearly 180cm tall and he weighs 180 lbs. Another is 190 cm tall, although that one is 14 yrs old.
    So it isn't really that unusual for a 12 year old kid to be that heavy.

14. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    will you pay attention, and stop putting words into my posts! NOWHERE did I say citizenships are bought and sold.

Money influences things, and there are people in high places who would like to see this guy get citizenship. It's NOT going to hurt, and it is far from a silly suggestion.

I don't know what I have to do to get on your level. Maybe you could try reading my posts.

15. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Everyone doesn't keep saying that.
    I did a bit ago, but I admit to using slight hyperbole when stating such a thing.
    I realise it maybe taken literally by some.
    All i meant when saying that, was that there seemed to be a distinct amount of pressure on him to succeed or at least provide success for the future national team.
    People don't agree that that is the case, so fine.
    A lot of people have read between lines that weren't even written.

16. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    Why do you hate the U.S. team so much? ;)

17. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    everyone all over the world once a young kid from their country to be the next Maradona, Pele, Ronaldo. Nothing wrong with that!

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should look at the link earlier in this thread to a weight/height graph. If Freddy was, in fact, 135 lbs at age 12, that makes him among the heaviest kids in his age group. And common sense tells you that many of the kids bigger are going to be fatties. And common sense is going to tell you a soccer player is going to be slim.

19. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been, to the detriment of my intelligence. You don't say they are "bought and sold" but phrases like "money opens doors" and crap like that sure show a huge inferrence to people involved with soccer being able to buy Freddy's Mom her papers (because if you didn't know, it's about his Mom, not him.)

And if these great powers of influence will get Freddy to the promised land, why the hell hasn't it worked before? Huh? Why hasn't Soccer House - which can't even organize its own events properly - taken advantage of this powerful tool before?

"High places?" Like who? Anschutz, who has been loathe to use his friendship with Bush before? MLS which still can't get a decent TV rights deal? USSF, which is facing multiple lawsuits for its business practices?

BTW, my level is reality, where citizenship is a long process that isn't easily changed by how good a soccer player someone is. I think you're fighting a losing battle here, son.

20. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I thought Regis was expedited. See Haig's post a couple of pages back.

21. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regis was expedited because of a loophole in the law, not influence according to any report I could find online.

"David Regis, a native of France, recently became a U.S. citizen, so he could play for the U.S. World Cup soccer team. His citizenship application was expedited under a provision of the Immigration and Naturalization Act benefiting individual's with a US citizen spouse living abroad and employed by the U.S. Government, an American research institution or and American corporation that promotes foreign trade and commerce. Regis's wife met the criteria. Because the normal waiting period for a citizenship application can take years and INS is currently backlogged with millions of applications, some criticized Regis' ability to bypass the lines."

http://www.visalaw.com/98jun/6jun98.html

The fishy part was that someone affiliated with the USSF gave her a job so he cold meet the requirement.

http://www.canoe.ca/SoccerWCColumnsArchive/jun14_taylor.html

This was all done legally. Llamosa was waiting for citizenship at the same time and din't get it for WC 98. This wasn't influence or money "opening doors" or "calling in a favor."

22. mikesterw

mikesterw New Member

May 2, 2001
    Long Island, NY
    These threads are why I like bigsoccer so much. What ever happens with the kid happens, it would be great to see him blossom into something wonderful, but if he doesn't, it will just be a bit dissappointing to a few hundred maybe thousand people here on BS. What is the status of Freddies parents, are they citizens, permanent residents. As a former INS employee, It could be possible that he already is a citizen, depending on a few factors. Also, it takes someone real big to get a favor with INS, not something that I see happening with USSF. Just my .02 though.

23. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    followed by:
    So it just happened? No one influenced anyone?

I don't have to fight any battles, you do my research and win them for me. Thanks.

As far as Soccer house and T.V. rights are concerned, that is not at all analagous to ONE person or family's citizenship being expedited. I'm not going to waste a bunch of time explaining to you why because you'll just say that you disagree and follow it with childish retorts like "pu-leeze" and "huh?", or just throw in an insult, which as I've noticed in a lot of your posts, you like to resort to.

Just to say it for the FOURTH time. Money opens doors, if you don't think so, your level is not reality.

Why do you think the United States wields so much power in the world? It is because it is the richest nation in the worl - from agriculture to zeconomics.

24. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How did they "influence" if they followed the letter of the law? You can't accept the fact that you live in some never-never land. No rich people opened doors. The USSF found a loophole. That's not influence. That's smarts.

I've provided facts. A former INS empoyee has said you are wrong. You just keep saying, "but, but, but people have money."

This kid has been a known quantity for years. He has been in ODP since 1999.(http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/2001-08-24-focus-adu.htm). "The U.S. Soccer Federation is especially interested in this protégé, ever since the organization noticed him a couple of years ago." - USA Today, 8/24/01

So where have these influential people been? Huh? He has already been reported to be on track for citizenship, via his mother, this year. "Freddy Adu said he has decided he will become a U.S. citizen when eligible next year and wants to play internationally for this country." - Washngton Post, 8/24/01

Why haven't these favors been called in yet? Huh? Huh? I don't hear you.

25. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    They influenced it by giving her a job. YOU SAID THAT!

Seriously, you are a teenage girl aren't you. Insecurity is the thing that comes to mind when you keep wanting to say "I win".

How about this for influence: I'll give you 10bucks if you go away.