News: Bruce Arena disagrees with Jurgen Klinsmann over U.S. World Cup miss

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by smokarz, Apr 18, 2018.

1. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Portugal were crap against the US. They got the early goal, then it was all the US until Bradley's late brain-fart.

I'm not seeing nuances and I'm certainly not calling for everyone to say that everything JK did was bad.

However, you have to admit that a Gold Cup semi-final loss to Jamaica and failure against Panama in the 3rd place playoff, would have seen Bob Bradley or Bruce Arena out of a job.

Yet his supporters make excuse after excuse.

The man ditched LD from the World Cup squad, while including a Timmy Chandler for whom the attachment to the USMNT was so weak that he deferred to his club team on whether to attend their competitive games.

I know the excuse on that one "But his club team wouldn't let him! He couldn't take the risk!". Well I ask you what a Brazilian, Spanish, English, Italian, French or indeed a German NT player raised in Germany or USMNT player raised in the US, would say to that.

I assure you, it would be along the lines of "If you can't respect my right to represent my nation, then I want a transfer".

Clearly Chandler, his club or JK took his connection to the US seriously.

I'm sorry, but I refuse to accept that the US, regardless of the state of their current pool, doesn't have enough talent to finish outside the bottom two in a group consisting of T&T, El Salvador, Honduras, Panama, Costa Rica and Mexico.

Neither Klinsmann nor Arena were hamstrung by the players at their disposal.
    Something is being done.

MLS teams have collectively spent 9 figure sums on youth development.

Meanwhile, a friend of mine who is involved with youth soccer said that immediately after the World Cup qualification failure, a meeting was called to discuss new mandates regarding age groups and structure within teams.

2. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    #477 largegarlic, May 16, 2018
    Last edited: May 16, 2018
    Didn't see this interview with Klinsmann from SI.com posted here yet. It's not terribly insightful. He still insists that he wouldn't have done things differently and that Gulati was too quick to fire him after two losses in the Hex (while going on to say that MLS isn't good for development, because the lack of pro/rel allows players to feel too safe).

He's apparently holding out for a national team coaching position so that he can keep living in SoCal and commute to training camps when needed. Of course, he's also holding out for one of the top 8 teams in the world in order to have a real shot at winning the WC. I'm sure Spain, Argentina, et. al. will be ringing him nonstop.

Deadtigers and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  3. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course with Klinsmann and Sunil gone you will start to see some attempts to rollback of some of Klinsmann's TD mandates.

The calendar year birth date which aligns age groups with the rest of the world was always unpopular with the establishment crowd.

Next up, perhaps the needs based mandate for the DA clubs? That should stop the influx of players that we have seen since 2014 that have some complaining is changing the "complexion" of US Soccer.

Patrick167 repped this.
  4. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Morons. At least one of which popped into a U15 thread just to post about the subject. Sounded like someone straight from 4chan and /sp/.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  5. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    This quote encapsulates why LD was cut from the team:

"He is affable but judgmental, easygoing but averse to compromise."

If you know anything about germans, especially germans in positions of power, this judgment can come swift and merciless, or it can lay cold and dormant, but never forgotten.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  6. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Lot to read through but I will say this, even with missing the world cup in embarrassing fasion I don't think it set the US soccer program back... yet.

The failures of Bruce,Jurgen, Sunil, and the players have all been discussed to death so I'm not really going to go into it too much but I feel that Jurgen was trying too hard to convince everybody that he was the smartest man in the room while Bruce was trying too hard to show that Jurgen was the problem. I feel both tried too hard to force certain young players to be focal points when they weren't ready and when that didn't work they went back to regulars who just were not in good form.

That being said, the failure of 2018 does not effect 2022 depending on who the new coach is. The last cycle became a failure due to a huge divide that was caused by 2 coaches and politics. We need to get back focusing on the team and tactics not just one palyer

Mahtzo1, russ, Marko72 and 1 other person repped this.
  7. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    I am going to cheat, not read through all these posts, and skip to the end.
    Can someone fill me in and tell me who won this thread, JK or BA?

8. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I don’t know who won but I know who lost.....we the fans...

Marko72, FirstStar, xbhaskarx and 5 others repped this.
  9. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Who were the young players whom JK and BA relied upon who let them down?

10. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice to see Doug McIntyre, one of the best soccer writers back in the biz with Yahoo. Great piece with comments from BA and JK.
    Pertinent comments from Bedoya:

“Jurgen was always challenging you,” Bedoya said. “He pushed and tested you, and maybe some people can’t handle that as well as others. I think that was a problem.

“When Bruce came in, I thought he was very straightforward with everybody, telling everybody what he expects out of them,” Bedoya continued. “But until that last qualifier, the lineup was changed from the first game to the second game. Maybe that was a bad coaching move, but I think maybe some players also weren’t being honest and saying they were 100 percent when maybe they were a little bit sore. There was a lot put into that game against Panama.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/usmnts-world-cup-crash-told-klinsmann-arena-coaches-oversaw-222812946.html

Sam Hamwich and cleansheetbsc repped this.
  11. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Challenging how? Like playing DM vs. Brazil? I think Bedoya is trying to be positive about JK, and yes, challenging and testing players is OK, but if JK is not giving the players clear expectations like he describes in the Bruce 1st sentence, there is not going to be a meshing of these 'tests.'

Deadtigers repped this.
  12. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    That's like asking which cast member of Cop Rock won a Grammy.

13. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Deadtigers, MPNumber9 and Bob Morocco repped this.
  14. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Patrick167 repped this.
  15. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't really matter. We would have gotten massacred at the WC. Our entire team is hurt or in horrible form right now.

Our are players made of glass.

16. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More conventional wisdom?

Belgium extends contract with coach Martinez before Cup

BRUSSELS (AP) — Belgium has extended the contract of coach Roberto Martinez for two years, rewarding the Spaniard for a steady course and encouraging results.

https://apnews.com/364cfa41acbf4a659b075e0b338c763d

17. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stupid decision by the Belgian Federation. With that said, it's only through Euro 2020, so again not comparable to the JK situation...

Deadtigers repped this.
  18. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For what it is worth, I think that is close to what Jurgen wanted to do. I believe Jurgen wanted to put players in situations outside of their comfort zone without any explanation to see how those players could grow into it, and perhaps find something new about themselves. The problem of course, is that this only works with players who are mentally like Juergen. So I think Jurgen could’ve coached quite well a team comprised of 18 Juergens. Other than that, I think he’s a complete disaster.

Deadtigers repped this.
  19. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Change is futile. Especially to those who are laid back.

20. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    And a team of Maradonnas would have been good for Maradonna.

Ted Williams would have been a great MLB manager if all his players were capable of hitting .400 with power (and fearless enough to be fighter pilots in two wars)

Mahtzo1, Deadtigers and Marko72 repped this.
  21. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    russ and Deadtigers repped this.
  22. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Let's see how they feel about Martinez when they crash out at R16.

Deadtigers repped this.
  23. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #500 TheHoustonHoyaFan, May 19, 2018
    Last edited: May 19, 2018