Brexit affect on USMNT and US Soccer

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Dignan, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surprised there are no threads on this yet.

It seems that the Brexit will most likely have a wide ranging affect on global soccer. For one, there will probably be less opportunities for non UK players, since all the EU players will now be considered foreign and will have to go through a work permit process.

So it could limit opportunities for US players as they are squeezed out. But, it could also have similar affect in other leagues as well, as many players look to find new jobs in Germany, Holland, Spain, Portugal, Italy and France, etc.

Or at the same time, it could mean a talent surge into MLS, which could raise the level of league play which in the long run could be good for the USMNT.

Anyway, what are your thoughts? How will the Brexit shake up soccer and affect the USMNT? Or will it?

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  2. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I've thought a bit about it also. Another possibility is that it forces a change in the work permit rules. The premier league is used to their supply of virtually unlimited Euro players and the clubs in PL might force a change upon the Premier League. This would make it easier for US players to play in England.

If Brexit lead to a surge in talent in MLS, it could go either way in benefitting the American soccer player. If it leads to a reduction of opportunity it will most likely be a negative.

Footsatt and Dignan repped this.
  3. Mayfong

Mayfong Red Card

Jul 2, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We should assume the PL will work out rules, in conjunction with the surviving government, favorable to its economic interests.

truefan420 repped this.
  4. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    We might lose Dempsey if Texit happens.

5. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  6. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I dare not speculate, to be honest. There are far too many moving parts and far too many questions at the moment. I do not believe that anyone can really say with any real confidence right now what the world football market is going to look like two years from now, but I assume that the Premier League is not going to want to lose its global audience, and will do everything that it can to hold on to it.

rlrcpa, russ, MPNumber9 and 1 other person repped this.
  7. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point, but also we are getting ready to see some serious expansion over the next 2-5 years... Atlanta, Minnesota, LA, Miami, probably Sacramento, and about 5 other cities waiting in the wings.

8. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    We won't really know anything for years now since it will be years before UK officially leaves. I am sure with the $Billions in the EPL from foreign/powerful entities, rules will be worked out to not effect work permits etc. at all. The effect could benefit the US because if anything the work permit rules will be relaxed to allow the EU players to keep flowing in.

I think this will be an overall good thing for the world in general but soccer as well. USA has a good opportunity to develop some very favorable new trade rules with Britain and work permits are a major part of that (well not this President as he has already gave them the middle finger about it).

9. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Agree.That is why I believe the work permit rules will be made more lenient. The only thing I would add is that the Premier league is big enough to demand/coerce etc that their economic interests are considered. I also believe that there is a pride element that will encourage the enactment of rules that will help ensure the Premier league's place in the top leagues of the world.

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your understanding of the policy implications and politics of this is...not good.

Please join us n the politics forum for a deeper, more informative discussion.

owian repped this.
  11. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like some serious buyers remorse going on in the UK at the moment and with the new PM coming from the "remain camp" it looks like the most extreme predictions aren't going to come true. I actually don't believe the UK will leave the EU. But the EU will play hardball for a year + to discourage any other countries from threatening to leave too.

But even if the UK does leave they will almost for sure maintain the same freedom of movement that exists today. The EU has insisted that freedom of movement be maintained if the UK wants free access to their markets. So guessing what ever the final agreement is will maintain the status quo in terms of EU citizens being able to work in the UK.

But in the unlikely situation that Nigel Farage gets his way and the foreigners are kept out I still don't see a major impact on the US players in Britain. There might be an easing/ changing of work permit qualifications to make sure the clubs can get their players but I still don't see it mattering. There are currently a number of US players who could qualify for a work permit but are in the MLS over England already. This doesn't change that.

Only way it becomes harder for US players is if there is some sort of foreign player cap, but I see that as incredibly unlikely.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  12. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    The brexit dramatically increases the likelihood of further eu escapes. Most members now have active and growing exit movements. This story has only had chapter one written.

Moral of the story, if you don't control your currency and/or your commerce, and/or your borders, you don't have a country.

6 ft. Leprechaun repped this.
  14. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Only effect this may have is less of our EU passport holding players will be in EPL. And maybe the strength of the dollar vs. European currencies will prevent some purchases of US players by Euro clubs.

Apart from that, nothing.

mschofield repped this.
  15. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    What I wonder about is how this will affect our current EU passport holders. I believe this affects Miazga, Lichaj, Yedlin, Hyndman, Zelalem and Williams. Probably more.

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  16. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    That, of course, assumes that their work permit rules stay basically the same. My guess is that if Brexit comes to fruition the the work permit rules will look nothing like they do now. It would probably work against those with European passports and for those without.

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  17. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    This is one of many such reasons why I am reluctant to try to hypothesize.

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  18. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Fewer.

And since there are only 3 USA players total in the EPL as of today, how much effect could there be?

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  19. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It won't affect a USMNT starter like Yedlin since by definition he can earn a work permit. It may affect a fair number of important youth players that are in Britain on a EU passport. Miazga, Hyndman, Novakovich and Zelalem are very important youth players but they don't meet the work permit guidelines. In addition Williams and Lichaj are borderline NT candidates that may break out yet. They also may be affected.

In the end though what will likely happen is that these guys will have a few years to work it out and will always have freedom of movement in most of Europe.

USvsIRELAND and Mahtzo1 repped this.
  20. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Exactly. Those that are near the top based (for all countries) will probably not be affected at all. There will be a mechanism to allow those that are qualified for the Premier league talent wise to be signed. I'm sure of that. What is much more questionable is the lower level talent, which would include all players that might otherwise play in the Championship level and younger players (see those mentioned above). For those that believe England to be a good place to send our young players for development they may be disappointed if that pathway dries up.

As was stated earlier by Marko, there is nothing that is certain at his point.

21. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Meh, Germany seems to be taking care of everything. So many young players there now it's hard to keep track.

22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    As I understand it, the EU will not give England access to the single market unless they accept movement of labor provisions. So really one can't say if England will or will not accept those provisions or go its own way. That's really open to question and I don't think we find out overnight.

23. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Yeah

No way they give England a better deal than they give Norway, for instance, and one of the conditions there is free movement of labor.

24. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A small price to pay...

25. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    In terms of youth teams, there's that FIFA regulation that players can't transfer outside of their own country of residence until they turn 18 (the rule Barca got busted on). The rule has a huge (HUGE) exception when it comes to European players, however - it doesn't apply for anyone transferring from one EU country to another. Dunno how that's gonna work for Britain long-term.

For US players, it probably means more hurdles getting work permits in the UK. Which honestly might be for the best, because our guys generally haven't fared well in Britain - they may be better off looking for somewhere else on the continent for playing time and technical development, which England ... needs some work on.