Brazil of today vs. Yesterday

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by DerMongerer, Jun 23, 2004.

1. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    What do Brazil fans think of the National of the presently compared to the days of Zico, and before Pele? We're always expected to play some form of samba football come tournament time, entertaining and winning 3-0 & 4-0 like those teams in the past. Many fans from other nations (and our own too), I find knock us because we don't play like years past. That Brazilians of today are spoiled. But I always say one of the main reasons the teams in the past were able to achieve those results (not including their talent) was because they all played within Brazil and didn't play club football in Europe. So they were a mystique to European defences compared to now when the best Brazilians live in Europe. I think that's the main reason why we don't play the same as 20-30 years ago. What does anyone else think about my theory?

2. PsyKoh

PsyKoh New Member

Apr 26, 2003
    I think the main reason we don't play like we did back then is because, like just about every other sport, soccer players are faster and stronger and it is more efficient to score a goal by outrunning your opponent than to score a goal by the ways we did in the past.

Nowadays if a player spends more than a few seconds with the ball, he gets fouled, and if the player is dribbling everybody and making a fool out of the opposing players, he's a target to get fouled even worse.

With the money that's on the line on today's soccer, no player wants to sit half a season because of a broken leg.

3. Soccerboymi

Soccerboymi New Member

Apr 10, 2004
    Brevard county
    brazil today is slightly different then before in my opinion

4. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Are you guys potentially suggesting players like Zico, Rivelino, Jairzinho & Pele wouldn't do as good today?

5. PsyKoh

PsyKoh New Member

Apr 26, 2003

I'm suggesting just that...Unless they aquired the stamina and athleticism of today's players. Then they'd be even bigger superstars playing in Spain and Italy.

6. Cool Rob

Cool Rob Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Chicago USA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with the premise that Brazil is somewhat hurt by the fact that so many Brazilians play in Europe and so the world is intimately familiar with them and their style of play.

Lets take Denilson for example. I believe 35 years ago he would have been even more effective if he came straight from Sao Paulo. Now, every single one of his moves is captured by 10 cameras from 10 different camera angles. This makes it easier for teams to prepare for him. Can you imagine what it would be like to mark him with little knowlege?? It would be completely disorienting for a defender.

7. Powdered Water

Powdered Water New Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Keswick Putney local
    I don't know if Brazilian football was "hurt", but I certainly think that europian football has influenced Brazilian style in recent years. The pace and physicality for a start. I've also heard some criticisms about too much reliance on counter attack and also I think it was just after 2002 WC that some criticized Brasil for lack of team work and too much individuality.

I don't entirely agree with the criticisms because I still enjoy watching Brazil play. But definitely something has changed from the 80s. Back then, it felt more artistic to me. It felt like the passing was more intricate, the teamwork felt more intimate, and I think that gave time and space for more individual flourish when called upon without sacrificing team work. More patience, greater care in the buildup and breath taking team effort worked perfectly with well placed individual flamboyance.

Maybe I'm just falling into the typical trap of "Good old days were better than today" mentality, but I think I used to enjoy it more. I'd like to see Brazil drop pace, and use more short triangular passes to avoid tackles. And burst forward in the last few moments, that variation is what I love about Brazilian football (as opposed to the constant sprinting).