Brazil-Holland, 4th June

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Denilson70, Apr 2, 2011.

1. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Normally our defense doesn't get much work because of the rest of the team. In the 2nd half when everybody was tired or something, our defense got a good test.
    And it showed our only real weak points, the backs. 'Overrated or not in shape' Van Der Wiel and 'the best we have' Pieters let them create multiple chances. No Brazil chances went through the middle, everything came through the wings, looked like we played without backs. Time to give Boulahrouz a chance and bench VdWiel.

About the game; in the first half we didn't have much problems with Brazil really. Nice combinations with possession and they are nowhere.
    When our players went solo and play long balls like the 2nd half, they had no problem with us, they grew up with that style of play. They were earlier at every ball, looked like we were tired or couldn't cope with the heat, I think both played a role.
    It may sound arrogant but my feeling is that we are a better team than they are.
    Also no big players on their team like they normally have. They are always hyping up their players, like Neymar, but the only real top quality in this team are Alves and Julio Cesar. Now I hear them talking about 'Ganso'??? and that they missed other players. Maicon wasn't there but he is overrated too, when I looked how easyly Gareth Bale walked past him many times. Kaka criticised but still a top playmaker when in form, should be in that team.

2. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I watched about 20 minutes of yesterdays match and it was so bad I cried.

3. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Starting formation for the future should be:

Van Persie-----Huntelaar-----Robben
    ---------VdVaart------Sneijder
    ----------------Anita
    De Jong-Mathijsen-Heitinga-VdWiel

Since De Jong has unlearned how to play football he's demoted to left back. And for that reason Kuijt is demoted to the bench. Anita is nowadays my favorite for DM. We need to play football, look forwards before looking backwards, proper build-up, maintaining position and pressure. De Jong kicking the ball to the central defenders 80% of the time will never create anything.

Yes, I know Van Marwijk will never change his 4-2-3-1 formation. Whatever.

4. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Unable to edit but I meant to write possession where I wrote position.

5. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I agree, Brazil was disappointing, and it´s ironic that they criticise their world cup coach as if this game is anything to go by they just don´t have the individual quality to be more than a quarter final team.

Four years ago we´d be ecstatic about a Holland side missing a number of players keeping Brazil to a goalless draw in Brazil. How times have changed.

6. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Agreed. this game was more about us failing offensively, then it was about us excelling defensively

7. AllStarz

AllStarz Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Oh come on. I shouldn't have to tell you that Van der Wiel has played almost continuously for the past two seasons. After the World Cup he was given a bare two weeks of holiday to jump onto the pitch again for the qualification rounds of the Champions League and has played 61 matches this season alone. Give the guy some space; he's shown to be good enough for the top during the World Cup. In my opinion, it's rather unfair to criticize him.

As for Pieters, he's simply not good enough, but with no alternative it's the best choice possible. However, Van Aanholt just extended his contract with Chelsea and might be loaned to HSV. He's expected to succeed Cole in a season or two, so we've just might get a better fullback before EURO 2012 starts.

As for the match: what really stunned me was the huge gap between the strikers and the defenders, it was clear how much the traditional midfield of Van Bommel and Sneijder were missed.

I would suggest the following formation:

Afellay------Huntelaar/Van Persie-----Robben
    ----------------Sneijder
    ----------De Jong-----Van Bommel
    Van Aanholt-Mathijsen-Heitinga-VdWiel

8. Napoli Supporters

Apr 15, 2010
    I like that new guy Strootman. He's the successor to vBommel I think.

Is Strootman considered a defensive midfielder??
    Cause I think like vBommel he's a bit of both (defensive and offensive midfielder)

9. Erwin6174

Erwin6174 Member

Jun 13, 2008
    The Netherlands
    The only difference being that Strootman does not have to resort to reckless challenges to defend.

10. Erwin6174

Erwin6174 Member

Jun 13, 2008
    The Netherlands
    If Hiddink comes back to Chelsea, Van Aanholt might get more playing time. Had he stayed in Holland he could have been first choice already, but who knows.

11. Napoli Supporters

Apr 15, 2010
    Plus Strootman has a better, more accurate shot IMO

12. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Strootman is more of an attacking player.
    Van Bommel brings calmness into our game.
    But the last times we've played with vdVaart as defensive midfielder, together with either De Jong or Van Bommel. He brings more attacking possibilities.

13. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Bommel is extremely experienced and extremely clever. It doesn´t hurt to have someone like that in your team.

14. It seems that the Brasil coach made Neymar apologise on tv to the Brasil people for his flopping and diving. If true, thumbs up to the coach.

15. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    did the dutch coach asked for Robben to apologize for diving and getting Ramirez red carded?

16. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Alves is not top quality. Just like Messi (who by coincidence?) also play in Barcelona, Alves is awesome in Barcelona but average at the national team.

And thats why I still dont consider Messi one of the best players ever. He will first have to prove himself in another team other than Barça, be it Argentina itself or another club.

So, if you dont know a player because he plays in Brazil, he is not top quality? How eurocentric.

Ganso is the best playmaker in Brazil, doesnt matter the country. Check the game against the US to see how he destroyed.

Maicon´s gameplay has definitly been subpar compared to 2010 and earlier.

17. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Alves is a decent defender, in attack and defense, you don't see that much anymore, and he keeps going.
    Just the ??? because I don't know him, people from South-America and Southern-Europe tend to hype players as their saviour, after one season good play or something.
    I know Maicon is not the Maicon from before 2010.
    The truth is, talking about names, this is the worst since before 1994?
    But a 'good team' is better than 11 good players and no team (look at Germany, never big names, always finals).

18. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Football is a team sport. That's also the reason Messi and Alves aren't able to demonstrate the true extent of their abilities in their national teams.