News: Brazil 2014: "Big risk of being embarrassed"

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by flem16, Mar 2, 2011.

1. flem16

flem16 Rainmaker

Jan 9, 2005
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Brazil's such a big country that it will have its doubters all the way through the tournemtn, smaller nations such as England just won't understand the logistics involved to host such a big event in such a big country.

Brazil will be a success even with a few hiccups. But why does everything have to run to clock work all the time?

3. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    I think the key to their "success" was that not a lot of people turned up. The reason for that was largely because the capacity never really existed, so it was difficult and/or expensive for people to arrange flights, accommodation, and internal transport. Maybe the trend for the future will be for World Cups to have no problems because not so many people go.
    That's alright then, people are worrying about nothing, how silly of them.

4. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    Because the execution of the lead-up to a WC tends to show how the actual event & its legacy will be handled/managed. Compare the 2006 WC (Germany) with the 2010 WC (South Africa).

5. Michael2010

Michael2010 New Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I can only laugh at people who think Brazil will have an issue hosting the football world cup. They could host the games on the pavement and host the best world cup thus far. This is a world cup, everyone is looking forward to unlike another nation who is a total footballing farce. Brazil 2014, no problems. It will be amazing and I'm sure everyone will be there and looking forward to one massive massive party. Brazil is the type of nation that should be getting football world cups unlike footballing disgrace stories with no tradition, no history and certainly no tourist venues for everyone travelling there. Brazil will be every football fan's dream world cup, the polar opposite of we all know where.

6. flem16

flem16 Rainmaker

Jan 9, 2005
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the stadiums they presently have in place and what they are on track for they may have to host the games on pavement. I can't think of another country in recent times whose preparations were so far behind

No problems? Really? How are people going to move between cities? In Germany I rode the train, rented a car and flew between cities. In South Africa I rented a car and also flew between cities. In Brazil you can't take the train and the distance is too far to drive. The Brazilian air travel infrastructure is already a disaster and that doesn't even take into account an influx of hundreds of thousands of tourists who would have no other choice than to take a plane between cities.

Try getting around Rio or Sao Paulo on the subway during rush hour. Now throw in thousands of tourists and what do you get?

There were complaints and worries about crime in South Africa before the World Cup was held there. Crime in Brazil is a major problem. There are a whole lot more people in Brazil's major cities and security will be an issue.

I sure hope this is the case but there is a TON of work to be done and we're a little over 2.5 years from the Confederations Cup. They don't have time to mess around anymore.

As a side note, FIFA just approve Corinthians proposal to build a new stadium for the World Cup: FIFA Approves Corinthians as Cup venue The stadium is projected to have a capacity of 65,000 yet they still want Sao Paulo to host the opener. The stadium won't even have the capacity to meet FIFA's requirements.

7. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Thanks for only using part of my sentance to make it into something else. Brazil will be a success even with a few hiccups! Of course, they won't be a success if a stadium falls down! How silly of you to amend my sentance!

8. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Oil pipes undermine Sao Paulo’s World Cup preparations

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=reu-brazilworldpipes

9. DanFla

DanFla Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    flem16 if u are so worried about everything you dont need to come. Stay at home, watch the WC on tv and continue to believe on stereotypes.

Brasil is already the 5th economy in the world, if we, the soccer nation, can't handle with a successful i dont know who can. I have no doubt that is gonna be one of the greatest and happiness WC ever.

10. flem16

flem16 Rainmaker

Jan 9, 2005
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't worry, I will be there. I won't miss a World Cup for anything. The original post was a link to two articles that spoke directly to problems acknowledged by Brazilians themselves. My second post was in response to an asinine comment made by someone who basically said Brazil was having "no problems" when that couldn't be further from the truth.

Brazil can certainly host a successful World Cup but the opinion I get is that some people think that just because Brazil is Brazil everything will fall into place with no effort. Brazil won the rights to host the World Cup without any competition from the other CONMEBOL nations (Colombia pulled out late). They've had plenty of time to make headway yet little positive has taken place so far and they are falling further behind.

I sure hope it comes together as I'd like to be able to enjoy myself at a great WC in 3+ years time.

11. Jeddy Rasp

Jeddy Rasp Member

Feb 10, 2007
    out to lunch
    If Brazil don't get it right then FIFA will be looking at three straight disasters in a row starting in 2014. Who to blame? The crooks at FIFA.:eek:
    England should have gotten 2018 and the USA 2022.

12. Michael2010

Michael2010 New Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Brazil won't be a disaster, it's going to be one massive party. Russia I'm sure will also put on one massive party for everyone, who knows they might even beat Brazil in that sense. There's only one world cup, which is a total farce and doesn't fit in anywhere into world cup host allocations and we all know when that is.

13. Jegao Paraiba

Jegao Paraiba Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Morgantown, WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is sorta out of character for Brazilians, which are normally a realistic and smilingly cynical lot.

I have no doubt that Brazil is capable of putting on a great WC, but Teixeira's corruption is shocking even to Brazilians. If you are so confident that Brazil is blessed by God to such a degree that it is impossible for Brazil to screw up a World Cup you are way more optimistic than most Brazilians.

FWIW.
    Brazil is the worlds 8th biggest economy by absolute GDP.
    By per-capita GDP, it's 104th.:eek:
    Source

I'm not trying to bag on Brazil; I love it.
    I just thought I'd call you out on pretending to be the guy who gets to issue visas (you're not), while implying that Brazil can't possibly screw things up (you should know better).

14. Cool Rob

Cool Rob Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Chicago USA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Brazil isn't Switzerland, for sure, but they'll have it together. They always do stuff like this, mess around, yell in Congress, fight over funding...but when its all said and done they'll be ready. Sure the last sign on the Maracana will be lifted into place as planes touch down at the airport, but it'll be an unimaginably good time, guaranteed.

15. Ranehiku

Ranehiku New Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Pacific, MO, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I want Brazil to cost the next World Cup with no difficulties.

16. Cirdan

Cirdan Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Jena (Germany)
    FIFAs capacity minimum for the opening match is 60k, if they upped the capacity of Corinthians new stadium to 65k, that'll be enough. None of the candidates for the opening match has 80k capacity (Sao Paulo, Brasilia, Belo Horizonte).

17. DanFla

DanFla Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Sou you are welcome. But dont need to worry, everything is gonna be ok for the WC, people like to exaggerate, specially the brazilian press. Yes there are some delays but as any sport event of this size around the world.

18. DanFla

DanFla Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    There is no 2010 official data yet but Brasil improve your position.
    per-capita GDP? this means nothing...is so important as take your GDP and fraction it using the country land area.

19. flem16

flem16 Rainmaker

Jan 9, 2005
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I had said, the minimum capacity for the opener is 65K:

Sao Paulo to host opening match

"Corinthians, one of Brazil's biggest and most popular clubs, had planned to built the stadium with a capacity of 48,000, while FIFA require a minimum of 65,000 for the opening match."

20. Kampfschwein

Kampfschwein Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Was South Africa 2010 really such a success? Weren't there quite a few organisational problems? Further, legacy-wise we're talking of a mixed record.

Naturally, though, such deficiencies have fairly little impact on the global TV audience. The world cup is always special (ok, Qatar will suck, but hey).

Don't get me wrong. Africa rightly got the chance to host even if they cannot match the hosting quality of the likes of Germany.

21. jus2nang

jus2nang Member

Dec 12, 2005
    North London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    In my opinion that's Russia. The most xenophobic nation on the planet and no place for a world cup to be held. It should have gone to England.

22. flem16

flem16 Rainmaker

Jan 9, 2005
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Brazil will get the stadiums done in time. Might be complete on the opening day but it will be done.

The real issue is securityand transportation. Sao Paulo already has epic traffic now, so with thousands of tourists, it will be insane.

24. Tifosi FC

Tifosi FC New Member

Oct 25, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    After reading this article all i can say is, Yikes !!

Special report - Brazil's Olympic push isn't winning any medals

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20110328/ten-uk-brazil-infrastructure-5fdf947.html

25. Jeddy Rasp

Jeddy Rasp Member

Feb 10, 2007
    out to lunch