Boston Breakers

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by hocho, Apr 3, 2007.

1. hocho

hocho New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Braintree
    Boston to announce a team next week.

2. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    Re: Why does the Women's Soccer Initiative not have a web site?

I checked a couple of times to make sure that wasn't posted on April Fools' Day... don't want any false hopes. I'm intrigued, tell me more...

3. hocho

hocho New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Braintree

Colleague of mine told me yesterday. He's part of the investment goup that formed Boston Womens Soccer LLC. Something official to come next week he says.

4. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: "Location TBA" WSII

Boston isn't west, either, but something is stirring up this way. Some familiar names will be involved.

5. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005

I wish these investors would come up with more imaginative names for their entities.

6. hocho

hocho New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Braintree

They are trying to get the 'Breakers' name back however the Players Association owns it so they are negotiating.

7. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI

Thanks. I was hoping they would try to bring back the Breakers name.

8. hocho

hocho New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Braintree

Already has 'appeal' here so it's a no brainer but who knows what will happen in negotiations...

9. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I hope that familiar name is Joe Cummings....

How is it that the PA "owns" the Breakers name and not Amos Hostetter??

I would imagine that they would want to announce by Friday afternoon....Maybe after WNT training at 2:00pm??

Great news indeed!! I cannot wait to hear more....

:D

10. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado

I was wondering that myself.

11. hocho

hocho New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Braintree

Not sure...this is what was communicated to me:

We aren’t 100% sure, but we are trying to get the old name back – Boston Breakers. We think it has market appeal and good feelings in the market. Players association owns the names, etc so we have a negotiation to do!

12. hocho

hocho New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Braintree
  13. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Very nice....I'm writing my check for season tickets as soon as Joe tells me to!!

BTW, Mittsie let the cat out of the bag during her time in the booth with Brad Feldman and Greg Lalas after the Mexico match.....Saying It hasn't been announced but Boston will be one of the cities...

I'll be interested to see where they will play and who are the investors???

Back to Nickerson? Bowditch Field?? Gillette???

Hostetter?? Kraft???

14. hocho

hocho New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Braintree

Bowditch is under contract, I believe, with MPS Renegades plus its a bit out of the way from what I understand....at least a Mass geographic perspective. Bowditch would certainly attract NH, VT, etc

Kraft was on hand the other night....maybe he's looking at an SSS?

Its interesting that there was an article about a large sports complex that had Lilly's and the Sox GM as 'partners' in Weymouth.

I also heard Mitts was asked to 'handicap' the WC before the game Saturday which received some silence with a 'I dont understand' after

15. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'd love to see a SSS in Weymouth as I live only about 10 minutes from the old NAS....but that site isn't going to begin development until fall 2008. And Tri Town politics is just shy of City of Boston BS...maybe Kraft can payoff Mayor Madden...We're looking for $7 Million to renovate Legion Field, that's a start...

I had a laugh at the handicap gaf as well....But then again, I could care less that Heather doesn't know what that means...Afterall, there's plenty more to focus on!!:p

:D

16. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI

ditto. Being at the WNT game Saturday reminded me what it was like to watch women's soccer live... so glad I won't have to wait another 4 years between matches. Time to break out the old Breakers scarf.

17. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

I was at the game also Sat. and saw some of the WNT players including Ryan talking to Kraft after the game by the benches. I was thinking maybe he would be a potential investor in a new women's league.

18. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001

BOSTON, NY/NJ MARKETS TO HOST WOMEN’S SOCCER FRANCHISES
    Lilly To Appear At Press Conference
    Announcing Details Of Boston Team
    Women’s Soccer Initiative today will announce that the Boston and N.Y./New Jersey markets will host franchises in the new women’s professional soccer league set to start play in April ’08. The teams will join previously announced franchises in L.A., Dallas, Chicago, DC and St. Louis. An eighth market has not yet been announced (Mult., 4/18).

Sources said the Boston team will be called the Breakers, the name of the city’s former WUSA team, and Harvard Stadium is "the leading candidate” to host games. Former Breakers GM Joe Cummings -- whose role with the team is unknown -- will appear at the press conference along with U.S. national team members Kristine Lilly and Angela Hucles, who will play on that team (METROWEST DAILY NEWS, 4/18).

Thomas Hofstetter, President & CEO of Sky Blue Soccer – a women’s minor league team set to compete in the W-League that starts play May 12 – said that he “will be in charge of the New Jersey franchise.” Hofstetter said he has been in stadium-use talks with Rutgers Univ. and the MLS Red Bulls (Newark STAR-LEDGER, 4/18).

19. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike

So it sounds like at least the Boston team has been allocated at least two players so far.

I wonder how many players will be in the pool of allocable (is that a word?) players? I'm assuming they will pick based on regional ties.

20. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Another founding member of the WSI is Chris Markgraf, husband of U.S. national team defender Kate (Sobrero) Markgraf, another former member of the Breakers. Markgraf is on sabbatical from the U.S. team while regaining fitness after the birth of her first child last summer. Markgraf, who lives in Boston, is another former Breaker who probably will play for the Hub’s new franchise.

21. hocho

hocho New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Braintree

I was told that we could do it by end of today...how, I have no idea. If I hear, will post.

22. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Joe told me to.....check is in the mail!

http://www.bostonbreakers.com/breakers_tickets.html

:D :D :D

23. hocho

hocho New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Braintree

Here's my source

“We are thrilled to have Joe joining us as the President of the Boston Breakers organization,” said Michael Stoller, one of six local investors in the Boston franchise. “Joe’s experience is unparalleled in the soccer world in this country and he has tirelessly worked to revive the women’s professional soccer league for the last three years. We are confident that Joe shares with us the vision of running a first class team, stands for all the best values in sports today, and will bring success to our team and the league as a whole.”

24. cobi13

cobi13 Member

Aug 16, 2004
    NY

I am not sure I like this whole Boston Breakers deal. I think the league needs to learn from the WUSA mistakes (or misfortunes - w/e), and move on. It was a great attempt - I love the Charge and even drove about 4 hours to go see them, but I hope that we aren't looking at a bunch of renaming deals. We already now have Freedom and Breakers back....Freedom is fine though. But if they go back to the Bay Area, please, know Cyber Rays!

25. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75