Post-match: Bosnia-Herzegovina

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by thedukeofsoccer, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I'm still optimistic about what's coming.

2. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    And those were the hi lites. Which was your point, ofc. Agree with your conclusion. Next step: Get the entire soccer media to admit they got it wrong when they said "there is no reason whatsoever to rush into naming a manager of USMNT before the WC is over and all the failures are fired and we can pick one up cheaply."

Deep Wilcox repped this.
  3. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Canada on paper could challenge. Like I said, on paper.

I actually don't think we will qualify. I don't see any change whatsoever in the attitude and why should the Yankees and Patriots want the competition anyway.

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Yes, must admit there's a chance we don't qualify.

But until that happens, I'll be thinking we will qualify.

That's the fan talking.

5. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I disagree. I mean slightly. Soccer can be an agent of change and integration. Just as it was for blacks from the 50's till now. Bob Haskins, in EL PASO TX of all places, the most mexican of border towns, managed it. Tab could have fielded more latin players, but of course, he didn't have the scouting or really the incentive to find latin players. USSF could change that without too much effort.

6. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Growing up I played on a mixed team in El paso and we would routinely get abused by the all mexican teams in mexico but also in new mexico and parts of el paso. I was too young at the time to grasp the importance of those experiences. We weren't even playing the same game.

7. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We'll qualify.

We have some stout hearted quality players coming through that will take it upon themselves to make it happen...They're on mission. They absolutely know what is at stake and they won't let us down.

We'll pick up a solid coach with a good tactical mind and all this BS we're currently dealing with will be forgotten...4 years is an eternity, so much can change in two years with a proper coach.

Say we bring in Tata Martino as coach to assess and select our player pool and provide actual tactical game management...changes everything.

To say we won't qualify for the 2022 WC based on our current state and Sarachan's latest crapfest is just short sighted.

largegarlic repped this.
  8. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Poverty and hunger are powerful motivators. Getting out of a terrible living situation is as well. Our kids are veeeeery comfortable. Especially the ones whose parents pay 3K per year for the privilege of playing travel soccer.

Borrachin and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  9. sregis2

sregis2 Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    why would "this" continue? at least half of our likely starters are euro-based. this will be a process, and we have lots of time.

Winoman repped this.
  10. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My lineup for the next game... Weston McKennie and John Brooks may still not be well by then but I’m including for argument sake.

GK Hamid, Steffen, Klinsmann

FB Yedlin, Moore, Robinson, Chandler

CB Brooks/Zimmermann, Miazga, Carter-Vickers, Glad

MF McKennie/K.Acosta, Parks, Torres, Adams, Roldan

AT Pulisic, Nagbe, Amon, Saief, Gooch

FW Siebatcheu, Sargent, Wright, Novakovich

———
    GK Hamid (Steffen)46
    RB Yedlin (Moore) 85
    CB Carter-Vickers
    CB Miazga
    LB Robinson (Chandler) 60
    DM Adams (Parks) 75
    RM Amon
    CM McKennie/Roldan
    LM Saief (Nagbe) 60
    CF Pulisic
    FW Siebatcheu (Sargent) 60

Winoman repped this.
  11. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I think Nagbe was one of the players that "broke" in Couva. But friendlies early in the cycle should be fine. He will probably not be in the picture much longer. He simply has never improved and regressed in a national team shirt.

Zimmerman is a horror show and can't be included until he is great for club, but I doubt that will happen. Bring Glad, call in EPB, bring Opara. No reason Opara can't plug a hole for the next three years.

12. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Disagree with the bolded, all on the grounds that none of them, to paraphrase Jurgen, have done shit in the professional game. Klinsmann has 1 senior appearance, Parks only has 3 or 4, Torres has 2, Sargent has 0, Wright has a few, but he's done ********-all in them, and Novakovich is playing in a league that is a half-step above semi-pro. Amon is on the fringes for me, but if he continues to lock down that first-team role at FCN, bring him in. Moore gets in because I'd play a high school kid at fullback if he was good enough.

I understand the impetus to go young as soon as possible, but it makes a lot more sense to let these guys hang around their clubs and try to get playing time there than it does to bring them into a directionless US team where they might get brief cameo time.

Suyuntuy repped this.
  13. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    I think that I finally figured out. LOL.
    Basically, Our coach just put a forward who is physical, fast and all wheels and whistles. The defenders from other teams will mistakenly think from their experiences to treat our poor guy too seriously. That mistake will give our real players like McKennie, Pulisic, Dempsey, etc. a space to cause damage. If other teams know us, they will just discount our forward and they cannot finish noda anyway.

Then they just shutdown the few guys we have, then we done.

14. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I started liking this until I saw Zimmerman and Glad and no Lichaj. Not in my world. Lichaj, Miazga and Brooks are the start of the roster back there for me. CCV is good, then pick one of Zimmerman or Glad.

The midfield is debatable as well. McKennie, Parks and perhaps Adams to start with then go from there. Not buying the Roldan stock and Acosta hasn't done it for me either. I'll hold on commenting on Torres until I see more.

But God Bless you for not including Morris or Altidore. Those arguing straight faced for more of the same based on experience are hard to follow. You're taking some risks in your projection and I really like it and think it's the only way to dig out of the hole that Bruce's comfortable lineups created.

Patrick167, Eleven Bravo and Winoman repped this.
  15. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair. I came close to including Lichaj but he plays a different position. I want to see what Chandler, Moore, and Robinson can do, but could drop Yedlin, since I know he’s my default right back already.

laxcoach repped this.
  16. sregis2

sregis2 Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    I understand the impetus to go young as soon as possible, but it makes a lot more sense to let these guys hang around their clubs and try to get playing time there than it does to bring them into a directionless US team where they might get brief cameo time.[/QUOTE]

these really aren't nor should be mutually exclusive concepts.

17. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I watched the first 45 minutes and turned it off, knowing -- at least in my own mind -- that the following non-European based line-up would have gotten the win:

--------------------------Howard
    ----Bornstein----Gonzo----Spector----Beasley
    ------------------Jones----------Bradley
    ------------------------Feilhaber
    ----------Donovan----------------Dempsey
    ------------------------Altidore

18. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    They absolutely are. Players who are on the fringes of their club team and are called up to national team duty often find themselves further on the periphery when they return.

19. sregis2

sregis2 Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    mostly, i see it working both ways, to the advantage of both- no program is going to ignore real talent if it shows in either scenario, but the opportunities have to be parsed out thoughtfully.

20. sregis2

sregis2 Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    it there a point here? zzz

Excellency repped this.
  21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I remember last cycle when Mexico was about to miss on qualifying, some of their fans were clamoring for 40 year old, semi-retired Cuauhtemoc Blanco.

22. sregis2

sregis2 Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    desperate times...

23. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    If I can understand your "zzz" comment without help I'm sure you can figure out what my post intended to demonstrate. Enjoy your nap.

24. sregis2

sregis2 Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    my question mark still stands

25. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Mexico would've missed the World Cup had the USA not stupidly continued playing for a win against Panama.

A once in a lifetime opportunity to keep Mexico out of the World Cup and what does the US do? Plays fair!