books necessary to read

Discussion in 'Books' started by elainemichelle, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    Yes, but it was banned for sales and you couldn't find a copy of the book in the library, right? Bulgakov was close to burning his manuscripts when he's been told the book wouldn't be released. I heard that a movie was made based on the novel in Russia, and it was also banned. And surely the book was not discussed in schools or colleges across Soviet Union. If not for that, Bulgakov would've probably been more recognized inside his own country and all over the world.

"A Hero..." is one of Lermontov's short novels? Amazing to think that a guy who died before turning 27 is considered to be one of the greatest writers of all times in Russia. He probably would've been the greatest if he lived at least as long as Pushkin did.

2. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably been mentioned before but Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States is a must read.

3. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I regret to disillusion you, but most Russians know who Bulgakov was quite well. As for not getting it in the library or reading it in school - I think you have a slightly misguided view of Soviet Russia. The book was "banned", but not hard to get.

No, and Pushkin didn't exactly die old. Lermontov, while brilliant, didn't match Pushkin's amazing talent.

4. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD
    Bulgakov is a Russian classic and it is safe to say that any Russian who does not know his name is illiterate. Bans or no bans.
    If you truly want to read just one Russian author, he is as easy a pick as they come.

As for Lermontov, his problem was not so much the age as the fact that he wasn't nearly as prolific as Pushkin, who died in his 30s. Lermontov did have a military service to deal with. Generally, his poetic talent (which was greatly influenced by Lord Byron) was, however great, not equal to Pushkin's. However, Lermontov was deeper and wrote much better prose. The Hero of Our Times takes Pushkin's character Eugene Onegin and dissects him psychologically in a way Pushkin never could (or wanted) to do.

5. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    I may have to write off the Russians because I am going to die before I get to all the good Latin American and American writers.

My bad.

6. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=sr_1_14/103-0110374-8874261?v=glance&s=books

I tagged along with my wife to an academic conference last month, where I met the author of her forthcoming biography, linked above. I'm planning on looking into a few short stories to see if they'll be helpful for the creative writing class I'm teaching in the fall. Most likely not, since "subtle and emotionally complex" is a bit too much to ask from students in an introductory class.

7. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    It's good you are keeping your expectations low, teach:)

First time creative writers know what subtle and complex is because they have read it. They just can't write it.

At least one of her stories would be good for them. Mostly because the writing is clear.

8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Actually, I probably should've included a winky. I'm always looking for short stories that do emotional complexity, but which feature action as well, because what you usually get in beginning CW classes (and I've inflicted it on people, myself) are stories where someone sits around thinking a lot, but not doing anything. One of the best stories I can think of where someone sits around thinking a lot, but which is also very dramatic, is Andre Dubus' "A Father's Story."

Fitting for this thread, since I think his work is essential reading. (That's Andre Dubus, the father of House of Sand and Fog author Andre Dubus III, whose work, at least so far, isn't essential reading IMO).

9. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Have you tried teaching Joyce's "Araby"?

10. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I haven't. I have a rule (which I violate 4-6 times per semester, easily) for my introductory classes where I keep things pretty much contemporary, largely because many of the students at this particular school have never read anything serious by an author who was alive while they've been alive. That said, Chekhov and Kafka make regular appearances on the reading list. And after reading "Araby" during lunch today, I can see where it might be a good idea this fall, especially since 14 out of 15 students in the class are male, and the experience is probably something that the 18-21 year old guys can relate to.

11. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    I would just make them read "Big Two Hearted River" over and over again, and tell them they have to read it yet again if they don't accurately describe why the story is subtle and complex to your satisfaction.

12. MDFootball

MDFootball New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    DC
    Like fantasy anyone?

Read the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan....just finished number 5, starting 6, damn it just keeps getting better and better....

13. cbg015

cbg015 Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Oakland, CA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie

14. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
  16. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    I absolutely love the Foundation books, but I don't know that I'd call them "necessary to read." The writing style Asimov uses in these books (Foundation and Empire in particular) has grated on some people I know. The style is brilliant, but it's not going to impress everyone. Incidentally, I spotted an interesting news bit on Asimov a while ago. Did anyone else see that his wife revealed that he died from AIDS?

17. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I doubt any book is "nesessary to read," but I agree that Asimov had his flaws. Arguably, his greatest talent was in the area of popular science.

Several years ago I read that he died of AIDS from a blood transfusion. Given his political orientation, I was surprised that he kept it a secret. I suppose homophobia is firmly ingrained in our culture to the point where even the most liberal "straights" among us wouldn't want to be considered gay.

18. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    True. I went through a phase back in high school where I tried to create Asimov fans. I would push his books at anyone who slowed down near me. I love his short stories and letters. A student teacher I had in 11th grade gave me a copy of the book of letters Asimov's brother put together after Isaac died. Asimov was arrogant and sarcastic, but he was also funny as all hell. If you see that book (I think it was titled "Yours, Isaac Asimov") it makes for a great coffee table book.

True, I guess. Though to be fair, he died in the early 1990's and he contracted the disease in (I think) 1984. Back then, it likely would have been automatically assumed that he caught it from being gay.

19. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    Yes.

Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl (The first half is autobiographical, second half is more technical, related to logotheraphy.)

Someone mentioned Salinger, Nine Stories is good. "Perfect Day for a Bananafish" is one of my all-time favorite short stories.

Other miscellaneous (not mentioned yet, I think):
    Ayn Rand's We the Living. Less philosophical, more autobiographical
    Red Badge of Courage, Stephen Crane. Some good thoughts on war
    The Promise, The Chosen, Chaim Potok. Set in Orthodox Jewish community but the struggles transcend that community and time period.

Leon Uris can be a good read. Try QBVII or The Haj, although I think The Exodus is probably his most famous work.

For fun:
    Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams

Guilty pleasure:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, Stephen Covey

20. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    I was too freaked out after the first 3 pages to continue reading. For some reason I didn't quite take to it and I have very little interest in revisiting it for another try anytime soon.

Chronicle of a Death Foretold is very very high on my list of favorite books.

21. LiverpoolFanatic

Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For non-fiction book I highly recommend Dr. Lester Grinspoon's
    Marijuana Reconsidered It sheds some light on the facts and myths surrounding the plant, and pretty much debunks most everything the government has ever said about it.

Not a hippy inspired book. Dr. Grinspoon has spent 30 years studying marijuana at Harvard.

Makes one think. If the government spends so much time and money lying about a plant, what esle are they lying about???

22. Batman

Batman Member

Sep 5, 2003
    South Bend, Indiana
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personal Favorite - Amusing ourselves to Death by Neil Postman

It's all about how we everything from news to church is nothing more than entertainment anymore...thanks to Sesame Street :)

23. LiverpoolFanatic

Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wanted to revive this thread a bit.

For a football book I recommend Faith of Our Fathers

24. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It's what Nick Hornby wishes Fever Pitch was.

25. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    My girlfriend got me into Julian Barnes, History of the World in 10 & 1/2 Chapters is great, as is Flaubert's Parrot, but that is a little headier. They may not be necessary, but they are quality.