"Bon dia a tots!": The Other Teams thread [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by inswinger, Aug 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  2. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Reports that Anthony Modeste is likely off to China. Not finalized yet but a club official says it's very close to done.
    Tianjin Quanjian to pay 35m euro fee. Alexandre Pato and Axel Witsel also at Tianjin.
    There's a new Chinese law that includes a 100% tax on all transfer fees but I'm guessing Cologne will see none of that (?)
    Still, a decent payday for Cologne but... damn, he'll be missed. :(

3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Players are just going to have to learn to play until they hear the whistle. You just know its gonna happen any day where the linesman's flag goes up, defenders stop, ref decides its close enough to play-on and the attacker slots the ball in the net unchallenged. Then they check the replay and the goal counts.

That'll cause an uproar, but hey... gotta play until you hear the whistle.

As for slowing the game down, well the sport most similar to soccer in terms of flow-of-play which also uses VAR is rugby. And VAR does slow that game down noticeably. There's just no debating that.

4. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't see them using VAR to review a play that has Been interrupted by the ref or linesman and where the team has lost an advantage because of the Game play stoppage .

5. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Playing to the whistle has always been preached.
    The referee cannot and should not allow VAR to enter his mind. He must trust his linesmen who are in a better position to judge. Otherwise, VAR is affecting the game more than it should and not in a positive sense.

Afaik, VAR is used in rugby specifically for tries and whether or not the ball was touched down.
    Soccer's equivalent is goal-line technology.

As for the issues of playing flow interrupted by throw-ins, corners, fouls, etc, we as fans accepted those as part of the game when we became fans of The Beautiful Game.
    VAR has its place if used as intended: “Minimum interference, maximum benefit”. Yet it seems every goal is being looked at.
    After Portugal's second goal I threw up my hands and thought, "What the hell could they possibly be looking at?!" There was nothing obvious that could have warrented a review. In the end the goal stood. Complete waste of time.
    Australia's second goal included a handball that benefited the Aussies. Yet the goal stood! Where's the outcry from those favoring VAR?
    And again, VAR is supposed to decide "was the decision clearly wrong?”, not “was the decision correct?”. If they're going to constantly ask the latter soccer will nearly have as many stop/starts as gridiron football.
    I maintain the Vargas goal should have stood.
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/confederation-cup-2017-referees.2046235/page-2#post-35574522

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    My contention with the Vargas goal standing, is at what point do you call the offsides "obvious" ? If there are shades of grey, they it will only cause confusion. For me, it needs to be black or white. A little offsides is offsides. Because if not, you start using subjectivity and we all know that will be a mess. That's why it would be great if they could incorporate true technology in offside calls. IMO no true advantage is gained by being only an inch offsides, but that's the technical definition of the rule.

7. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #5857 unclesox, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    If they can incorporate true technology into offside calls I'd would definitely be in favor. But how do you put sensors in knees?
    But I've never had a problem with shades of gray in offsides. One of a number of petty infringes that I've accepted when I began following the sport.

We've seen times when a corner kick is taken that the ball is a bit beyond the corner arc. The technical definition says the ball must be inside the arc.
    So if a goal is scored should VAR take the goal away? How about if a corner is cleared by the defence, kept in the attacking team's half and eventually scores?

Very early on in the Portugal-Mexico game a Mexican defender threw his elbow into the back of Nani's head. Nani stayed down for quite a while. A foul was given but it arguably should have been a red card. Not even a yellow was produced.
    No shouting from the VAR backers.

8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    First you define what VAR will be sued for. If it's just offsides, then it's just offsides period. And if it will be used, then it needs to be black / white IMO. I also don't have a problem with close call mistakes on offsides. But I feel if it is going to be used, then any offsides, no matter how small the margin is, needs to be called. Because if not, then you have to actually define what's obvious and what isn't. Or else you shouldn't use VAR at all.

I am not sure VAR will last because whatever technology is used, it needs to not leave any doubt of the call being made. And since it will be humans looking at a screen with not always the best angle, it may be destined to fail.

9. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Well, they have one year to work it all out if they plan on using it in the World Cup. And the way things stand now I feel VAR will cause more controversy than settle issues.

I think the Bundesliga plans on using VAR this coming season.

10. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Calendario update...

Sat 29 July: pre-season Clasico, FCB v LPB
    Mon 31 July: CR7 summoned to appear in Spanish court for tax evasion.

11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    fyi ... In rugby they'll review any questionable call that connects directly a possible scoring play (not just if the ball touched down). They'll also use it to judge bad tackles in the middle of the match (i.e. if it should be a red card, yellow, just a foul or no foul at all).

So its basically identical to how its being applied at the Confederations Cup. But of course rugby has more scoring plays than soccer so one would expect fewer delays in soccer.

12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The problem here though is that if we require it to always be black & white we have to begin with changing the offside law (or the way its interpreted). As long as a player can be considered not offside despite being "passive offside" there will always be some non-black&white calls.

Then there are the penalty decisions. Haven't seen VAR used for one recently but those are never/rarely black & white.

13. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    In what way does the offsides law have to be changed ? I don't think it has at all. Passive offsides will still remain as not offsides. I don't follow you.

For PKs I wouldn't use VAR. I don't think that has a solution. Unless in that case you use the being a reasonable doubt criteria. As in clearly no contact was made. Or else the refs call stands. But I agree that can get hairy. Not to mention hand balls.

14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I'm just pointing out that offside is not a black & white thing like the discussion in this thread seems to assuming. Passive offside is quite subjective.

The biggest hurdle VAR has to overcome is convincing fans that not every call will be made right just because VAR is implemented. I'm giving one type of call that will cause controversy. Then there are penalty decisions, which (correct me if I'm wrong) we haven't had so far in this Confederations' Cup. I don't think fans are prepared for it. They're already whining over the black & white decision to negate Chile's first half "goal" against Russia in a glorified friendly.

unclesox repped this.
  15. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Problem is they seem to be reviewing every scoring play, not just ones that are "clearly and obviously wrong".
    I also wonder... it probably takes roughly a minute for each VAR review. Is the time it takes for these reviews being added to injury time? I would think it should yet it's felt like it hasn't.

16. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't think passive offsides is that subjective. Those occasions are not that common. Player needs to make an attempt to play the ball or be in the view of the goalie during a shot.

The people whining on TV about that call are the same that have bitched for years about football not implementing technology. You will always hear people whining. This is exactly what most people were asking for.

17. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Screen Shot 06-21-17 at 02.04 PM.PNG

I really don't know how this call due to VAR can be criticized - I really don't want to see my team lie a goal back because this offside isn't called.

puyol, Deep Pal, afar and 2 others repped this.
  18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Perfect !!!

19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, its time they stop the bloody clock for certain things.

20. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    This is exactly what the confed cup should be about. Testing things and looking for improvements. Stopping the clock would be a good idea.

How is VAR initiated - does the ref have to ask for it himself if he is unsure, can the teams ask for it, or is it the var operator who decides?

celito repped this.
  21. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    As far as I know while a grave misjudgment does happen by the referee the video referee can contact him by himself. On the other hand the referee can ask the video referee to check his decisions when getting asked.

22. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #5872 unclesox, Jun 21, 2017
    But if your team went up a goal because this 'offside' wasn't called how anxious would you be for VAR to confirm the call?

[​IMG]
    It's close enough for me that a) the play isn't "clear and obvious", especially during live action that VAR should be required (I've always been of the opinion that if you need slow-motion/freeze frame to determine a call, give the benefit of the doubt to the attacking team referee's decision) and b) I wouldn't be bothered if my team went a goal down because this 'offside' wasn't called. aka Sh*t happens.

23. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    No comments so far on the use of VAR on Portugal's second goal v Mexico. What were they looking for?
    Nor on the Aussie handball goal v Germany. Should the goal have been allowed?

24. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #5874 unclesox, Jun 21, 2017
    Assuming the lines are correct, the one line is drawn to mark the defender's foot.
    For me, the defender's right elbow is beyond that line.
    Agree?

EDIT:
    I'll also reiterate this post from a respected member of the refereeing forum.
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/confederation-cup-2017-referees.2046235/page-2#post-35574522

25. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #5875 Dage, Jun 21, 2017
    The elbow is a part of the body that does not count. Only parts you are allowed to score with count.

the aussie goal: that was breast not arm, thanks to VAR (the referee was unsure).

the referee forum member errs in saying that offside never was a black/white decision. It was just not possible to call it black/white so they decided to use the rule as good as they could. Now, you can see if it's black or white because the field is exactly surveyed and they should use the video referee if a run like that leads to a possibly game deciding situation like a goal or even a penalty.

celito repped this.