Blessed sleep!

Discussion in 'Parenting & Family' started by Sachin, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife has psoriasis as well. I have prett fair and dry skin.

Our daughter has always been glazed like a ham after every bath w/ lotions, baby oils and other assorted things.

Her skin is prone to dry patches and some redness, but has hardly ever had diaper rash. She did have several patches of dry skin on her face, which we deduced was caused by the washcloths we were washing her face with after meals [possibly caused by detergent]. We started using paper towels and that cleared up.

Earlier I posted that proactive treatments are the best prevention and I'll stick witht hat statement. Any redness, dryness, or otherwise noticable change in skin texture is treated by us. Even with all the genes going against her, our daughter has great skin.

2. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lucky. My son is 18 mos. and he STILL wakes up at least once a night. I've been a zombie for a year and half.

3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Triple Paste rulez. A few smears of that on a baby's behind and you'll have no more rash. I even lube my car with it.

4. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of our children does the dry skin patch battle. It afflicts his face and his fingers. It really pains me to see the thick, reddened, cracking skin on his fingers. He knows to use a lot of lotion on his hands, but the face thing is tough to be proactive about

5. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    If it makes you feel any better there is a couple in Baltimore, MD zombied out too.;)

6. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know you have kids when you say to your spouse "I want to sleep with you" and mean it only in the literal sense.

7. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or you look at the clock, are shocked to see it's already 9 p.m. and ask each other 'what are doing staying up so late?'

8. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good heavens, that is so true.

I used to think I was an early riser until I had a son who wakes up at 6:30 every morning. Now that it's no longer my choice, I resent being up at that time, even though I used to wake up between 6 and 7 o'clock every day. Back then, darn it, I was being responsible. Now I'm practically being abused to get awaken at that time. :D

9. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Oliver finally started sleeping through the night over the weekend (with short crying spells around 2:00 AM). Man, that ruled.

10. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I forgot about this thread. She got sick in January for about 3 weeks and totally slid back to waking up every few hours. We tried the pacifier, but every time that fell out, she'd wake up again.

So this past weekend, we started the process of weaning her from it. Friday night, cried for nearly an hour before sleeping through the night. Saturday night, cried for more than an hour before falling asleep, only to wake up later.
    Last night, cried for a while, fell asleep, woke up when a tree branch hit our roof (no damage, just noise). We will win this battle of the wills. It's going to take a long time though.

Sachin

11. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got very lucky in the fact that my son never cared much for a pacifier. He didn't miss it at all. He gave up the bottle pretty easily too.

12. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Without even trying we have weaned our daughter off the bottle. She simply doesn't want to drink from one anymore. A sippy cup is more than enough for her. Now, her thumb that she can't be without when it comes to sleepy time.:rolleyes:

13. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lucky so far on that one too. He's not a thumbsucker. He's still a really light sleeper though and he's almost two. :eek:

14. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they want a pacifier, give it to them. Some may switch to a thumb, which can do some tooth-allignment damage. In either case, there are a lot worse problems. Most kids stop using their thumb by middle school, and most wouldn't be caught dead doing it after they hit elementary school.

There are more important battles to fight. :)

15. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    never used the pacifier and the bottle was gone in one try. we just stopped giving him a bottle, gave him a sippy cup instead and he never skipped a beat.

16. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of the newer kids cups have rubber "spouts" that allow for suckling. I think that helped us get past the bottle quickly.

As soon as I noticed her identifying what a pacifier was and intimating that she wanted it, I took it away. Immediately. Out of the blue, in the middle of the day. She cried for like 30 minutes and never gave a s- after that, not once.

She does have--and always had--the routine of going to bed with a receiving blanket. She teethed on one and now it's become a habit. About the only habit left to break at 2.2 years old. I'm dreading the tantrum she is going to throw over it. :(

17. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    So...we have started this new routine to get our 15 month old out of her newly developed "seperation-anxiety sleeping problem" Before, when she was younger, we would have dinner, bath, book reading, and a bottle. This would lead to her falling asleep on us downstairs and carrying her to her crib to sleep. Went wonderfully for about 3-4 months. Then the teething started and was immediately followed by a winter of many, many colds, which kept her out of a normal sleeping pattern. Anyhow *knocks on wood* her colds have subsided for the moment and we have started this new routine of saying "nighty night" and taking her upstairs after a bath etc. and waiting for her to relax then putting her in her crib and waiting for her to put her self to sleep. In the middle of the night when she wakes up (after about 6-7 hours of sleep) we simply enter her room and calm her down without taking her out of her crib. This approach produced massive crying fits at first, but in the past 2 days has really started to work. She gets her self back to sleep pretty easily now.

Of course now that I said this she will not sleep for a week.:rolleyes:

18. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds great, Pints!

I have been through various stages of sleep deprivation with my twins. We separated them for a while when they refused to sleep in cribs, but that left my 5-yr-old unwilling to share a room and hence sleeping in the play room. Now they're back together and we have a nice little routine: bath, stories, whatever, put them in bed, give them a drink... Then they play and refuse to sleep. Then one of them falls asleep and the other climbs on top of them, making them cry. We take the sleepy one out and put him in OUR bed (which he now knows is his real bed, not that one we start him in every night...) Then the other one cries and refuses to sleep. We pity him and pick him up, at which point he squirms down and goes running down the hall to play, at which point we stop pitying him and put him back in bed and ignore him until he eventually falls asleep. In the meantime, I get sleepy and can't go to bed because my bed is occupied until the other baby sleeps...

It may not be ideal, but at least we have our routine down. Life with twins is awesome. For more thrills, read my latest blog entry, "Barenaked Babies," at jhm2.blogspot.com.

19. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Sleep Update.

She is still doing well. Seems the "plan" worked well. She now sleeps from 7 or 8 until 5 or 6, every night.

Course she has entered the "terrible twos" earlier than expected.:D

20. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My experience was that the terrible twos started by 18 months (or earlier :eek:).

21. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    BINGO! she just turned 16 months.:D
    It seemed to coencide(sp) with her ability to walk.

22. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we've been lucky to avoid the terrible two's.
    of course, with that cocky statement I probably just jinxed myself and he'll go and fingerpaint the house.
    but so far, so good.

:)

23. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of painting the house, we've learned to lock away the crayons until further notice.

Thank heaven for Magic Erasers. :D

24. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aquadoodle and water pens. :)

Our daughter has hit this stage where she takes off her own diaper when wet or dirty. It's nice to see that she is getting cognizant of bathroom habits, but it's bad when we have to chase a naked baby around the house. Especially one who flings poo! :eek:

25. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    get the washable crayons. we haven't found anything they don't come off of yet. it's not like he's coloring the house, but he's got crayons on the floor/table/coffee table etc. when he's been coloring and accidently left the paper.

the work pretty well.
    the washable markers seem to come off his hands, arms and legs pretty well, too.