BL MD 16: BVB - Leipzig

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by hava, Dec 17, 2019.

1. astrophyz

astrophyz Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Boston, USA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    It's a very disappointing result, but I really like how we played. Three mistakes give them 3 goals. I don't know what you can do to stop such mistakes. I'm all for a psychologist if that is the problem.

In the grand scheme, given that we went through a very bad period this season, this game was a good sign that we can play 3-4-3 against a tougher team. I really think we were the better team throughout the game, and just gave them 3 gifts. Players should convince themselves of this, and believe in themselves more.

The only minor thing is that I would have managed the game differently towards the end. There were players that were tired and off towards the end, like Reus and Brandt. I would have brought in fresh legs earlier, even when we were up 3-2. Dahoud could have filled in for Brandt, Gotze for Reus. I also didn't like moving Hakimi up front. Gotze and Paco with fresh legs should have gotten a run at their less fresh defenders.

Or lack thereof! He needs to react faster.

I feel they would. If Zidane isn't in charge, I can definitely see their president selling him, if he won't bring him jersey money. For example: Keylor Navas.

Really? Did you read that somewhere? I thought they were just careful with him, since he injured himself on his first game back. I am not convinced, because I can definitely see him playing in this system. He is good at combining with other players.

2. astrophyz

astrophyz Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Boston, USA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    Sure they can play centrally together, for example in 4-2-3-1. Brandt would be one of the "2" and Reus the central one of the "3".

We definitely need a striker! Even if 3-4-3 is working well for us now, we must give ourselves the ability to change things up depending on circumstances.

And finally, actually Reus wouldn't be that bad at winger. Perhaps he would be even better than Hazard! I think before the switch to 4-2-3-1, it felt like it was a dogmatic belief that Reus must play as the #10. Why? In this case, change brought much better performances.

3. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    It could be that they are just careful but it's what I'm assuming because enough time should have passed after being on the bench the last 4 games after his injury to at least give him 15-30 minutes. Further, his usual replacement, Götze, isn't getting much playing time either. Instead, Alcacer only had a few minutes of playing time and was unused on the bench for 3 of those 4 games.
    Maybe it's a mix of both because he wasn't needed in some of these games. I thought he could have helped yesterday as both we and Leipzig were really tired in the last 10 minutes.

astrophyz repped this.
  4. astrophyz

astrophyz Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Boston, USA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    remember that Favre likes to minimize change! :)