BL Matchday 16: Mainz - BVB

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by hava, Dec 12, 2017.

1. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    BVB's log, stardate 47634.44. It is the first game of the post Bosz-ball era...

Bürki
    Toljan Sokratis Toprak Schmelzer
    Weigl
    Kagawa Guerreiro
    Yarmo Auba Pulisic

2. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Started watching five minutes or so and our possession game looks fairly stagnant, like one of those bad games under Tuchel.

3. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Auba just missed a decent chance there.

4. Quigs

Quigs Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Pulisic having a stinker so far

5. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Yeah, we have much possession but not much else besides Auba's opportunity. Not really a pleasure to watch. But babysteps I guess. As unsatisfying as it is, a draw is better than a loss and right now, we can be happy with the draw. Mainz are only waiting for counterattacks and mistakes on our part.

6. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Sokratis scores. 1:0.

Dave46 repped this.
  7. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    A 1-0 victory is fine by me to start Stöger's caretaking effort.

8. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Oh wow, Kagawa misses the deciding goal from not even 10 m after getting perfectly set up by Yarmo.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  9. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just get three points...

10. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Couple of points:

- Peter Bosz was a complete fraud. He literally lived off of rh exceptional work that Thomas Tuchel Bad left behind.
    - Schmelzer sucks really bad without exceptional coaching.
    - Gurreiro needs to be played as a LB.
    - Kagawa is the definition of a frustrating player. Someone who has the skills and the abilities but doesn't live upto it. On the contrary Castro is not a frustrating player. He is just flat out useless.

11. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, great unselfish play from Auba.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  12. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Stöger won't win a lot of plaudits for fluid and positive attacking play, but some defensive emphasis to grind out games might be what the team needs right now.

13. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    And now Kagawa gets his goal. Credit to Auba for the effort and for being a team player.

14. Quigs

Quigs Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Awful stuff , terrible execution on front of goal again and again . This should help confidence though , which is clearly shot .

15. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    In Götze's absence, MoM is Jeremy Toljan. Overall, the midfield was excellent. Defence could be better but we got a clean sheet. Looking forward to seeing wins from now on since we have a real coach.

16. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    BTW Nagelsmann was watching BVB Play from the stands. He wanted to see who he would ask Aki to get rid of. I hope Toprak, Sahin and Schmelzer are in that list of his right after Schürrle and Rode.

kbvb repped this.
  17. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Result is good, but it was a strange game. Could have been another loss, but we also could have scored 5.
    Not the prettiest match, but I don't think that this is what Stöger's philosophy will be. It looks more controlled but the team still struggled. Auba's example showed what an impact just a few good scenes can have for your confidence.

Dahoud is still really off, though. It's great to finally have someone in that position who thinks about making a forward pass, but some of his passes or decisions were headscratchers.

18. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Not sure if we watched the same game but his 1 on 1 defending was atrocious and this has been the case in most games he's featured in this season. Maybe is due to a lack of confidence but his game does not inspire any confidence at all. He was decent going forward but needs to be more aggressive and trust his athleticism more but defensively he leaves a lot to be desired.

19. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Yarmolenko had a great game today as he was everywhere on the pitch especially his defensive work today. The one big thing Stoeger will need to get the team to focus on is defensive backtracking by the midfielders especially down our left flank as Guerreiro and Pulisic really struggle with this aspect which was a big factor in the first half where Mainz were able to get through to our 16-yard box with ease every time they got the ball.

20. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think Mo needs a good coach and he's finally got one. Perhaps we are all being overly critical. Let's give them all some time with PS and see what comes of it.

21. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Class act:

Hellmann: ... besseres Spielermaterial ... (better tools)
    Stöger: Spieler sind kein Material. (players aren tools)
    Hellmann: Naja, Sie wissen ja, was ich meine. (you know what I mean)
    Stöger: Sie wissen auch, was *ich* meine. (you also know what I mean)

Liquid1010 repped this.
  22. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    #22 hava, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    To be more clear, I was rather commenting on Dahoud's current form, I'm not doubting his abilities. This is similar to Bartra's series of bad games last season when he made mistakes that were surprising, to put it mildly, but they were the kind of mistakes that weren't indicative of the player's quality under normal circumstances.

As for Toljan, if I had to choose a Top 3 of things where Bosz failed, he would be in it. The moment Piszczek got injured should have been the last signal to spend every minute in training to prepare him and give him as much playing time as possible on the RB position. When Klopp can convert strikers into FBs, we could have surely helped him to improve on his positional weaknesses.
    Maybe it's just subjective but for me it also feels that the way he was utilized in regards to when he was benched and when he got playing time to gain confidence in contrast to playing time against top teams was not optimal.

23. BvB_Peon

BvB_Peon Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    No PB and voila a W ensues... lol

24. Liquid1010

Liquid1010 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Weigl throwing shade.... and I love it!

940696959937064963 is not a valid tweet id

25. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    All this does is further highlight how incompetent the management were in firstly hiring Bosz and then taking so long to do the blatantly obvious and fire him.

Completely inexcusable and could have seriously damaged the development of the likes of Weigl, Dahoud and Toljan had it gone on any longer, which incredibly was a possibility up until the Werder match.

Glad some sense was finally seen but how long before the management ********s up again?