BL Match 4: VfB Stuttgart vs VfL Wolfsburg, Sep 16 [R]

Discussion in 'VfB Stuttgart' started by el americano, Sep 16, 2017.

1. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VfB Stuttgart vs VfL Wolfsburg
    Bundesliga
    Saturday, September 16, 3:30 PM
    Mercedes-Benz Arena

Injured:
    Mangala, Badstuber, Grgic, Ginczek, Insua (VfB), Gomez (VfL)

Referee: ?

TV:
    FuboTV, Fox Soccer 2, 6:30AM PST 9:30PM EST
    VfBTV after the match

This was played this morning. I would have liked to see Mario Gomez, but he is the one confirmed injury I have for Wolfsburg. I hope playing at home will get us back to progressing, but I think all the injuries are holding us back. Let's go!

2. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your wish was VfB's command! :)

A solid 1-0 win for Stuttgart via a goal from Akolo, his second of the season. Even without Badstuber, the defense held up, but then Gomez didn't play for Wolfsburg, and their attack was pretty anemic.

What is very worrying is that Gentner, in the penalty area, took a knee to the temple from Casteels, the Wolfsburg keeper in the 84th minute. He was out on the ground, was carted out of the stadium, and required 8 minutes of stoppage time. VfB had the penalty claim denied! :eek:

It's too early to tell how long will it take him to come back from such an assault. :mad:

After this second win at home, VfB sit in 9th place in the table. If they can keep winning some home games, and stealing an occasional point on the road, they can hang in mid-table, which is about as much as I can ask for, this season. But Terrode seriously needs to start lighting the lamp!

gmonsoon43 and el americano repped this.
  3. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Medical report on Gentner (per Jens1893 - not sure of source): A severe concussion, nose bone, side and lower eye orbit, and upper jaw broken.
    Praying for a complete and speedy recovery, but with an injury this bad, there may not be either. :(
    Get well soon Gente! :thumbsup:

el americano repped this.
  4. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4 el americano, Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    Video replay failed us there. Genter may find he's lost his place once he's healed. I only wish the best for our captain. Akolo squandered some chances, but at least he's making the chances. You have to wonder why Terodde is so invisible. Credit to the boys for seeing that out 1-0. I was skeptical of that 3 at the back formation, I'm not sure it helped as the midfield looked confused at times, but individual quality was with us. In Wolf we trust.

EDIT: Insult to injury, not only did they not get a card, we had to finish the match with 10 men, because we were out of substitutions. Brave defending and missed chances preserved the win. :eek:

gmonsoon43 and Winoman repped this.
  5. gmonsoon43

gmonsoon43 Member

Jun 17, 2008
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was hoping to watch the game as it was supposed to be on FS2. For whatever reason it was a different game that was on.

Thanks for the analysis!

The brief write up on the Bundesliga app said that Donis and Ascacibar were the best players on the field, is that accurate? I know Donis looked dangerous late against Schalke last round.

Hope Gentner can recover from the gruesome injury.

6. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's an official update from VfB's website, re: CG:

http://www.vfb.de/en/vfb/latest/news/professionals/2017/christian-gentner-verletzung/

el americano repped this.
  7. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More info re: CG from the Stuttgarter Nachrichten:

[​IMG]

1) Severe brain concussion
    2) Fractured Nasal bone
    3) Fractures of the lateral and lower orbital floor
    4) Fractured maxilla

8. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Incredible that the match was not stopped immediately. Fortunately the team doctor did not wait for play to be interrupted as Gentner had swallowed his tongue and was suffocating on the field. The damn ref didn't even call for the video assistant referee while Gentner was being stretchered off. Almost killing your opponent is a yellow, right? :mad:

gmonsoon43 and Winoman repped this.
  9. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that the play wasn't halted immediately was unconscionable. The VAR issue was obviously secondary, but while they had an eight minute delay, that could have been used, too.