Birmingham USL team?

Discussion in 'USL Expansion' started by Bisquick_in_da_MGM, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Yep. But, they are trying to get something up and running.

2. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    The Hammers are having try outs today.

3. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Birmingham Hammers will have kit party at Good Peoples Brewery on May 5!!!

4. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think regional leagues like that are the future of amateur soccer in the US. In the name of self preservation, the NPSL and PDL should merge now, creating large regional conferences.

On a side note, check out the Great Lakes website some time. It's more professionally done then the NPSL and PDL websites, and most of the team logos are better then better then those leagues teams too.

brentgoulet and ThePonchat repped this.
  5. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I don't understand the difference between playing in the Great Lakes Premier League and a region/conference in the NPSL/PDL. The travel looks more or less the same. Do PDL/NPSL teams play out of the conference/region regularly or just in the post season tournament?

I guess if you wanted a bit more say in how the league runs you'd not have as many owners voicing opinions in a smaller group, but it seems to be that the PDL and NPSL are more or less mutiple regional leagues under one umbrella that gives you the benefit of a national tournament at the end of a very short season.

Either way, the more "regional" you make a league (with or without a national footprint) helps keeps costs down and allows players with jobs to play more games if the travel is reduced as much as possible.

Between the GLPL, PDL and NPSL, you'd have 7 teams in Michigan ... but all of those teams travel out of the state to fill a small schedule. Either way, I don't understand the big difference between a bunch of regional leagues and a bigger national league divided into regions. So I'm not sure why one is the future and isn't.

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always love when people advocate what they think is a simple solution to a problem and ignore the reasons why it's not so simple.

A pro team losing a ton of money doesn't just stop losing a ton of money because their league puts a "regional rival" near them. A team that loses three in a row doesn't just bench and/or fire everybody. And two leagues with no compelling reason to merge don't have to merge because anonymous internet guys think they should and it will solve all their problems.

With a few notable exceptions, the NPSL is borderline farcical. The PDL has been, arguably, USL, Inc.'s most successful property, as it offers (as was explained to me) pretty good steady revenue without a lot of maintenance. It serves its purpose, the season is short, it has players go through it that go on to do things and it doesn't cause a lot of consternation.

The NPSL is largely unorganized or disorganized and today's regional rival is a fairly good bet to not be in existence in a year, as the NPSL's failure rate exceeds that of the PDL. You wouldn't in a million years in a rational way think that merging with someone who brought almost nothing to the table except warm bodies would be a good idea.

Not usually, no. The Pac NW NPSL teams have to go down to California because there are only a couple of teams up in their neck of the woods, but almost all of the other NPSL and PDL groupings have short schedules in which the teams play almost exclusively or exclusively within the groups.

Because something that isn't being done or a player who isn't currently playing or a system that isn't currently being used will often be put forth as "the future" when it is really just "not what we're currently doing because its true efficacy is unknown."

7. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of the main differences is cost. I believe the yearly fees for GLPL are $1,500. Compare that to NPSL (around $3,500-4,500) and PDL ($10,000 maybe). I'm not sure if there is even a "franchise fee" in GLPL to get a team rolling.

The GLPL is looking at expanding to keep teams even more regional. So, teams getting added in Wisconsin and Illinois, add more there to keep them playing locally instead of traveling into Michigan. If they were to add teams in Ohio, then there's just another branch. Essentially, if you can keep teams within 1 hour-3 hours apart from each other, then it's MUCH better than the travel that many NPSL/PDL divisions/conferences require.

There's a regional league in Florida, Champions Soccer League USA. There was one in Minnesota starting, but I can't seem to find it now. Texas has Texas Premier Soccer League.

To me, just making it affordable, reasonable, and high level is the goal. No need to charge so much and really travel so far if you don't have to. Look at all these "adult soccer leagues" around the country that are affiliated with USASA. We have plenty of places to play and plenty of teams if clubs would just utilize the opportunities. There doesn't really need to be a "national tournament" for these amateur leagues that exist for 2.5 months. The clubs are built on college players, a lot of times. They just need more fitness, touches on a ball, and competition. As long as they are playing and training, the leagues serve their purpose.

TLDR: cheaper and more reasonable for individuals to invest in. No real need to compete nationally if the club is serving a role in player development, training, fitness, and exposure locally/regionally.

8. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    80% or more PDL/NPSL teams don't "compete nationally". So I'm not sure there's a big reduction in costs associated with "regional".

The fact that you said they want to expand to be more regional ... so they're expanding in their current footprint? If not ... it becomes "less" regional when you expand.

I'm sure there are some NPSL teams that would fit in well with the local adult league ... but that doesn't mean they don't fit in currently in the NPSL (same with PDL teams).

The PDL and NPSL may eventually find themselves without a lot of teams ... but until then, they are under no pressure to do anything different. If they lose all of the good organizations in medium sized markets to the USL or NASL ... and some of their lesser estabilished teams drop to the local leagues ... AND they don't get any more interested "expansion" teams to fill in the holes ... sure, they could become less viable. But I'm not sure the local leagues provide anymore "fitness, touches on the ball, competition" than the PDL/NPSL. In fact, I'm pretty sure they don't ... at least as they're currently constructed.

If there are the regional leagues that comprise of older players that have "day jobs" and less on college kids on summer break, extend the season ... sure, you could make that arguement ... but right now, it doesn't appear that's the case.

9. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teams in Michigan playing Michigan teams, Illinois playing Illinois teams, and Wisconsin teams playing Wisconsin teams is a lot more local/regional than teams from Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas all playing in one conference "regionally."

The way I have understood the GLPL is, they won't expand just to allow teams in. They want to ensure travel and costs are kept to a minimum. You can travel all over the state of Ohio in 3 hours or so from corner to corner. That sure beats going from Cincinnati to Buffalo for a game. Or, as it was already noted...the PNW conference and its travel.

That's fine they don't feel they are under pressure, but with these other models...they could be easily. Regional leagues are needed, and they are utilized all over the world. The English system is like 28 tiers deep with those below the professional ranks playing very local. It can and does work. It really has worked here in the States, the USASA system has many local leagues that provide great competition (Cal FC for example).

Local leagues fill the gap that PDL/NPSL don't. What's that gap? Players playing! There are 120ish PDL/NPSL teams. There's 1000+ colleges/universities in the country that have players that could utilize extra fitness, touches, and competition over the summer. How is roughly 3000 (25 players X 120 teams) roster spots going to fill the developmental gap for 25000 (25 players x 1000 colleges/universities) possible players -- not included is ex-college/university players, international players, and even talented enough pre-college players?

Again, the more possibilities to make viable, affordable soccer options is needed. If these teams are doing things right, they could even make a run for the USOC if they wanted. For those 20% of NPSL/PDL teams that do get a chance for the USOC (more like postseason play for their teams), these regional leagues could be an option for many more players to see the USOC that may not get the chance through NPSL/PDL.

That's what could happen. That's how the Champions Soccer League USA operates. They have their "championship" season during the summer for amateur college players able to compete in, then they have their "pro" season for adults to participate in. With more emphasis in this model, there could be some very major development in US soccer at all ages.

10. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But that "Michigan playing Michigan teams" etc. is in the future ... that model doesn't "exist" now. At least the GLPL is only 5 teams, 3 on Michigan, one in Illinois, one in Wisconsin as I see it. So if it ever does get to that point, sure ... but as of right now ... that option doesn't really exist (or it's very rare).

11. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A model that doesn't exist yet ... right?

12. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way I understand what GLPL is doing, that is what they are pushing for. If not, at least it seems costs are much lower there than NPSL/PDL -- which could be a much viable option for several clubs. It may not take much to see more in that area jump to the GLPL if it becomes the nice option it seems to be right now. Or, it could attract new clubs that don't exist right now that just don't see NPSL/PDL as a feasible option financially.
    The model does exist, other leagues are making viable options for high-level soccer players. Look at what teams like Cal FC, Schwaben AC, and RWB Adria have done. I'm sure there are others, but those are the most recent ones I can think of that include quality players and provide an atmosphere outside of what NPSL/PDL provide.

These leagues are just utilizing USASA as a viable option for high-level competition while also pushing for USOC possibilities. There are numerous states that have never had a single team try to get into USOC. Other states have only one or two ever try to get there (Kansas being one of those, I believe the KC Athletics are the only team from Kansas to utilize USASA as its option to compete higher than a Sunday league).

13. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    The Hammers are having their kit release party. Buy yours today.

14. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    The Birmingham Hammers played their first game today versus Nashville FC.

15. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1506465_487688004712171_429536315528248088_n.jpg 11188253_487688028045502_4728772552382955065_n.jpg

16. BEERXXEDGE

BEERXXEDGE New Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I was there. Good game

Bisquick_in_da_MGM repped this.
  17. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
    Great team name. It is not generic but has a name Hammers that any soccer fan can connect with it.

Bisquick_in_da_MGM repped this.
  18. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if any of you play football manager but I requested these over @ fm view and thought I would share hammers_h_zpstj5vkogf.png hammers_a_zpskknaw5ag.png hammers_3_zpsotpirpup.png

19. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
  20. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a text based soccer simulation game

21. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really like that Green colored Alt, though I'm a little disappointed that they have gone with generic Red and White. A Red and Yellow Galatasaray like scheme would have been sweet

roxbury repped this.
  22. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it looks white doesn't it ? it's actualy grey or silver

23. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Birmingham, Al number 6 in ratings for USA v. Panama.

24. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    USWNT to play in Birmingham on September 20.

25. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Birmingham has sold over 30,000 tickets for the USWNT game. This is during college football season.

brentgoulet repped this.