Birmingham, AL: USA vs. Guatemala WCQ Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by nicodemus, Dec 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

2. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    Southern man better keep your head. Don't forget what your good book says...

3. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I hope Neil Young will remember, a Southern man don't need him around anyhow...

:D

4. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, the Days Inn (map here) is about one block north of the interstate. I was thinking "bad as in Fallujah" or "bad as in depressed urban area"? Most chain hotels near interstates should be alright at least in my prior experience. As long as you have to pass the front desk to reach the room, I don't expect problems. Unless someone thinks I'm placing my family's well-being at stake (please speak up), I'm inclined not to cancel and rebook elsewhere.

5. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definately not Fallujah bad. :D Just a really depressed urban area. You'll see what I'm talking about when you get there, but it's one of those things were it gets worse as you go over the hill on US-78 (Arkadelphia Rd) towards Legion Field. Being close to the interstate isn't a big deal. Especially since you all aren't going to be trying to find stuff to do and be wandering around outside after the match. You'll be fine there, now that I see that map. It's one of those things where it just kind of gets worse the closer you get to the stadium. I just suggested those other places because there's much more to eat and do in that 5 Points South/Southside neighborhood (and it is safer.) If you're just looking for a place to crash though, that'll do the trick.

6. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When driving from Chattanooga to the Ecuador friendly in 2002, I vaguely remember a hill after taking the exit off the interstate. While waiting at the light turning left onto Arkadelphia, I got the impression that the right (north) side of my view was a little cleaner. As I turned left and drove under the underpass, everything turned to crap.

Thanks, man. I'll stay at the Days Inn then. (It's a good deal at $60.) Here's some rep for the help. :)

Like the rest of us, next step is to nail down some tickets. By then, my son will be 4 years old and daughter will be 10 months. Wonder if I'll have to pay top price for them. [rubs chin]

7. Jumbo1

Jumbo1 Member

Feb 19, 2000
    TN.
    This match might coincide with a big soccer tournament, The Vulcan Cup, so I would check the hotel occupancies very soon. I know Southwest Airlines flies to Birmingham, so if you live close to one of the ariports they service you could fly there for less than $200 from anywhere, including the west coast. I would bet if you do their 14 day advance purchase you could fly to Birmingham for less than $150 roundtrip from a lot of places in the country. When I am in Birmingham I stay south of the city in Homewood, can't remember but maybe it's highway 280, south of Lakeshore drive? Anyway, five points is not a far drive from there, and Legions field isn't far either. I would think a 15-20 minute drive. The airport is on the east side of the city, and there is a 65 loop, think it's 4-65, around the southern and eastern half of Birmingham which makes it easy to get to homewood, or is it brookmeade? 5 points is defeinately the place to go at night for a pint or two! Pretty sure some places are open past 3:00am. I remember the US team staying in one of the hotels on 280, but forgot which one ;-).

8. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is correct. There are no blue laws in Birmingham that make them shut down by a certain hour. They shut down when they want to, not because they have to. (Saturday night is the exception to that rule, and then it's 2AM...and even that can be gotten around if it become a "private" club at 2AM) Many places like Bailey's, Marty's, The Nick, Formaggio, etc. stay open 'til sunrise.

9. MD20/20

MD20/20 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Hampton Inn, mostly
    Vulcan Cup (http://www.vulcancup.com) is two weekends earlier (March 12/13). It is a big youth tournament, that's for sure. Not as big as Atlanta Cup or WAGS but 200+ high-rated teams is a lot for Birmingham.

10. MD20/20

MD20/20 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Hampton Inn, mostly
    The US women have stayed at the Marriott on US 280 near I-459 the last two times they have visited.

11. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Alabama national guard is going to the game then we might have to worry

12. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks for the Southwest idea can fly direct from Hartford for, at most, $200

13. Jumbo1

Jumbo1 Member

Feb 19, 2000
    TN.
    The men stayed at the Marriot last time, if memory serves. Southwest is definately the way to go...if your in New York, I think they fly out of Islip, and Philly. I might have to drive down for this one.

14. rkeane15

rkeane15 New Member

Jan 25, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Any idea on where they will be practicing? I woudnt mind seeing a practice or two.

15. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The women practiced at the 96 Fields in Shelby County, which is down US-280. The men may possibly train at UAB's West Campus Field.

16. rumbum

rumbum New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    No, the best grits in town are at Frank Stitt's place in Five Points (Highland Grill)... with parmesan, assorted mushrooms, and some sauce that should not be legal. Probably ought to avoid buying the extra souvenir at the stadium, though. Dinner will run you about $150 a head.

Can't wait for the match. I moved to town a few months back from South Florida and only got to see the U20s there. I had to move to Alabama to see the full nat side!

17. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've eaten at Highland's but I don't remember it being that expensive. Of course, I wasn't paying, so I don't really recall either :D I can tell you this much though, it was awesome.

18. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    I would guess that UAB would be the main option. Getman is a USSF Region 3 staff coach for whatever that is worth.

19. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    welcome to the Magic City!

20. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    This will be a beautiful city for Guatemala to visit. I just wonder if there will be a US team to take the field and play with them when the whistle blows.

21. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The pics of Birmingham look good, looks like a well kept city. I just am curious, what is the history of the USSF holding WCQ's there? What led to this choice for the first home game?
    I mean no disrespect, this choice surprised me. I figured a colder area for the first game.

22. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Are there any plans for Operation "Keep the enemy up all night" ?

23. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the city's first World Cup Qualifier, but I suppose it is based on good showing for previous friendlies. In 2002, there were 25,000 for a friendly with Ecuador. In 2000, roughly 20,000 for a friendly against Tunisia. They've also had a few women's games that have drawn over 10K each. The USSF's history with Birmingham began when Birmingham put in a bid to host soccer at the 96, Atlanta Olympics. The USOC (and I assume the USSF) were so blown away at the reception they were thrown in Birmingham, that we were awarded 11 matches (men's and women's.) Birmingham was host to two of the USA's first round games. One of those was against Argentina. It was a sellout of 81,000+ and the ENTIRE place was cheering for the USA. That's probably the one of the only times Bruce Arena and some of those players have experienced that in this country. I'll never forget that game. The US scored in about 45 seconds and that place friggin' erupted. It was electric. Granted we lost the game 3-1, but I don't think any soccer fan that was in that stadium will ever forget that. Especially when you've been to some of the many "away" matches here in the US. They also faced Tunisia in the opening round and won that match in front of over 50,000 in absolutely pouring down rain.

Believe me, we Birminghamians are just as suprised as you. (Yeah, I live in Florida, but that's just geography, I'm from Birmingham.)

It could be quite cold at night that time of year. Not as cold as Columbus or Chicago by any means, but way colder than the Guatemalans are used to I'm sure. We've had snow as late as April in Birmingham, so it could be quite chilly. About 10 years ago, it snowed 14 inches in one day in Birmingham in March. Of course, it could also be 75 degrees. It's a very unpredicatable time of year weather-wise.

24. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been thinking about that. I'm going to be in Birmingham early for that and staying with my brother. All of my "soccer hooligan" friends are devising activities for the game. Perhaps that should be amongst them.

We're also working on a get together at a bar in Southside.

25. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    good. whatever you folks wind up doing, just call it "Operation Gringo".