Birchall NOT Returning

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by banbaseball, Feb 6, 2012.

1. banbaseball

banbaseball Member

Oct 10, 2000
    East of the Bay
  2. Namrog The Just

Namrog The Just Member+

L.A. Galaxy
    United States
    Jul 2, 2007
    Baltimore County, Maryland
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I wish him nothing but the best, I must admit I'm not exactly disappointed.

3. esco300

esco300 Member+

May 8, 2011
    Seattle
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im not Disappointed either , tho he did have some good playing moments he was just taking up space. Bruce shouldn't have any problems finding his replacement hopefully another on Loan player from Europe or a future American star :cool:

4. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got to say that he is pure class on his twitter account.

He never seemed to hit full stride in his 3 years with us. Am I the only one who felt that? I always thought he had another gear but could never get there with us.

I would not be shocked if another MLS team takes a shot at him. Surely he could go back to England and make as much or more playing in the lower divisions if he wanted to.

5. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Birchall always gave his all - I enjoyed having him on the team. He would probably be back if he hadn't taken time to explore his options, and just signed up a la Sean Franklin, but I certainly don't blame him. These guys have short careers, and I'm sure he's missed his home. All the best, Chris, you'll always be part of our 2011 championship year.

6. mparker

mparker Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Section 141 Row G
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is he lands with another MLS team...

...and like other former Galaxy players that have preceded him, he will score on the Galaxy at home.

7. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I thought Birchall was his best his first full season with us. He had some good moments at defensive mid and right wing in 2009, although those are distant memories. His passing accuracy actually seemed to deteriorate in 2010 & 2011. And it's too bad all those hopeful shots at distance missed their target this last season.

I wish the lad well though. Always seemed like at team player and a cool guy.

8. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck in your future endeavors Birchall. I'm sure you'll land on your feet somewhere. When you do, tell them you want to play defensive center midfielder, and not winger.

"Space is high, mate"

9. LA_YANK_10

LA_YANK_10 Member+

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Tebow is more accurate than Birchy

10. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Birchall was a pretty decent defending mid for us. Bruce wanted to get Birchall playing time so he put him at RM but that obviously wasn't his best spot. Sad to see we lost him. He is a great depth guy to have.

11. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Birchall was a good signing when we were playing the destroyer style of defensive mid and we needed someone to replace Dema Kovalenko. That was when we played Beckham out on the right side of midfield. Once we moved to a system with Beckham in the center where we needed a box to box midfielder who played off of David, moving forward and back, depending upon where he was, Birchall was not as good a fit.

12. juniorLA

juniorLA Member

Mar 4, 2008
    El Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll miss you Chris. The team could always count on you to leave it all on the field, each and every time you played, 100% effort, heart and soul, whether in the middle or on the right.

13. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So long and thanks for all the fish and chips, Chris.

14. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clever Hitchhiker references are rep-worthy, but I need to spread some yadda-yadda-yadda

15. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I got that feeling too, that he spent a little too much time on the fence and it made him the odd man out. I would very much have liked to have had him for depth, but with our current style Stephens probably is a cheaper option as a backup. Still too bad for us and the league to see a team player who fit in well move on because of salary cap.

16. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. Good luck CB.