Bill Hamid

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by LouisianaViking07/09, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Robles isn't awesome, though. He's consistent, and he can distribute. Not a bad combination. A guy who should be in the pool, but I don't see him as the #1, or even the #2, but rather one of a clutch of guys who could be #3.

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Hamid making errors has to be the most over talked about attribute of any player in our player pool. I've read about plenty of errors by Howard and Guzan from Everton and Aston Villa fans. Why not add that into their scouting reports?

3. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget, he's always hurt too. With the 78 of 102 (76.5%) MLS matches Hamid has played the last 3 seasons, don't see when there was an opportunity for Klinsmann to give him a shot. Spots need to be reserved for players who can reliably stay healthy, like Jozy and JJ.

4. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Well because USS, Hamid is the challenger, incumbents get the benefit of the doubt. Not fair but that is life

5. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guzan is not playing. It will probably makes mistakes if he is relied upon because of it.

Hamid just needs to have a good January camp.

6. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Funny when you root for someone, injuries are bad luck. Stu Holden had 'bad luck' when we really wanted him to be the CM of the USMNT.

3 knee surgeries later, he was injury prone.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I will say, I think we've seen the last of Yarborough.

6 ft. Leprechaun repped this.
  8. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's bad luck either way, whether it's an anomaly or trend. Of course one injury can beget another. Or they can be multiple isolated cases that will resolve over time.

9. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Still makes you 'injury prone.'

10. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's true in a semantics' sense. But I don't know if his past injuries are predictors of future ones, and as I've said I think the injury problems are over-played given he's played a high majority of matches the last few years.

11. PhillyandBCEagles

Jul 9, 2012
    NC
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    My point with calling his injury issues "bad luck" was that with the possible exception of the most recent one they haven't been the type of injuries that carry increased risk of recurrence, if I'm not mistaken.

12. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Yeah, he and Orozco I think are done.

Deadtigers repped this.
  13. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Bill Hamid gets more of a shot under Arena. I think he's good enough to compete for the #1 role, especially with Brad Guzan riding the bench.

14. Sylvius

Sylvius Member

Jul 18, 2013
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As someone who has followed Hamid since the beginning of his career, I can say that he is talented but more or less offers what Guzan does. At his best, he may be a better shot stopper. With that said, his composure with the ball at his feet and distribution is potentially even worse than Guzan's. Unless he can improve substantially there, I'm not super excited about him for the Nats. Thrilled to have him for DCU, though.

15. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    Hamid's injuries have really slowed him down. I think without them he would be playing overseas and probably our lock #1 right now. He makes those saves where you just think "how in the world did he do that?"

But hey, that is how it goes in professional sports. Injuries have the biggest impact on who wins the Super Bowl every year.

16. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea who, of the MLS keepers, is presently best. But, I suspect that Arena has a mental list of #1-5 given that he has seen them all in action many times. Moreover, he was a pretty good keeper himself.

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Taylor Twellman has routinely said that when he talks to MLS coaches about the best keeper in MLS, the name mentioned the most is Hamid. Arena might've not been one of those coaches, but MLS coaches seem to recognize Hamid as the best keeper in MLS.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  18. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    Where's Frank Borghi when you need him?

russ repped this.
  19. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Remember, Arena does not worship eurosoccer. Not playing is not playing. If Guzman doesn't play for club, he won't start for USA.

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    whys that?

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    how many games has he missed over the last few years? from some folks it seems he missed like 1/3 of the season

tbonepat11 repped this.
  22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Howard and Guzan went abroad after what 3/4 years of MLS?

23. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    because in the real world, he would rank below at least half of the MLS goalkeepers.

Marko72, tomásbernal and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  24. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    What does he provide over any MLS keeper?

25. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1/3 sounds right.

He has played in 45 of the last 68 games.