BigSoccer's Players of the Season: 1967-68

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Tom Stevens, Mar 27, 2019.

1. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Well as much as anything it's the absence of strong alternatives. He was player of the year in France and very few others had particularly strong seasons.

schwuppe repped this.
  2. Ariaga II

Ariaga II Member

Dec 8, 2018
    My team:
    Pantelic; Carlos Alberto, Beckenbauer, Moore, Facchetti; Gerson, Charlton; Best, Pele, Eusebio, Dzajic

Top 3:
    1. Best
    2. Charlton
    3. Dzajic

Titanlux, PDG1978 and Tom Stevens repped this.
  3. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Tom, I follow the threads with attention and I tried to make my list of 23, but it was quite difficult to me for the cases of the split seasons here. I prefer to vote when I'm more sure of each of my elections so as not to influence the results of those who are more secure.

By the way, it seems somewhat easier to vote for the ideal team and the top 3.

Tom Stevens repped this.
  4. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Can this also be explained in some way? Without glancing over the obvious individual weaknesses (e.g. Pele outscored by his team mates).

Note here Best actually won his BdO with an ultra low percentage.

5. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Finalists

BEST, George (Northern Ireland & Manchester United)
    CHARLTON, Bobby (England & Manchester United)
    DZAJIC, Dragan (Yugoslavia & Red Star Belgrade)

Team of the Season

GK: ZOFF, Dino (Italy & Napoli)
    CB: FIGUEROA, Elías (Chile & Peñarol)
    CB: MOORE, Bobby (England & West Ham United)
    RB: CARLOS ALBERTO (Brazil & Santos)
    LB: SCHNELLINGER, Karl-Heinz (Germany & AC Milan)
    CM: BECKENBAUER, Franz (Germany & Bayern Munich)
    CM: CHARLTON, Bobby (England & Manchester United)
    RW: BEST, George (Northern Ireland & Manchester United)
    LW: DZAJIC, Dragan (Yugoslavia & Red Star Belgrade)
    FW: RIVERA, Gianni (Italy & AC Milan)
    FW: EUSÉBIO (Portugal & Benfica)

Looks like an all-time team.

I'm not sure about the centre-backs. I hesitated between Figueroa and Shesternyov. I think Figueroa had already achieved a very good status in Uruguay in 1967 and 1968, but I'm not so sure if his performances were constant between the 2 intermediate semesters.

I had Fazlagic very much in mind for the right-back spot, but I think Carlos Alberto reaches his best level more or less at that point.

Choosing between Rivera and Tostao has also been difficult for me.

Gregoriak, Tom Stevens and PDG1978 repped this.
  6. Ariaga II

Ariaga II Member

Dec 8, 2018
    I already made that list weeks ago, so I'm not sure if I remember all the details. The inclusion of Pele is based on his all-around reputation, and also because there was a spot available in the centre where there wasn't an obvious candidate.

As I mentioned, the Brazilian tour was a high profile event during this time, and while Pele didn't play, it was obvious he was still the main guy in Brazil, so that's why he's in. Not sure what you mean about being outscored by teammates, Santos or NT or what? Santos' league numbers don't really matter, because that was somewhere in the bottom of priorities for them. They were a sideshow, a travelling carnival where Pele was the attraction, and the other guys were there to make up the numbers.

7. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Yes, of course @TomStevens. I had it prepared but could not post it earlier. Well, anyway, here it is :

------------------Zoff-------------------
    C.Alberto------Beckenbauer------Facchetti
    ----------Osim-----------Moore-----------
    ----------Charlton---------Pelé------
    ---Best----------Tostao---------Dzajic

or

Beckenbauer-Moore
    Charlton-Osim-Tostao and Pelé at the cf position but you can see why I prefer the first template.

1. Pelé
    2. George Best
    3. Dragan Dzajic
    4. Robert Charlton
    5. Franz Beckenbauer

Banks would be my #1 bis. Well, at least he's my gk #2. As for Pantelic (who is my #1 in '67), I think that he shown his limitations in those high-profiled games. Zoff : benefits of the beginner's luck.
    This is a fact (told by himself and wich is objectively a 'true fact') for manys now that Rivera had his best season here, one year before his ballon d'or but... I think that his NT career with dots would have influenced myself, and work against his favor.
    Also, I imagine that I would have been impressed by he rise of Tostao (and the duo that he constituted with Pelé) whilst I would have judged that Eusebio was a bit stagnant (in spite of his goals, against Juve... this Juve...). Tostao and Pelé can really make the plays and score. Eusébio was still young enough but so was Tostao, who was even way younger ofc (5 years younger). Also, then, we know that the Portuguese forward's game never really evolved in spite of this number 10 printed on the back of his shirt.
    He could make plays in the last meters though, that's for sure. But in my view, it is more thanks to his explosivity, that he still has, for the moment. Yeah, I can be influenced a bit by the following of his career for a little part of my choice ('little', I believe, yet) .

Tom Stevens and PDG1978 repped this.
  8. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #408 PuckVanHeel, Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Really, what did Beckenbauer do this season (in whatever substantial form or shape) to merit a number five spot? It's like Modric being there for this current one (who had NT wise still a good game against Spain for example). The Iniesta of the 1970s.

I have a bit of the same with Pele (you had him not in top 10 in 1967 and now a big jump to number one? What's the massive difference?). Despite both selecting in my 23.

9. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Yeah.

Played for national team.

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  10. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Right now there are 9 players tied (3 votes each) for the last spots 3 spots 23 man shortlist. There is one final vote to come that may clear it up to a degree but I suspect a tiebreaker will be needed. The tiebreaker for podium and team of the season is votes in the 23.

Having a run off would take to long in my opinion, I would rather have a simple method for tiebreakers in the 23. My thought is this: these lists tend to be biased for attackers, maybe the most defensive player is the tiebreaker. Will help balance the lists to a degree. What are everyones thoughts?

Perú FC repped this.
  11. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Juventus Football Clube Ajax Mineiro de Deportes
    Jun 11, 2012
    Which ones?
    I can change my LB to Schnellinger if that changes anything.

12. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I can't stop anyone from going back and counting the votes themselves but I don't want to publicize my counting of the votes to solicit changes. I would rather have everyone vote what they think is the best 23.

So if you want to change a vote you are more than welcome, I have changed mine more than once, but I would like you to do it because you think it is a better 23.

annoyedbyneedoflogin repped this.
  13. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Juventus Football Clube Ajax Mineiro de Deportes
    Jun 11, 2012
    Then I will leave it as it is.
    The only thing that could change it is the feedback from Germany, requested weeks ago.

14. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Just a short remark/ note/ precision : the Eusebio v Tostao discussion occured several times. For me, it was a triangle with Riva.

15. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    Exactly, there are 9 players tied to 3 votes, from the 21st to the 29th position. Only 3 fit in the top 23. My opinion is this: Zoff is in 7 lists of the ideal XI, Moore, in 5, Schnellinger in 2 and the others 6 in none. The easiest and logical thing is to put Zoff, Moore and Schnellinger in the top 23. The other 6 will remain as honorable mentions.

16. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    I wrote about Prieto, Figueroa andFouilloux among chileans, already.

For Peru, the players peaking in this period were Perico Leon and Baylon (Alianza), Chumpitaz and Chale (Universitario). Close to them, De la Torre and Gallardo (Cristal), Mifflin, Cubillas.

17. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Dzajic: to be honest I don't know how he did outside the Euro - this involves a bit of guesswork and is based on him winning Eastern Europe Best player in a landslide, being features in all kind of XI, his high BD playment.... He also won Yugoslavian Athlete of the Year, which was the first time for a football player.
    Gerson: mentioned as player of the year by JdS and the only "lock" for the NT alongside Pelé; apparently (one of) best player in both Rio state editions; featuring in different XI.

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  18. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Seen it in Buchan. I'll to post the game report if I find it.

I thought about it in the meantime and I have to agree with this.
    CAT 1st and Facchetti 2nd

I will include Shesternev.

Interesting, I will look into it, however I doubt there is enough space to include him.

19. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Very helpful post, thanks.

Not much to add - only this:
    Facchetti was actually rated ahead of Schnellinger until the 27th matchday. Milan won the title at that point - I don't know if Inter/Facchetti really had anything to play for after that, given how ICFC spots were decided randomly. Might have rested for the Euros.

20. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    My List:

Albert
    Amancio
    Ball
    Beckenbauer
    Best
    Carlos Alberto
    Charlton
    Cruijff
    Domenghini
    Dzajic
    Eusebio
    Facchetti
    Figueroa
    Gerson
    Jairzinho
    Lubanski
    Mazzola
    Netzer
    Pele
    Rivera
    Shesternyov
    Streltsov
    Tostao

Tom Stevens, Titanlux and PDG1978 repped this.
  21. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Thanks, I also would like to see this for the others not explained by you already.

22. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Going back to Lubanski and Player of the Year in Poland, I did notice on Deyna's Wikipedia page (maybe the Polish one I think though if I remember correctly, translated by copying the address into a Google search and clicking translate page) that he was awarded a Player of the Season award for 1968/69 (relevant to the new thread of course not this one).

I have a feeling that is a different award to the one English Wikipedia states Lubanski won in 1967 and 1970 with no award being given in between. Just like there are different awards in the Netherlands as Puck has told us.

23. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Do you want to submit a top three and team of the season?

24. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Final voting results for 23 man shortlist. Seven players were unanimous selections, everyone with four votes or more made it, totaling 21 players. 9 players were tied for the final two spots with three votes a piece. Using both the tiebreakers talked about, most defensive position and most selections for team of the year, there is an agreement that Moore and Zoff win the tiebreaker. Final 23 is bolded.

Amancio 9
    Best 9
    Charlton 9
    Dzajic 9
    Eusebio 9
    Lubanski 9
    Rivera 9
    Gerson 8
    Pele 8
    Mazzola 8
    Pirri 7
    Carlos Alberto 7
    Beckenbauer 7
    Tostao 7
    Prati 6
    Cruyff 6
    Shesternyov 6
    Jairzinho 5
    Figueroa 5
    Facchetti 5
    Domenghini 4

Riva 3
    Moore 3
    Schnellinger 3
    Bell 3
    Veron 3
    Zoff 3
    Byshovets 3
    Van Himst 3
    Netzer 3
    Bosquier 2
    Osim 2
    Peters 2
    Dunai 2
    McNiell 2
    Szucs 2
    Ball 2
    Streltsov 2
    Albert 2
    Adamec 1
    Spencer 1
    Bremner 1
    Nene 1
    Albrecht 1
    Banks 1
    Fazlajic 1
    Perfumo 1
    Holcer 1

Perú FC, Titanlux and PDG1978 repped this.
  25. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Final 23 man shortlist for 1967-68

Amancio (Real Madrid, Spain)
    Best, George (Manchester United, Northern Ireland)
    Beckenbauer, Franz (Bayern Munich, West Germany)
    Carlos Alberto Torres (Santos, Brazil)
    Charlton, Bobby (Manchester United, England)
    Cruyff, Johan (Ajax, Netherlands)
    Domenghini, Angelo (Internazionale, Italy)
    Dzajic, Dragan (Red Star Belgrade, Yugoslavia)
    Eusebio (Benfica, Portugal)
    Facchetti, Giacinto (Internazionale, Italy)
    Figeuroa, Elias (Penarol)
    Gerson (Botafogo, Brazil)
    Jairzinho (Botafogo, Brazil)
    Lubanski, Wlodzimierz (Gornik Zabrze, Poland)
    Mazzola, Sandro (Internazionale, Italy)
    Moore, Bobby (West Ham, England)
    Pele (Santos, Brazil)
    Pirri (Real Madrid, Spain)
    Prati, Pierino (AC Milan, Italy)
    Rivera, Gianni (AC Milan, Italy)
    Shesternyov, Albert (CSKA Moscow, Soviet Union)
    Tostao (Cruzeiro, Brazil)
    Zoff, Dino (Napoli, Italy)