BigSoccer Bundesliga Prediction League?

Discussion in 'Germany' started by TrooperBari, Jul 30, 2002.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    Is there any interest in doing a Bundesliga prediction league like the one we did for the last season?

The first league game is on August 9, so this would be a good time to start getting things together.

2. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
  3. Eisern Union

Eisern Union New Member

Jul 4, 2002
    Berlin
    Sure, how does it work (I assume we predict things)?

4. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Count me in, guys. Don't know how it works, but guessing it's all about well-informed and educated predictions.

5. calcioplaya

calcioplaya New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    dont know how it works either but I'm in

6. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in. I suggest we do it like the MLS prediction league. 2 pts. for getting the right result, extra .5 for right goal differential, another .5 for exact score. They also have a bonus for correctly predicting a 3+goal victory, but I'm not sure what it is. Other options are also acceptable.

7. Eisern Union

Eisern Union New Member

Jul 4, 2002
    Berlin
    Do you get extra points for picking a tie, which is much more difficult to do?

8. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You get the .5 for point differential + 2 for correct result.

9. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Picking a tie is the easiest. If you give extra points for the right difference you automatically have a bonus, which is a little bit of a farce as it's not really possible to miss the right difference when predicting a tie.
    My favourite version is 1 pt for the right outcome (win/tie/loss) and 3 pts for the right result without any other criteria.

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    That's what I was envisioning. It shouldn't be too complicated, just a nice, straighforward 'call the score' set-up with a bonus for getting the final score exactly right.

We can't all be MENSA members, after all. ;)

11. Brihodge

Brihodge New Member

Apr 27, 2001
    Unterwegs
    I'd be in if you start it.

12. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    No rush, Brihodge. :)

So will it be the same setup as last season?

13. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Last year's counting was weird. Let's just count points - and not outcome and right results seperately. What about having one topic for all predictions instead of opening a new one every week as in the last season (though, that would contain the danger of a database crash)?

14. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    Sounds like a good idea. Either way we'd lose the data if there was another crash but I can save everything to a word document.

15. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    Bundesliga begins this weekend!

We should get this up and running soon...

17. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Bundesliga begins this weekend!

How should we score? Give your thoughts.

18. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    i'll give it a shot.

so is this how we are going to do it?

19. wolfsburgh

wolfsburgh Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Keep it simple: 1 point for a correct pick (win, loss, or draw). Winner of the week is the one with the most points (with number of correct scores being a tie break). Winner at the end of the year is either the one with the most cumulative points, or the one who won the most weeks (this is easier, since a cumulative score of all points from all weeks need not be kept), or both.

20. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    That's not exactly what I call simple. Simple is one point for win/loss/draw and 3 for the correct result - then you need this as the one and only category. For your way of counting points you need three different categories (points/correct scores/most wins) - way too complicated I think, and also it doesn't really honor the difficulty of predicting a score correctly.

21. Eisern Union

Eisern Union New Member

Jul 4, 2002
    Berlin
    One problem with this (which I expressed earlier): Ties occur much less often that wins and losses, so if there is no compensation for picking a tie then no intellegent player ever would.

22. wolfsburgh

wolfsburgh Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    "That's not exactly what I call simple."

Actually, I think it is the simplest version. The tabulator goes down each person's prediction list and for every correct result, the person gets a point. Most points (correct predictions) wins the week. Simple. If at the at end of the week, more than one person has the highest number of points, you go back and see who has predicted accurately the most scores as a tiebreak. So ostensibly, there is only going to be one calculation per contestant unless there's a tie between two or more contestants, in which case the second calculation (number of correct scores) would only have to be done for those who are tied (as opposed to all contestants. Under a 3/1 system, you have to make two calculations per contestant.

23. wolfsburgh

wolfsburgh Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    "it doesn't really honor the difficulty of predicting a score correctly."

I think predicting the score correctly is mostly luck and, moreover, skews results. Under the 3/1 system, a person who predicts 7 out of 9 correctly (but gets no scores exactly right) earns the same number of points as the person who gets 3 out of 9 correctly (but lucks out and guesses two scores correctly). That does not seem fair, since I certainly believe the person who predicted 7/9 did a much better job than the person who predicted 3/9.

24. wolfsburgh

wolfsburgh Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    "three different categories . . . most wins"

If you want to make this a season-long competition, you need some sort of cumulative scorekeeping device under any system. The only two that come immediately to mind are cumulative points over the course of the season, most "most wins" (and by that, I mean most weeks won, not most scores predicted, as that would be the same as cumulative points). The latter is easier, since it is a heck of a lot easier to keep a running total of weeks won as opposed to total points.

25. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with Wolfsburgh. You should get a small bonus for exact score. That's why the MLS pool is 2 for right result, 2.5 for guessing a tie, and 3 for exact score. Fairly simple and should minimize posters getting the same weekly result.