biggest upset in WC history

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by ScoringChance, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Enganche

Enganche Red Card

Apr 30, 2003
    I'm with JoseP the Algeria-West Germany game in 1982 ranks as the biggest upset since that World Cup. Nobody outside of Algeria knew much about their players but they went on to beat the eventual runnerup. Cameroon did the same to Argentina in 1990 but Cameroon 1990, unlike Algeria 1982, went on to win other games in that World Cup. Of course, as JoseP noted, West Germany and Austria went on to screw Algeria over in the final group game. I've never supported either Germany or Austria since.

But I also side with leonidas if we expand this poll to other Cups, North Korea's victory over Italy in 1966 was probably the biggest of all time.

2. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Definitely agree. I'm still scratching my head at that game. Showed Brazil's achilles heel in that tournament...no depth.

3. robby241

robby241 New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    US
    Senegal over France. who the hell saw that one coming?

4. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I do not know about that. Almost everyone smelled a Senegal upset in this forum. I planned to bet a lot of money for Senegal to win, but changed my mind because everyone I knew was betting on Senegal to win.

5. Jaison

Jaison New Member

May 6, 2005
    Tristan da Cunha
    I know this is pre-82, but perhaps the biggest upset of all time was The Miracle of Bern, Germany's 3-2 victory over Hungary in the '54 final. Hungary was considered the overwhelming favorite to win the WC in 1954. They were undefeated since May 1950, and had famously thrashed England 6-3 at Wembley in '53 (the 1st team to beat England in England). They then tore through the WC (including beating Germany 8-3 in the group stages) and were seemingly invincible. The final itself was amazing, as Hungary scored twice in the first 8 minutes only for the Germans to score 2 back in a space of 10 minutes, then eventually, Helmut Rahn scored the winner in the 84th minute.

6. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Bad thread title, but if you read his first post you'd see why your choice isn't listed.

7. Champagne Football

Champagne Football New Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Australia 1 Brazil 0 (2006) :D

8. WALDO

WALDO Member

Feb 20, 2005
    BURBANK
    I think USA beating England in 1950 maybe the biggest, although they say N. Korea beating Italy was a bigger upset.

9. ThreeStars

ThreeStars Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Berlin, Germany
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I go along with you. Before the world cup, the main German Football Mag "Kicker" made a laugh of Cameroons President having asked Roger Milla to play for the Cameroon National Team. Milla gave all the right answers. Cameroon showed excellent offensive play and should have beat England, too, but alas...

Greatest upset for Germany was the 0:1 against Austria in Cordoba in 1978. The losses against Croatia and Bulgaria were not upsets. We had very poor overaged teams in those World Cups.
    Greatest upset by Germany was 3:2 against Hungary in 1954.

10. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Where is North Korea - Italy from 1966? The commies beat the Azzurri 1-0 and when that Italian team returned to Italy, the fans threw tomatoes at the whole squad.

11. spoonman

spoonman Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Germany winning the Worldcup of 1954 and 1974.

The rest of the upsets are nothing compared to these ones.

Edit: now i read recent history, so nevermind

12. Buschkauz

Buschkauz New Member

Apr 4, 2005
    im Pfälzer Wald
    overall:
    w. germany 3 vs. hungary 2 1954
    biggest upset in wc history

recent:
    france losing to senegal

13. spoonman

spoonman Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yeah, France failing to score a single goal in their attempt to defend a worldtitle

hahaha

14. Jaison

Jaison New Member

May 6, 2005
    Tristan da Cunha
    54 I can see, but 74 wasn't exactly a huge upset. I mean, the Dutch squad was absolutely amazing, but so was the German squad. When you have the likes of Beckenbauer, Müller, Breitner, Overath, Vogts and Meier win a WC, it's not exactly a major upset. The 74 final had two of the greatest WC squads ever assembled.

15. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    For me as a German I think it has to be 1978 Germany 2-3 Austria, which is still vividly remembered as "Dis Schande von Cordoba" (the disgrace of Cordoba).

As a close second there would be the 0-1 defeat against East Germany in 1974, but this didn't hinder West Germany to win it all, so even though it was a huge upset, it's not that relevant.

On the other hand there is also 1954, where football-minnow Germany got smashed 8-3 by Hungary in the first round, and then made it all the way to the final to beat the allmighty favourits, who haven't lost a game in almost 5 years 3-2.

Apart from Germany the most significant upsets I think are Senegal-France in 2002 and USA-England in 1950.

16. Regency

Regency Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Toronto
    Does Ireland defeating Italy 1-0 in 1994 merit any consideration?

17. Juve_passion redded

Mar 9, 2005
    The biggest upset in WC history so far would be North Korea's win by the same score over Italy in 1966.
    North korea was the newcomer in WC, and beat the GIANT.
    That never happened so far except Senegal beating France.

So I would say North Korea rather than Senegal.

18. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I don't see how Senegal over France is even an upset, let alone the biggest since 1982 (which according to the poll, it is).

Consider:
    -France did not win a single game or even score a single goal the entire tournament
    -Senegal reached the quarterfinals

Some of the other upsets are huge because, like for example 1950 USA beating England, USA won that game and then got killed in the rest of their games. That's why it was a huge upset, even though England's loss to Spain kinda ruins it a little. If England had won all their other games and then failed to advance because of the USA, it would have been by far the biggest upset ever. However, England wouldn't have advanced anyways (Spain went undefeated in the group and only one team advanced at that time) so maybe England were just overrated. Afterall, in 1950 the only team they managed to beat was Chile...

That's why I voted Algeria over West Germany. Algeria came up huge in that game, but other than that, didn't really do a whole lot. Germany on the other hand advanced to the championship game and took 2nd place in the tournament!

19. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Algeria 2-1 West Geermany. I am surprised. The other German poster also ignored this result.

20. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Senegla also got a lot of pre-tournament hype for the game. Many posters, including myself, thought Senegal could pull an upset.

1)Senegal used French-based players only and was coached by a Frencg coach. Most people thought they were familiar with the French.

2)Since 1974 when the defending champion opened the WC, all but West Germany 1994 failed to win their first match.

3)Cameroon 1990 and Nigeria 1994 opened the door for African teams. people expected Senegal to be the team in 2002.

I actually thought Senegal and France would get out of that Group.

21. Monarch Bay Beachbum

Apr 5, 2004
    The OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SAME PICK-SAME REASON

If I used all of WC history I would definitely choose USA-England from 1950

22. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Well, it depends on the definition of upset. In a sense, Germany was in it's prime and Algeria was a nobody so it was a huge surprise. If that's what you mean by "uspet" then this event is clearly one of the biggest ones ever. But then again, it didn't stop Germany from reaching the final, so the result didn't really upset anyone. At least not beyond the next game.

That's also why I didn't put the East vs. West Germany game on my personal #1 even though this game was also loaded with politics.

23. DanRod78

DanRod78 New Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Kansas City, KS
    Saudi Arabia 1-0 Belgium

This game has one of the best goals in soccer history. I believe is the longest individual run before scoring.
    Belgium ended up having the best or 2nd best goal keeper in that WC allowing the least goals.

24. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Italy 0 - USA 2 June 17, 2006 Kaiserslauten, Germany :)

Nah seriously though, I think the reason a lot of people haven't picked the Algeria match is - well first age, probably many posters are too young to remember it (unlike all those who voted France - Senegal). But also because in the end the result was meaningless as Germany progressed while Algeria went home after the first round - albeit perculiar circumstances.

25. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Michel Preud'homme of Belgium was voted Goalkeeper of the Tornament and Al Owairan's goal for Saudi was the longest run before scoring. He started the run about 10-15 metres before the halfway line.