Biggest Flop in USMNT history

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by HeMan, Apr 21, 2013.

1. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    There is a chance that he is just nine months younger than Adu.

2. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was just so GD uncalled for, which is the worst part about it. Poorly timed, stupid, unnecessary, and uncalled for. I have to say, he was young, and young kids do foolish things. Heck, older players still head butt opponents when they KNOW it's an immediate sending off. So, begrudgingly, I have to forgive, but I (and most likely WE) will never forget. I love being a sports fan.

3. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Bradley and Adu did so the game earlier so they would be 'clear' for the medal round.

4. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did what, elbow a kid in the face in front of the ref?

5. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Got unnecessary 2nd yellow cards.

6. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Firstly, I agree with you about Davies. Hard to call a guy who nearly died a flop. Plus, he wasn't a highly regarded player as a youth who folks invested years of hope into (like Adu and Szetela among others), largely coming out of the blue in 2009.

But primarily your WC 2006 comments took me a bit down memory lane. In addition to JOB and Mathis significantly hurting the potential of that 2006 team, I've also felt that Gibbs' late injury really hurt our back line and that Eddie Johnson's lack of progress from his breakout production in 2004-2005 contributed to the gutting of the US attack. EJ scored 8 international goals between October 2004 and March 2005, and then only 1 more goal in the next 2+ years. I know that in 2005 I was getting my hopes up for O'Brien as the US field "general" feeding Mathis and EJ up top.

7. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think better. Davies was rounding into real form around that time. He was blazing fast, a real threat that required constant attention from the back four. Gooch is a bit of a question mark. He was a lock starter, and his loss put a lot of doubt in terms of who would replace him as there just wasn't a clear choice, enough so that even in his very limited form after recovering, he played in S. Africa. His health, would have at least made it so we never had to worry about who was starting ni his spot. Whether his play on the field would have been what we would have hoped, no one has any clue.

It was a pretty devastating time though for the team, and I'm not sure we have recovered from the loss of Davies. Gooch's loss ultimately and still is allowing others to try and stake their claim.

8. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    has anyonemmentioned jurgen yet???

9. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Why are you bringing that into this thread? Please stop.

10. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well maybe he is the biggest flop. some people have these grandiose expectations.

Personally he is doing about as well as I thought he could given his average coaching ability.

we pay for his pedigree and his fame.

11. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    The OP said this:

So, obviously this is for players. Thanks. Let's go back to fighting in the Klinsmann thread ;)

soccersubjectively repped this.
  12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
  13. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    then its definitely Freddy Adu given the hype surrounding him by MLS reporters back in 2003-2006 and such.

ImaPuppy repped this.
  14. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would players ending their careers early due to injuries but having huge potential count as flops?

15. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that seems unfair though. bo jackson wasnt a flop. just unlucky.

16. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Nah, I'd imagine if it was something out of their power/development as a player it wouldn't count.

17. Miguel Myers

Miguel Myers Member+

Dec 3, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I will have to agree with this in terms of recent times. I just remember hearing a ton about him, and he played well in 2011 against Argentina...but that game against Honduras was just plain bad.

18. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    MLS first reported on their website that Walker went to NY via lottery. They pulled the story down and introduced this rule when called out that NY had already won a lottery. I know Walker had never played with the US at that time making the story that much more ridiculous. Bending, breaking and making up rules for one team. One of the reasons I view MLS as a corporation as opposed to a sports league.

I don't know if Davies is a flop as much as a moron. Staying out past curfew and riding home with a drunk while training is just plain stupid. Not to mention one person in the car is dead, one is in prison and one is playing soccer while suing for damages. He never had the hype of Adu (no American has) but certainly made a poor decision.

19. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
  20. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Steve Snow is in the injured as opposed to flop category.

soccersubjectively and Zoidberg repped this.
  21. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    I just wanted to see if someone knew who the hell Steve Snow was.

22. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    How about Adie Cocher?

23. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    Ah yes, this again. Explain to me how the coach that has lead the USMNT to its most successful year (based on winning percentage) and more importantly stole a point in Azteca in WCQ is the biggest flop...

24. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    You're not aware of this poster?

25. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a soccer player, Bo Jackson was a huge dissappointment...