Bibiana Steinhaus

Discussion in 'Referee' started by unclesox, May 19, 2017.

1. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    BTFOOM, dadman, Boandlkramer and 2 others repped this.
  2. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to her on a well deserved nomination. Hopefully she'll inspire more girls to become referees.

BTFOOM repped this.
  3. refontherun

refontherun Member+

Jul 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTFOOM repped this.
  4. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well depends how you define "major." USSF FIFA women worked MLS in the late 1990s. In one of the major European leagues? Yes, it's a first if she gets whistles.

The chances are nil, unless the selection process really changes with VAR and then the expansion to 48 teams. But still probably nil. And definitely nil that she'd have a whistle.

There's a very good chance you'll see her on a German crew next year in European competition as an AAR. Brych, Aytekin, Zwayer, Grafe and possibly others will all lead crews. AARs are FIFA- or national-listed from the same federation. So unless UEFA feels she's too needed on women's UCL matches to get cross-assigned into the men's UCL or EL, it will happen because she's part of a finite pool of German referees that the DFB can nominate now.

It won't be unprecedented, though. Nelly Viennot, a French AR, regularly worked the UCL last decade including, I believe, in knockout matches. She was also on the shortlist to go to WC2006, but failed fitness at one of the final seminars. She's the closet a woman has ever come to making it to a men's World Cup.

dadman, unclesox and cmonref repped this.
  5. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #5 Cliveworshipper, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
    tomek75, unclesox and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  6. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    And...
    In Venezuela, Emikar Caldera and Yersinia Correa have been refereeing first division matches for three years.

And Virginia Tovar refereed in liga MX in 2004.

unclesox repped this.
  7. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Bibi is my hero. I wear a yellow whistle in her honor. :inlove:

BTFOOM, uniqueconstraint, dadman and 3 others repped this.
  8. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Steinhaus is an outstanding referee and deserves it. She'll do great.

cmonref repped this.
  9. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Her taste in men is absolute crap. ;)

uniqueconstraint repped this.
  10. cmonref

cmonref Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Stillwater
    What's wrong with Webb?

11. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    She has to deal with things most refs dont.

Law5 repped this.
  12. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    Surprised it took till post #11.

13. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    She just had the Women's Champions League final this year. First time since 2007 that there's no German team in the final. Back then the final was still two-legged - Christine Beck and Nicole Petignat were in charge.

14. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Her first match for the new club season is a fairly high profile one: German Cup first round tie on Sunday, Bayern Munich away to third division Chemnitzer FC.
    Fist time she will center a Bayern match.

BTFOOM and MetroFever repped this.
  15. BTFOOM

BTFOOM Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    MD, USA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Of course I'm a bit biased, but having her as CR for a club like Bayern is a massive step forward. Bayern are certainly a top 5 World Wide club and even a German Cup is a big match for any ref when they are playing. I expect her to do a great job and hopefully move on to bigger and better things.

16. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Btw, I said the game was on Sunday but it's actually on Saturday.

17. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    It seems very odd to me that there is a thread devoted to following the games and career of just one referee.
    Perhaps we should have individual threads for other referees,
    or merge this one into "Bundesliga refereeing" or something along those lines.
    Do we even have threads for leagues other than MLS and EPL?

PH

18. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    She handled the practical joke by Ribery very well:

19. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She should have made him tie it back. And I agree, he handled it well.

20. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    If you don't understand the significance of what this particular ref is doing, and why it deserves its own thread, well, I don't know what to tell ya.

Justin Z and dadman repped this.
  21. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh, I'm kind of with Pierre Head here. I totally get announcing she made the Bundesliga list and then the initial discussion we had about other female referees who have been involved in top men's competitions worldwide. But following her every game, if that's what this thread becomes, seems out of place to me. The dedicated extra attention, in fact, seems to implicitly reinforce the belief that she is different from the other referees and and potentially out of place. She did a cup match this weekend between Bayern and a third division team. I could be wrong, but I actually think she's done cup matches involving first division teams in the past, so this really isn't a big deal.

That said, I'm not offended by the discussion and don't have a problem if people are really interested in following her in this way. I just see the other side of the coin and tend to personally lean in that direction.

dadman and Pierre Head repped this.
  22. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    This was my intention in starting the thread. Thought there was already a thread on just her but there wasn't.
    And then when I saw her name listed for the Bayern match I thought I'd make note of it. But I wasn't planning on every appointment.
    In hindsight, I should have started a general Bundesliga thread. :oops:

dadman repped this.
  23. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    The two are not connected. I do understand the significance of her success (although as MR points out other people mentioned other female referees working in top leagues in other countries so she is not unique in that regard), but it still does not deserve a
    dedicated thread.
    Not to take anything away from her Bundesliga work, I notice she did not get a semifinal whistle
    let alone the final (only a 4th in both cases) in the recent Euro Women's Tournament and Germany had been eliminated,
    so there are other female referees in Europe who seem to be higher rated anyway.

So maybe you can come up with something to tell me after all, (but on 2nd thoughts probably not!).

PH

24. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013