BH, CD, KK, CB, MCBRIDE: Fulham v. Aston Villa - 2/3

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by El Steve, Feb 1, 2008.

1. gmodo

gmodo New Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh my god we actually won, COME YOU WHITES!!!

so glad to see brian again!

2. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSS! What a game! Glad to see Mcbride back.

3. Principal Firebush

Principal Firebush Smorgy Borgy Borgy

Jun 20, 2006
    Ohio
    Bullard was great. Villa have been struggling for a while but Ashley Young has been rescuing them with his deliveries on set pieces. Good to see Fulham win. :(

4. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Fulham actually look like a fairly good team now. Quite pssible for them to put some wins together.

5. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I believe, been saying it all along, somehow we will stay up!:) A gift from the GODS! LOL

6. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this at least earns a week of less "Fulham is the worst team I have ever seen" nonsense.

Get a healthy lineup with some intelligent management and it's a good squad. The result is justified, IMHO. They weren't the clear-cut better team, but they looked decent today.

McBride and Kamara definitely helped the attack as time went on. Dempsey was very good today, but Kamara worked his ass off for once and his pace was an asset.

7. gmodo

gmodo New Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 points behind reading COME ON we can do it.

8. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    With Dempsey, Bullard, and to a lesser extent Davies in the midfield now, you actually have a team that can possess the ball. Obviously that's down to a bit of good fortune there, with Bullard returning and viable striker options re-emerging, but you probably have to give some credit to Hodgson for the shift in playing style too.

9. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    This side now looks like a EPL caliber club. With mcbride, bullard and dempsey playing in his proper position, they could do very very well. I'm excited to see what the speed of EJ will be able to do. Niemi still gives me the heeby jeebies though... and Bullard looks like the 80's movie Mask

10. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    I'm thinking the time in Senegal has done some good. Electric pace to set up that winning free kick. With McBride and Johnson in training, Fulham actually have some decent attacking options.

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Very good win El Steve! Things are looking up. The defense is really shored up under Roy. Hangeland was a great signing even if the replaced player has been Bocanegra. (Although I'd like to see how the Boca-Brede combination would do). I also thought Andreasson added a lot in the midfield. His contribution shouldn't be overlooked, because Fulham really have missed that type of plyer. And Bullard was excellent.

For neutral YA fans one thing just occured to me. If Fulham are going to stay up the team they need to catch is........................Reading.

12. dcpohl

dcpohl Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always think of the lead singer from My Chemical Romance, but I think that comparison is much better. There are a few striking similarities.

13. dcpohl

dcpohl Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get rid of Baird and maybe find a replacement for Murphy and all will be well.

14. gmodo

gmodo New Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, if we put Stalteri in for Baird we'd have a respectable back 4

15. BKcitystriker

BKcitystriker Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    You've got to say, besides Nevlad, who really didn't make much of an impression, Fulham did well in the window with Hangleman and Andreasan.

I think they should give Kamara more look (and maybe achem EJ?!) up to with pace, let dempsey drop back into that right sided mid-field postion where he played today.

It's amazing, I really was convinced FFC was going down this year. But after this spirited performance, ya gotta believe that they can put some players in their to get it done...

and ps. RIP carlos bocanegra

16. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, I wouldn't kill off Bocanegra just yet. I'm not totally sold on Hughes.

Besides, need him for the possibility for Fulham to start SEVEN North Americans in a game.

17. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    What a goal from Bullard, what a win. They're playing better football, they still have weak links. Murphy lost the ball far too often, Chris Baird, just atrocious in the first half but at least defended well in the second. I can't imagine Baird maintains a starting role with Stalteri coming in.

I'm hoping to see EJ in the next match, I think he can serve a bit better in a lone role over Nevland. He didn't really have much to work with but seemed lost to me.

Regardless, what a huge 3 points against a top half club. This is the type of game that can turn around a season, give confidence to the lads and whatnot. The whole season they've experienced devastating collapse after devastating collapse, this time they actually overcame. With a host of new faces and new found confidence I'm confident Fulham have the quality and mentality to stay up.

18. dcpohl

dcpohl Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fyp

19. Principal Firebush

Principal Firebush Smorgy Borgy Borgy

Jun 20, 2006
    Ohio
    Looking at it again and I think Guzan would have saved that free kick. :D

20. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    by jove....i think your right :cool:

and no, dont count out boca, especially with what Hughes and Konch did today. I like boca as left back for this team, may not be his home, but most likely position to play for this squad

21. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they will fight there way out of relegation, but you can't overlook some glaring problems. Their play breaks down amateurishly at times and some weak spots are really, really weak. I think that Murphy may be the worst player in the league.

But they look better than they have recently.

22. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boca is definatley not out, Baird's playis horrible sometimes, and Hughes isnt so great either.

23. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I'm not a big Murphy fan, but I doubt that a former Liverpool starter and England international is the worst player in the league.

24. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watch the Bullard free kick carefully. McBride is in the wall and the kick is aimed directly at him. As the kick is delivered McBride squats to the ground and he must have moved backwards, because the Villa player collapsed on top of him. So there was no-one who could intercept the ball.

25. dcpohl

dcpohl Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he was going to be an impact player for Fulham after he hit the post at Stamford Bridge. What a goal that would have been! Would of broken Chelsea's home undefeated record and Fulham's away winless streak all in one strike. But since then, he's had poor touches, holds on to the ball too long and is easily squeezed off the ball.