Best World cup side in your era?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Pirlopurity, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Pirlopurity

Pirlopurity Member

Jun 12, 2015
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    For me, it would have to be out of Brazil 1994 and Germany 2014. I was initially going to say Brazil 94, they were simply unbeatable and were always going to win that tournament despite going to penalties vs Italy in the Final. They dominated that game and deserved the result. Pity Baggio wasn't fit as the game would have taken a different shape but that's not to say Brazil wouldn't have won. On the chances created they should have really won by 2-3 goals and they boasted the likes of Romario, Bebeto, Branco, Dunga and co.

Germany however destroyed Portugal 4-0, then beat powerhouse nations France, Brazil and Argentina in the final. That's some pretty lethal talent there with the likes of Ronaldo, Benzema, Pogba, Messi etc. 7-1 demolition of Brazil was crazy even if they had Neymar and Silva on the sidelines. The Germans were also missing dynamic midfielder Reus who was ruled out through injury before the world cup.

There can always be cases made for injuries, hypotheticals and controversies at every world cup and various match's that take place but these two nations were the deserved winners for the tournament.

Back to Brazil 94 and they had good wins vs the Dutch and Swede's in the quarters and semi's, drew with the Swede's in the group and easily disposed of Cameroon and Russia. Tough second round game vs host nation USA which they overcame 1-0. Looking at the opposition, and the results, I'm going to have to override what I've thought for years in that Brazil 94 was the best world cup winning team I've seen and go with Germany 2014.

Brazil's results

2-0 Russia
    3-0 Cameroon
    1-1 Sweden
    1-0 USA
    3-2 Holland
    1-0 Sweden
    0-0 Italy ( 3-2 win on shootout }

Germany

4-0 Portugal
    2-2 Ghana
    1-0 USA
    2-1 Algeria a.e.t
    1-0 France
    7-1 Brazil
    1-0 Argentina a.e.t

Brazil 11 goals scored 3 against.
    Germany 18 goals scored 4 against

Special mention to my team Italy who in 2006 scored 12 goals and conceded just 2 where no nation scored against us during open play. One was an own goal to Christian Zaccardo against USA and the other was from the spot in the final converted by Zinedine Zidane. We had the perfect balance of defence and attack and could score goals which we lacked in previous tournaments. Beat Germany in Germany in the semi finals at fortress Dortmund where up until that point had never lost a match. Italy was a team of destiny and no matter the circumstances whether it would be playing with ten men or going behind in a final controversially displayed it could overcome adversity and display mental toughness.

2. Pirlopurity

Pirlopurity Member

Jun 12, 2015
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    France 98, 15 goals scored, 2 conceded. Only one from open play. Also had that destiny feel about them and just couldn't be beaten, penalty shootout or not. However, soft group where they met the likes of South Africa, Saudi Arabia and Denamrk. Couldn't break a toothless Paraguay attack until the 114th minute and beat the Italians on penalties, which they deserved. 2-1 vs Croatia and a 3-0 win vs a dazed Ronaldo. Although the best team at the world cup and they deserved it, the fact they got an easy group and had a few breaks along the way like Ronaldo not being right and Zidane only getting a two match ban combined with narrow wins vs Paraguay and Italy, makes me leave them out of the above argument. I still think they would have dispatched and overrated and defensively weak Brazil regardless. As mentioned in my opening post there is always going to be what if's etc. You can only play with the circumstances given, poor officiating does change things though imo. Take nothing away from the French they were awesome and proved it two years later by claiming the Jules Rimet trophy.

Damn you Sylvain Wiltord and David Trezeguet;)